Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been endlessly searching for a FS around a $1k and it seems like everyone just give me a ton of BS about how the brand they sell is the very best. I have to say the Cannondale frame does look really well made but I have only been able to find the Trek brands, Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant in my area. So all these "other brands" that you guys are listing sound nice but there is no try before you buy with them. I went through the reviews on here and many are limited plus many of the bikes listed are hard to find! :madman:

SO where should I look next? I am leaning towards the Cannondale, but that is solely on a 'pretty' frame. But is it too heavy? Are there other non big name (internet available only) brands that I should more seriously consider?

The local shop guys are all nice but they just want to make a sale and no one could say any different besides this is 'awsome'...

HELP an newbie out! :smallviolin: (Not to riding just FS)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Next step

Go to a couple of bike shops. Test ride some bikes. See what YOU like. That's how those of us who have opinions and preferences come to have them. It's based on experience. Then you will have your own, unbiased opinion (which then becomes biased). Until then, you're going to get our biased opinions based on OUR experiences. :thumbsup:

Let us know what you come up with.

Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
subspd said:
I have been endlessly searching for a FS around a $1k and it seems like everyone just give me a ton of BS about how the brand they sell is the very best. I have to say the Cannondale frame does look really well made but I have only been able to find the Trek brands, Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant in my area. So all these "other brands" that you guys are listing sound nice but there is no try before you buy with them. I went through the reviews on here and many are limited plus many of the bikes listed are hard to find! :madman:

SO where should I look next? I am leaning towards the Cannondale, but that is solely on a 'pretty' frame. But is it too heavy? Are there other non big name (internet available only) brands that I should more seriously consider?

The local shop guys are all nice but they just want to make a sale and no one could say any different besides this is 'awsome'...

HELP an newbie out! :smallviolin: (Not to riding just FS)
Questions for you:

1) What is your budget. Or budget range.

2) What kind of riding to you think you will do.

Mostly trails, AM, XC, DH or Not Sure?

3) Full Suspension(FS) or HardTail(HT), or not sure?
4) OnLine, Local Bike Shop(LBS) or both.

Online shops tend to have a "better bang for the buck" that local bike shops because they cut out the middleman. But LBS also has their advantages.

5) If you list several choices, do you want users to recommend similar bikes?

Most people in these forums, myself included, have their favorite brands and tend to highly recommend those. So to make sure we do not "push" bikes onto you, if you tell us not to make suggestions, we will not.

Adding a few questions:
6) Anything that is a must? Like disc specific rims? Disc Brakes ...
7) Age? weight? Height It make make a difference in how we respond.

----------------
so you budget is 1k ....

I think the Asta Comp X7 is a nice bike at 1k and with any online bike, you are likely to get a better bang for the buck ...unless the one that the lbs is on super closeout

"Q: What if I don't like the bike I ordered?

A: IBEX Bicycles offers a 30-day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you decide to return your purchase please contact us for a Return Authorization number and return shipping instructions. Item must be "post-marked" or return shipment otherwise physically initiated within 30-days of purchase date. Purchase price is fully refundable in accordance with Satisfaction Guarantee terms (see link for details)."

http://www.ibexbikes.com/FAQ.html

which specific trek, cannondale ...are you referring to?

Also, go to your lbs and ride 4-5 different FS bikes ...then you will know what brakes you like, what shifting ..... When I was buying my bikes online I went to the lbs and found bikes with the or very similar geomertry and components to get a feel ...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
The biggest problem is fit. Doesn't help much when they are not around to try though, eh?

An online fit calculator isn't a bad place to start to comparied fit and geometry. If anyone locally has something you might consider, that never hurts either. The regional board and the manufacturer boards below are great areas to ask that question, along with any local boards taht are out there.

Lots of nice bikes out there, and the fit and finish on most $1000 bikes will be similar. The biggest difference will be how much the companies put into the frame vs the parts. If EVERYTHING else was equal, get the one withe the best frame/shock.

One last thought, don't discount the little guys out there. Jamis, KHS, and quite a few others put out some good bikes too.

Suspension designs and the like only matter to the extent that you want. If you're happy on a simple suspension, it doesn't matter if the latest, greatest, and flashiest if it isn't what you want.

Good luck,

JmZ

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Questions for you:

1) What is your budget. Or budget range. $1000

2) What kind of riding to you think you will do. XC

3) Full Suspension(FS) or HardTail(HT), or not sure? I have had a HT for years stepping up to a FS now.

4) OnLine, Local Bike Shop(LBS) or both. Both

Online shops tend to have a "better bang for the buck" that local bike shops because they cut out the middleman. But LBS also has their advantages.

5) If you list several choices, do you want users to recommend similar bikes? I have owned Treks for years but I am not really hung up on any one brand I am just like everyone else trying to get the most bang for my buck. I have only looked at what is available locally Trek, Specialized, Cannondale.

Most people in these forums, myself included, have their favorite brands and tend to highly recommend those. So to make sure we do not "push" bikes onto you, if you tell us not to make suggestions, we will not.

Adding a few questions:
6) Anything that is a must? Like disc specific rims? Disc Brakes, 100mm travel or more ...
7) Age? weight? Height It make make a difference in how we respond. 28, 200lb, 5' 11"

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I think you can get a really good HT for that but not a decent FS frame AND good components. That is my opinion. What others think is decent may be less than mediocre in my opinion though.

I think $2K is the minimum for a good FS. If I only had $1K to spend, I'd focus on a good HT.

·
Registered
739 Posts
subspd said:
Questions for you:

1) What is your budget. Or budget range. $1000

2) What kind of riding to you think you will do. XC

3) Full Suspension(FS) or HardTail(HT), or not sure? I have had a HT for years stepping up to a FS now.

4) OnLine, Local Bike Shop(LBS) or both. Both

5) If you list several choices, do you want users to recommend similar bikes? I have owned Treks for years but I am not really hung up on any one brand I am just like everyone else trying to get the most bang for my buck. I have only looked at what is available locally Trek, Specialized, Cannondale.

Adding a few questions:
6) Anything that is a must? Like disc specific rims? Disc Brakes, 100mm travel or more ...
7) Age? weight? Height It make make a difference in how we respond. 28, 200lb, 5' 11"
A FS for $1000 ... well to be honest you can get something pretty decent from online retailers, but something ok from the LBS. I'd look at Randall Scott, Ibex and specialized to see what bikes they have.

A LBS bike to consider is the Giant Trance, but @ $1000 you could get the trance 3 for $1200 . The components are a bit weak compared to IBEX or IH. It has a Dart 3 shock and deore level components with Hayes MX4 mechanical disc brakes. The shock is what scares me.

My suggestion is this: Try out as many size and brands of FS bikes at your LBS. Write the names and models down. Then compare their geometrys to those of online bikes. That is what I did. And it worked rather well.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Your requirements are going to dictate....

the price range for the most part. It is VERY difficult to find an FS bike with disc brakes under the $1200 mark. At least one that has disc brakes and components of reasonable quality and durability. There are exceptions of course, but they are few. The Ibex Asta Comp does come to mind. $999 cost, plus shipping of course. But the components are reasonable and should give good service. And if you feel confident with assembling the bike out of the box yourself and you are not to worried about the possible fit and service pitfalls, it would be a good bang for the buck bike. It is a bit porky for an XC full suspension at 30lbs. But a few intelengent upgrades could easily shave 2 to 3 pounds off the weight. There are a few other manufacturers that allow online sale of their products as well. Iron Horse and Jamis come to mind. You probably won't find 07 Models in your price range but there should be 06's out there that will fit. So keep looking online. It isn't likely that you'll find anything that meets your specifications at a local shop unless it's a one or two year old leftover. Just be aware of the pitfalls of ordering a bike that you've never ridden before online. There are bikes out there that meet your specs, so hit the online retailers, the local bike shops, do your homework and good luck.

Good Dirt

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
I was gonna suggest online...

I really don't think you can get much of a FS for a grand from an LBS.

Take a look at this baby...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cds07RRLOCK.htm

To be honest, if I lived stateside I'd have a garage full of online ordered bikes. Alas, the shipping up here to Canada seems too convoluted...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone? Thanks for the input guys I will take a serious look at what you have mentioned. I know that $1k is tight but most of us are probably like me and on a budget. I was thinking about a also getting a used bike but most at this level are pretty used any thoughts on this?

·
Banned
462 Posts
subspd said:
Anyone? Thanks for the input guys I will take a serious look at what you have mentioned. I know that $1k is tight but most of us are probably like me and on a budget. I was thinking about a also getting a used bike but most at this level are pretty used any thoughts on this?
Here's a crazy idea. Buy a $500 hardtail bike new from one of the online stores... bikesdirect.com or ibex.com, or RSbike.com pick the one with the best components, then buy a FS frame off ebay for $400-$500.. (Specialize, Giant, Kona, Jamis etc..) Then sell the HT frame for $80 and use that money to have someone rebuild the bike for you.. or better yet keep it and do it yourself :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
*The haro is o.k.. the Iron Horse Warrior Trail DS is probably a better choice and about 200 bucks cheaper.. plus the matte black color looks cooler. IH has about the same specs, the fork is the only big difference, Manitou Axel Elite vs Marzocchi MZ Comp.

. For 1000 dollars, the iron horse closeouts from Randall scott are the best. Brand name design and nice components as well.

for jamis
http://www.bicycleblowout.com/Bikes/Jamisxlt10.htm

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too am having the same trouble. I'm getting back into the swing of things and don't know what to get. Here are my specs:

1. I'm 6' tall and weigh in at 185
2. I am looking for a FS that I will primarily use for XC
3. I will spend anywhere from 1000-1200
4. I've been looking at Online shops and LBS

Today I looked at the Trek Fuel EX5, and the Specialized FSR XC Rim. Both seem similar in features and price. I did like that the Trek had disc brakes (which I would prefer). I have owned a couple Specialized in the past, however one was a road bike. I haven't been around the biking world for about 15 years and am amazed at how much has changed. I have seen Iron Horse, Motobecane, Ibex, and a couple others online. Are any of these good bikes? They seem to have good components, and a good price, but what if I have a problem with the bike in the near future? I can't exactly have it warrantied.

Thanks for the help, and the suggestions.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Becane73 said:
Here's a crazy idea. Buy a $500 hardtail bike new from one of the online stores... bikesdirect.com or ibex.com, or RSbike.com pick the one with the best components, then buy a FS frame off ebay for $400-$500.. (Specialize, Giant, Kona, Jamis etc..) Then sell the HT frame for $80 and use that money to have someone rebuild the bike for you.. or better yet keep it and do it yourself :)
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp05.htm : $595 shipped

Has RS Tora with up to 130mm adjustable travel, perfect for a FS bike.

And pick a frame from ebay: (varies depending on condition and color)
These go for $300-600
2004-2005 Stumpjumper FSR
2003-2004 Specialized Epic
Gary Fisher Cakes
Trek Fuel non-carbon
Iron Horse Azure, MKIII
Giant Trance, NRS, XTC...

I saw like new Azure and MKIII go for under $600 shipped, 2004-2005 SJ FSR for around $450 shipped, 2003-2004 Epics go for under $450 shipped, Trek Fuels for under $450 shipped

(Actually if you're going to get an Iron Horse your probably better off buying one of these)

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8028/.f?sc=2&category=4959
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8093/.f?sc=2&category=4959

The other way is more phun I think :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.