Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.5 EVP w/an '07 Talas RLC and a RP23. Sag is about 25%.

Its plenty smooth deep into its rear travel but the initial bit of travel on rough trails are not soaked up very well and feels quite harsh. It almost feels like my HT. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Get rid of the platform shock. Here is a link to an old thread with input from guys from Intense in which they state that VPP does not nee a platform. I had a Manitou Swinger 4-Way on my 5point5 for years and although I thought it was a great shock there was always a sense of the rear bouncing off obstacles for an instant on impact until the SPV opened but by then it was too late. This year I put on a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 which is shim damped and has no platform. What a difference. It is always active and bottomless.

You don't need a coil and associated weight increase. Besides many coil shocks have the same platform damping as their air counterparts.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,932 Posts
First off try 30% sag - that's where your 5.5 needs to be for optimum performance and small bump compliance. That will give you just enough platform and a plusher feel over the small stuff. I have it's cousin (BLT) and would never run less than 30% sag.

As for Intense's insistance that no platform is needed with VPP (insert eye roll), I beg to differ, especially on my M3 where spend most of my time standing. A small amount of platform works great, epsecially if you know how to set up a shock. I went thru all of Intense's recommendations and finally gave up and went to the shock experts at PUSH. For all my Fox rear shocks I work with them. They'll keep a slight amount of platform AND install their high flow piston so once the platform is overcome it's REALLY plush - even over the small stuff! BEST of BOTH worlds and one of the best upgrades you can do for the jingo IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
As far as air shocks have come in the last few years they still don't come close to a coil in overall plushness. The RP23 is a great air shock (even better when Pushed) but when I swapped out my RP23 for my Van-R coil the difference was night and day. I've sold off the RP23, a coil shock really lets the 5.5 shine. The pound or so you gain is a non-issue when you consider what you gain - much better small bump compliance, bombproof reliability, no air leakage or messing around with a pump.

After trying a few different shocks on my 5.5 I still think the VPP benefits from a small amount of platform. The RP23 was nice with the on off switch. The Van-R coil has a fairly light platform which is just about right. The 2007 Fox Van-R is $250 and another $180 if you want to get it Pushed. I think it's the ideal shock for this bike. I haven't had a chance to try the Marzocchi Roco Coil, anyone tried it out yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Gman086 said:
First off try 30% sag - that's where your 5.5 needs to be for optimum performance and small bump compliance. That will give you just enough platform and a plusher feel over the small stuff. I have it's cousin (BLT) and would never run less than 30% sag.

As for Intense's insistance that no platform is needed with VPP (insert eye roll), I beg to differ, especially on my M3 where spend most of my time standing. A small amount of platform works great, epsecially if you know how to set up a shock. I went thru all of Intense's recommendations and finally gave up and went to the shock experts at PUSH. For all my Fox rear shocks I work with them. They'll keep a slight amount of platform AND install their high flow piston so once the platform is overcome it's REALLY plush - even over the small stuff! BEST of BOTH worlds and one of the best upgrades you can do for the jingo IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
So because you never run your Blur with less than 30%, we should all take your advice and do the same on our 5point5s (insert eye roll). Of course you have all the facilities to test and research their frames and they don't. Intense is emphatic that a 5point5 should be set up with 25 to 30% sag and longer travel bikes like an M3 and Uzzi at 30 to 35%. I also don't quite get what a change in sag will do when it is the platform holding the bike up on small bumps.

I'd like you to explain why "Intense's insistence that no platform is needed with VPP" is incorrect. I'm not interested in your opinion unqualified, when I have my own experience to go by. As I said I'm using a non-platform shock and there is no pedal induced movement in my suspension. So why do I need a platform? Any platform on any bike is going to reduce small bump compliance, because that is what a platform does.

As for the whole Push Industries/Fox thing, I personally have a problem. If buy myself a brand new shock today, you are telling me that it is not actually that good and I need to send it to the "shock experts" to get it fixed. Are Fox Racing Shox not shock experts? I would rather buy a fully tune-able shock that works without modification.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
i have mine with CCDB for several months and a Marz All Mountain '06 (with RC2 cart & '07 thru axle lowers) for two good years...got no complains and it's really very plush on downhills with few small jumps, and lands like a cat. few platform or no platform at all, i have the option. IMHO, it's the best shock ever made for mountain biking. been with a PUSHed RP3 and a Marz Roco Air, as what everybody's saying, coil is the way to go. it won't make my bike tougher but nothing can beat the coil feel.:thumbsup:

just my $0.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Ahhhh.....the Double Barrel, I forgot about that one. That's a spendy little bugger but I might have to try that one out, I've heard nothing but very good things. Hmmmm........
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
Yeah just run the rp3 as off as you can get it on the propedal.

I had the same shock on my 6.6 and never used it. I've also got a pushed vanilla rc on my uzzi that I asked to be built with no platform threshold.

Those bikes DO work well with no pedaling platform and start feeling spiky when you decide to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,932 Posts
>>So because you never run your Blur with less than 30%, we should all take your advice and do the same on our 5point5s (insert eye roll). Of course you have all the facilities to test and research their frames and they don't. Intense is emphatic that a 5point5 should be set up with 25 to 30% sag and longer travel bikes like an M3 and Uzzi at 30 to 35%. I also don't quite get what a change in sag will do when it is the platform holding the bike up on small bumps.<<

Uhhm, well yes!!! PUSH uses a shock dynomometer that gives computer feedback on spiking. Intense doesn't have one. They say 30% is optimal for the 5.5 and BLT and Intense says 25-30%. Ronnie, what was the arguement again??? PUSH says 35% for the M3 and Intense says 30 - 35%. Again tell me what we're arguing about? And even going from 25% to 30% CAN have a significant impact on small bump absorption - after having owned 3 VPP designs I can assure you that a 5% change can give noticable results.

>>I'd like you to explain why "Intense's insistence that no platform is needed with VPP" is incorrect. I'm not interested in your opinion unqualified, when I have my own experience to go by. As I said I'm using a non-platform shock and there is no pedal induced movement in my suspension. So why do I need a platform? Any platform on any bike is going to reduce small bump compliance, because that is what a platform does.<<

I'm glad the Manitou is working for you. You've obviously never ridden a PUSHED shock either yet speak like an expert on their version of platform damping. (insert eye roll).

>>As for the whole Push Industries/Fox thing, I personally have a problem. If buy myself a brand new shock today, you are telling me that it is not actually that good and I need to send it to the "shock experts" to get it fixed. Are Fox Racing Shox not shock experts? I would rather buy a fully tune-able shock that works without modification.<<

SO would I but unfortunately it doesn't work that way with Fox. Also I contacted Fox before PUSH and they laughed when told I needed NO platform damping for my M3. They said NEVER run under 100 psi in my air chamber of my DHX 5.0 coil on my M3 and that Intense was dead wrong about no platform. This is from FOX! But of course Intense are the shock experts riiiiiight??? And of course it was just coincidence that I blew my DHX when I tried to run with 75 psi (no platform) per Intense's recommendation riiiiight? AND isn't it funny that the Santa Cruz race team relies on PUSH'd Fox shocks instead of their own recommendations??? Things that make ya go HMMMMMMM!

Have FUN!

G MAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
On the whole shock issue K9 bikes in the UK are working with Oxford or Cambridge university, I forget which now, for the design of their new downhill bike and they've had extensive use of testing facilities and shock dyno's. I'm pretty sure they are working with some F1 shock design guys too at the university.

They have tested every coil damper available from Fox, Manitou, RS, Marzocchi, etc and the results were very disapointing to say the least especially as far as consistant damping control on long runs and the variation in quality between the same model of shock! The only coil they found to be worthy was the CCDB it was the most consistant and out performed the others available to the bike market by a huge margin. They will sell you a bike once it's available with a different shock to the CCDB if cost is an issue but they don't recommend anything else.

I've got an '08 PUSH RP23 with the larger air can on my 5.5 and that is too plush in the mid stroke for my liking so it went back for some tuning work to the midstroke and the can. They are reducing the volume a touch and the altering shim stack to prevent it getting hyper over midsized bumps and g-outs but it only returned an hour ago so I've not yet had chance to try it. You can buy the Fox shocks direct from PUSH with the mods already done for not much more than a stock shock.

I also have a CCDB and have owned a PUSH DHX coil the full factory one that Peaty and Rennie are running on the V10 and it's very close between them. The PUSH is set ready for you to go but the CCDB takes a lot of tweaking to get it sweet although this is it's strong point as it can be pretty much set to do what ever you want it just takes lots of time and patience. The trick is knowing what you really need :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
ScareyH22A said:
I have a 5.5 EVP w/an '07 Talas RLC and a RP23. Sag is about 25%.

Its plenty smooth deep into its rear travel but the initial bit of travel on rough trails are not soaked up very well and feels quite harsh. It almost feels like my HT. Any suggestions?
Set it up like mine,bro.
Nixon 145 elite QR20, and a Vanilla rc with 650# coil.
It still pedals like a goat.
RTW.
 

Attachments

·
Commit or eat sh!t
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
How do the coil shocks like Vanilla RC perform when going uphill vs. RP23? Which has less bobbing and is more stable? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,932 Posts
Cable0guy said:
How do the coil shocks like Vanilla RC perform when going uphill vs. RP23? Which has less bobbing and is more stable? Thanks in advance.
The Vanilla RC has no platform, just adjustable compression and rebound damping (had one on my old M1). The RP-23 has adjustable platform valving to dial in just how much you want/need for climbing. There's no comparison, the RP-23 is a far superior shock for climbing. And if you send it to PUSH they can make it's action much like any coil shock (with their high-flow piston) so there is no point in looking at coils for a 5.5 inch travel bike IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
 

·
Unfit Norwegian
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
Have you actually tried one? And for that matter; you can get coil shocks custom tuned too. And in any case, most people say that the 5.5 doesn't really need much platform anyway, right?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top