Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering this the other day and pondered to myself.......do motorcyclists dislike MB the way Skiers dislike Snowboards or Skateboarders dislike RollerBladers?

I could see it being easy for motorbikers to mock mountain bikers for being slow not going as big and having to "pedal." The typical cross sport rivalry.

I've understood a little of the skier v snowboarder rivalry. I once while riding through a cluster of very steep trees curved to slow down and a skier blows by me and says, "You snowboarders ruin all of the fresh powder." The skier was actually in my group and was a huge a-hole for starters but still I understood a little of his point. Its because we ride differently that annoys the other group. That and the people that seem to only clap there skis on the ski lift, when snowboarders pass below them. I think the elitest, richie types that ski are annoying so it of course goes back and forth. Now the boarders who sit at the bottom of jumps or drop offs well they deserved to be mocked by both sides.

I've always thought rivalries between sports are kinda cool and funny. When it gets to the point of hatred between groups though than its rather lame.

How do you guys feel? Any experiences to share, thoughts?

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
I've never felt

any tension between motos and mtn bikers in Moab, which is really the only place I ever come across them. Without fail they are as courteous to me as I am to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive been riding dirt bikes(strickly woodsrider) for years and just started mtb this past month. some of my riding buddies race 4x and downhill. i think of a mtb as a dirtbike without a motor.

you want a little friendly tension, we have a saying. moto is for pussies, i race in the woods i bang off trees.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is tension here in CT, but moreso with the ATV's (quads, etc). Limited area, once tight singletrack shredded, widened, muddied - especially in places where ATV's are not allowed, etc.. Things have gotten kind of nasty.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I would think there might be tension anywhere there is a lack of respect and consideration. Mostly it will come from mtbers towards the motorized for tearing up trails to the point where mtbers can't use them. I don't think it's intentional, but motorized trail users seem (at least a small percentage) to take pleasure in spinning their wheels in wet/muddy areas. It may be fun for them, but it ruins the trails for most other users.

·
In exile
542 Posts
I share some trails that are not really legal, but not really illegal, near my house with some quad guys and some MXers. I have tried to find the owner, but the city folks said he is cool with use, as I guess it keeps some of the riff raff out. Anyway - the quad guys rock. The MXers glare when they ride. They don't ride anything nearly as techy or steep as I do, so maybe it's jealousy, I don't know. Every time I build a stunt, ie. ladder drop or such, they tear the slats out. I have no idea why. On the other hand, I have many friends that ride both. I don't understand it all really.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I think motorized vehicles are prohibited on the trail systems that I ride (Pisgah National Forest). So I see no conflict. However I do see a conflict between mtn bikers, hikers and horse riders. Like when the horses and bikes go on trails that are for hikers only. Or like when the horses chew up the single tract. Or like when a bike rider spooks a bunch of horses. Etc... But for the most part we all get along. In fact all three groups are considering combining efforts for trail maintenance

·
Registered
5 Posts
usually all the tension is with quads. dirt bike guys don't really have a problem with mountain bikes, and they really don't cross paths much here in texas.

it does suck that there are about 5 mtb trails within 45 minutes of downtown dallas, but only about 2 trails for dirtbikes and they're all at least 2 hours drive. :(

·
noMAD man
12,105 Posts
ATV, the bane of off road.

jbroom said:
usually all the tension is with quads. dirt bike guys don't really have a problem with mountain bikes, and they really don't cross paths much here in texas.

it does suck that there are about 5 mtb trails within 45 minutes of downtown dallas, but only about 2 trails for dirtbikes and they're all at least 2 hours drive. :(
Yeah, that's a pretty strong statement, and it doesn't take in all ATV'ers, but here's what's wrong with ATVs. They don't require the kind of rider and/or skill to operate like two-wheeled vehicles, so they allow a lot of yahoos to go out in the woods and other off road venues and do irresponsible things. You even come across drunks on these things that, unfortunately, are able to stay upright without getting their necks broken...again, unfortunately. When I go to popular off road venues in Colorado and Utah, you see more and more goobers on these things doing more and more stupid things and often being a general nuisance. Since they're cheap compared to a full 4WD vehicle, and they're small so it doesn't take as much skill to navigate a full sized vehicle through treacherous terrain, more goobers show up on them.

For the most part, people on dirt motorcycles and full-sized 4WD vehicles seem generally more skilled and responsible in rough off road venues. Well, I digress. To the original point, I find dirt motor guys and MTB guys to be pretty compatible in the many, many places I've come across them while doing either of these activities.

·
2,856 Posts
TNC said:
Yeah, that's a pretty strong statement, and it doesn't take in all ATV'ers, but here's what's wrong with ATVs. They don't require the kind of rider and/or skill to operate like two-wheeled vehicles, so they allow a lot of yahoos to go out in the woods and other off road venues and do irresponsible things. You even come across drunks on these things that, unfortunately, are able to stay upright without getting their necks broken...again, unfortunately. When I go to popular off road venues in Colorado and Utah, you see more and more goobers on these things doing more and more stupid things and often being a general nuisance. Since they're cheap compared to a full 4WD vehicle, and they're small so it doesn't take as much skill to navigate a full sized vehicle through treacherous terrain, more goobers show up on them.

For the most part, people on dirt motorcycles and full-sized 4WD vehicles seem generally more skilled and responsible in rough off road venues. Well, I digress. To the original point, I find dirt motor guys and MTB guys to be pretty compatible in the many, many places I've come across them while doing either of these activities.
I know some dirtbikers and man do they get P!$$ED at the atv'ers ruining singletrack!!

They have no problem with mtb'ers. On the other hand some mtb'ers may have issues with the motorized crowd (noise, some trail damage, etc.) but remember many of the trails we ride were first explored and cut by motorcycles - think Moab and Crested Butte.

MTB'ers and motorcycle riders are more kin than enemy.

Ed E

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I MTB and have a street motorcycle, no issues here.
My problem is with roadies who insist on riding 2 or 3 wide rather than single file who think they own the road.

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
No, I ride off-road and mountain bike. I don't really see a problem. And, the skills carry over to one another

·
Registered
634 Posts
I started riding mountain bikes recently to improve my endurance and skills on my dirtbike. I've never seen any rivalry although one guy I ride with is bitter that one of the old trails cut by motorcyclist long ago is now a non-motorized trail in the middle of of an OHV area. Dirtbike riders tend to be poorly represented at the trail head. Alot of squids like to run up and down the parking lot at full throttle (in a 15mph speed limit) with a smoky un-jetted bike with a loud non-spark arrestor race pipe. Since they are the ones that are the most visible they end up giving the other 95% of us a bad rep.

·
members only
336 Posts
fred3 said:
... lack of respect and consideration... tearing up trails ...motorized trail users... take pleasure in spinning their wheels in wet/muddy areas. It may be fun for them, but it ruins the trails for most other users.
Saw just what your talking about last weekend.

strader said:
... end up giving the other 95% of us a bad rep....
Just like MTB'ers

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
xcguy said:
any tension between motos and mtn bikers in Moab, which is really the only place I ever come across them. Without fail they are as courteous to me as I am to them.
Same here.

Many MXr's are mtnbikers . Also we are on the same side when it comes to fighting for access .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I can't comment on motorbikes since I don't even know how to operate one, but I can comment on the skiing/snowboarding and skateboarding/rollerblading. I skied for something like 15 years growing up and was a snowboard basher because that was cool for kids to do. Then in college I started snowboarding and have been for almost 10 years now. Basically, I think the beef is among beginners and intermediates only. The one's that are new to the whole scene in general and the ones who think they know what's up but really don't. Once you get into expert groups, I pretty much never sense tension. It becomes more respect for everyone elses ability to rip, regardless of what tool they're doing it on.

Skateboarding and rollerblading is the same way. I skated for 10 years or so and got quite good. I hung the deck up once MTB took over, though! anyways, the same thing applies to skaters and bladers. Skaters are annoyed with all the little kids learning to skate and choking up the park. But once you get to experts on both, I think that annoyance goes away and respect develops.

·
Registered
388 Posts
thermo said:
ive been riding dirt bikes(strickly woodsrider) for years and just started mtb this past month. some of my riding buddies race 4x and downhill. i think of a mtb as a dirtbike without a motor.

you want a little friendly tension, we have a saying. moto is for pussies, i race in the woods i bang off trees.

how about this one. dirt is for worms. the street (asphalt actually) is for racing. :)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
my real issue is with roadies (guys on road bikes...you know the "bugs")

most of the trails in my neck of the woods (edmonton) lead to paved side walks and road ways...if i come off a trail head and a roadie sees me the usaul request is get the f*ck out of the way...sometimes its *ding* *ding*

if im riding down one of these paved paths that run through the river valley and i pass one of these roadies on my fr ht (kinda heavy) the usual response is "slow down" but you get the people that wont move at all because thye think they own the pavement...i liek to go fast and somehtimes that only capable on cement and if i pass one i think its jealousy because i can ride faster on my steel frame then they can on thier carbon fibre frame.

the bugs are asses and should share the road cause mtbr's use them too

1 - 20 of 48 Posts