Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the other day and I was looking at El Capitan mountain from Lake Jennings and it looked like there could be some nice, rocky trails winding up and down the mountain. I know climbers climb the face so there are trails up there im sure but are there any worth biking? if so where do you get at them?
thanks
paul

·
Registered
292 Posts
My recollection from a few years ago is that the climbers' trails up to the face start out in a network of "social" or "user" trails low on the mountain that could be biked, but then rapidly steepen and become unrideable, as climbers generally just head straight up once they leave any existing trail. And the climbers are heading for the steepest rock, not for anything that's going to connect you to the top.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok you might be right, its the one with the big rock face that can be seen from almost anywhere in east county i think it does sit above el capitan reservoir though

so are there trails on that mountain?

·
Registered
123 Posts
el cajonecapitan

Ya el cajon, some call it "El Cap" because it is above el cap resevoir, but it is actually called "El Cajon" Mountain (yes the one in the picture above). You access the hiking trailhead from wildcat canyon road. The face ascent can be done without climbing gear by following a route on the east side of the face. See my post on the link I posted above.
Good info here to
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153145/el-cajon-mountain.html
and
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2002/nov/21/tackle-severe-ups-and-downs-old-mining-track-throu/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pablo, check the links Kev posted. The climbers trail I mentioned is the one off El Monte road. Social trails below are rideable, but it is definitely not rideable to the top. The other route goes along the top from Wildcat Cyn Rd, and it was being discussed how rideable / legal it is on the other forum. Kev has hiked it and says it isn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.