Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been a long time reader but not much of a forum participant. Sorry about that, I always enjoy the threads here.

I hope I can ask for some of your collective wisdom.

I am a 46 year old 6' 4" 265lb guy who is in above average physical condition and I am looking for my first e-bike. Reason for e-bike is just fun and longer rides in the PNW.

Current bike is a 2017 specialized fuse 27.5+ XXL. This bike is less than inspiring when riding hard, and I don't feel comfortable airing it out on much more than roller with a smooth landing due to flex. It is also a "little" large feeling and I could see something with a lower TT being a better option.

I've recently decided to give up motorcycling and therefore I will be spending more time on an MTB.

I am looking for a stout, bulletproof new ride that can handle my size at speed with some reasonable airtime thrown in for good measure. Prior to the fuse, I tried a specialized enduro in an XL size and found the rear shock geometry wasn't ideal for a person my size. I blew the shock and was considering a push upgrade but then sold it for a hardtail. Size wise, the enduro with a riser stem and tall bars felt good.

I have been looking at the 2022 Giant Reign E+ and the Marin Alpine Trial 2 with a heavier spring, but those are more one the enduro side of things. I wish there was an option that looked something like a Norco Aurum but I haven't been able to find one. I am not worried about weight, and I would like (ideally) a triple clamp fork and rocker arm style suspension as opposed to a design that puts all the weight on the shock.

Do you have any ideas for me?

Thanks

· Registered
4,082 Posts
There are probably 30 (random guess) long travel (160-180mm) ebikes to choose from other than a Kenevo. All of which will be 100x more downhill oriented than your current Fuse. A better question would be what e-bike can I find in stock right now.

I have a Commencal and love it.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are probably 30 (random guess) long travel (160-180mm) ebikes to choose from other than a Kenevo. All of which will be 100x more downhill oriented than your current Fuse. A better question would be what e-bike can I find in stock right now.

I have a Commencal and love it.
View attachment 1946602
Thanks for the reply RBoardman. I saw that Commencial but am concerned about how the rear shock geo works. Reminds me of my specialized enduro, where I blew the shock a few times. I am hoping to find one with a vertical shock and pivot linkage. Time is on my side to some extent, I have a bike to ride and would be happy getting something by next spring which is why I am starting now. I also realize that may be a bit of a challenge.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Thanks for the reply RBoardman. I saw that Commencial but am concerned about how the rear shock geo works. Reminds me of my specialized enduro, where I blew the shock a few times. I am hoping to find one with a vertical shock and pivot linkage. Time is on my side to some extent, I have a bike to ride and would be happy getting something by next spring which is why I am starting now. I also realize that may be a bit of a challenge.
What Enduro did you have? If it was a 2017-2019 that was a very common issue. If you were running an Ohlins air shock, the shock was also to blame.

Also, the orientation of a shock (Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, forwards, backwards) has very little to do with the suspension kinematics. Same thing with the locations of the pivots. You can have two VPP or DW Link bikes that have the same suspension design, but to the untrained eye look drastically different. Check out this article that highlights some of the more popular designs. (There are more than this for sure).

In conclusion, I would not worry about the design of your suspension or if the bike has a dual crown or not.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What Enduro did you have? If it was a 2017-2019 that was a very common issue. If you were running an Ohlins air shock, the shock was also to blame.

Also, the orientation of a shock (Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, forwards, backwards) has very little to do with the suspension kinematics. Same thing with the locations of the pivots. You can have two VPP or DW Link bikes that have the same suspension design, but to the untrained eye look drastically different. Check out this article that highlights some of the more popular designs. (There are more than this for sure).

In conclusion, I would not worry about the design of your suspension or if the bike has a dual crown or not.
It was a 2015 expert. Admittedly I hadn't taken the time to research suspension and I really appreciate you sharing that article. I had attributed the issue on the enduro to my weight and aggressive riding style along the appearance that the shock had to take all the load whereas the Horst link design and Giants marketing of the maestro had me thinking about the reign… this really helps and I'll do some more reading.

Appreciate the pic below too. Definitely going to try a new brand this time!

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Santa Cruz Bullit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am probably off base here too (please feel free to flame me) but I am a bit skeptical on carbon fiber frames.

I work in an industry where we build machines to destroy various materials for recycling and the carbon fiber is very strong but also very easy to destroy once it has any kind of crack. Alloy / steel / titanium is a better solution for longevity. We've destroyed all of those materials too and it takes far more energy.

· WTF is downcountry?
894 Posts
Checkout the emtb eurobike randoms on Pinkbike, that Nicolai is noiiice. Probably cost more than that 15k Spechy tho and unobtanium

· Bodhisattva
10,872 Posts
If concerned about shock durability (I am), and if budget allows, consider a bike that is PUSH 11.6 compatible - Kenevo and Bullit are excellent choices. I'm pretty darned happy with my YT Decoy which handles Rowdy rocky mtn terrain quite well. Zero shock or fork issues to report on my PUSH springers

· Registered
148 Posts
I have a Bullit and before that I had a Kenevo. The Kenevo frame was beat up so I am very scared when I ride the Bullit. I think metal is the way to go if you ride an E bike and especially if you are going to ride it hard.

[QUOTE="spec d, post: 15411899, member: 545820"

I work in an industry where we build machines to destroy various materials for recycling and the carbon fiber is very strong but also very easy to destroy once it has any kind of crack. Alloy / steel / titanium is a better solution for longevity. We've destroyed all of those materials too and it takes far more energy.
[/QUOTE]

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Bullit and before that I had a Kenevo. The Kenevo frame was beat up so I am very scared when I ride the Bullit. I think metal is the way to go if you ride an E bike and especially if you are going to ride it hard.

[QUOTE="spec d, post: 15411899, member: 545820"

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this reply stevenfallover.
At the moment I am somewhat focused on what Husqvarna will be doing in the next few months. Their website states that they have some big announcements coming for 2022 and they are growing their US dealer network. It seems like they have models that are priced very well and come with a good motor battery combo for the $. Their bikes look well done and the range is pretty complete. I do have to admit the commencal bikes also have my interest and they were not on my radar at all until this thread got going. I appreciate you guys and your thoughts. Commencal videos are well done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.