Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got recently a new full suspension frame from China.

After assembling I've tried to ride it, and then it just cracked in the area around the bottom bracket. (check attached images)

Should I try to repair it in a local bike repair service or it's not reasonable to fix it and just return it?

Thank you in advice for your options.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tread Rim

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
I'm gonna say that particular spot is not repairable.

CF repairs are mostly limited by the shape of the spot needing repairs and whether that area is supposed to interface with something else.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,051 Posts
It is, but hey gotta use vacuum bags and the right epoxy to backfill in there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A proper repair would be a little more labor intensive. I'd try to return/replace if possible. That area is particularly difficult to repair since it's best to sand away(scarf) the delaminated/damaged layers and rebuild it with new sheets or CF...and for that BB the threaded insert would need to be removed/replaced and bonded back in. If you want to just try to repair it with epoxy(or even those epoxy putty), that might work but it'll be much heavier than a regular carbon buildup.

Just wondering, which brand/mfg is the bike frame?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Carbon repair shop will answer you that most accurate, but IMO regarding the area of damage it will be way too much work (=$$$) to be economicaly feasible for cheap chinese frame.
Send it back, try warranty process. And yes - hope/pray that next frame you get won't fail mid ride on some chunkier terrain because of bad QC ... :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's the old Chinese gamble right there when you buy carbon bits. I learned the hard way with a massive concussion and broken collarbone when my direct from china carbon bars snapped on me out of nowhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do yourself a favor: Return, and spend your hard earned money on a frame made by a proper manufacturer. It might be painful initially, but you won't look back. Or if you can't afford it, there are excellent AF out there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was basically set to order an aliexpress carbon hardtail when I get paid this week, for about $500 delivered. But seeing this (and a similar one on youtube), I'm gonna pass and just spend $1500 on a carbon Santa Cruz chameleon with lifetime warranty. So disappointing that there isn't a Canyon type deal on aliexpress where you can get a $750 frame which has some QC and warranty on it (a real warranty that they'll actually stand behind). I mean it wouldn't cost much more to add a little more material in the area and have some process controls to make sure they're built more consistently.

Technically you "could" repair that, but it would be a lot of work and would have to have so much carbon and resin in the back to hold it all together. It's like saying any car from a wreck could be repaired, but it might take a year at the body shop and replacing 95% of the car. You technically can repair it, but it's not practicable.

I would try for a return, and hopefully you get a 100% free new frame, but even getting a 50% discount on a new one would be cheaper than repairing it (assuming that the next one is built right).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.