Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola, I have been using 175mm cranks for ever, I know that in DH smaller cranks are used alot, and I have been seeing alot of FR bikes with the shorter cranks, how about trailriding?
I guess its 5mm shorter so you might miss a rock here or there, what about power or torque for climbing? Or a quick power stroke of the pedals to lift the front end over something, any difference, good or bad?

BTW, Im on the shorter spectrum, a few clicks under 5'7", and Im building up a Bullit with a 05 Z1 and mostly trailbike parts that will take a big hit because I didnt see it coming! :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
generally people are running 170 or 165s to gain clearance; you'd be surprised at how much 5-10mm will make a difference in missing rocks under power.

It will change your gearing, but this can compensated by changing your chainring size. More picky types (like roadies) select it by the feel of the stroke.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
zedro said:
It will change your gearing, but this can compensated by changing your chainring size.
Huh?

The only upside is 5mm more ground clearance, which on a trail bike may not matter. The downside is you lose a little leverage (2.8%) and your seat will have to come up 5mm to keep the same leg extension therefore raising your center of gravity. If you've been riding 175's and don't have any complaints I would probably stick with em'.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I run them on my fr/dh bike and I can't tell they are shorter as far as pedaling goes. I do notice that I am not clipping as many rock during my rides. I do a fair amount of trailriding on this bike and I don't feel that I am at any disadvantage by using 170mm cranks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts