Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys. I have an '89 Axis, recently converted to singlespeed, that has also recently developed a creaking problem. I hear this sound everytime my left foot (non-drive side) pedals down. I was wondering if anyone knows of the problem areas of these bikes. Could this maybe be the cranks? Pedals? Could my frame be cracked? (sidenote, this is an older bike, I'm a clyde and I've been climbing rather hard on it recently, as well as riding down :D ) So far, I haven't found a crack, but with my amazingly retro black w/ white swirly paint it is exceedingly hard to spot scratches, who knows about a crack.

Also, I've noticed that my bottom bracket has a little play in it when I wiggle the cranks. Is there anyway to tighten this up? The bb should be OK, I just had it installed about 100 miles ago. Could this also be where some of the sound is coming from?

Thanks everyone.
Nathaniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
The creaking is probably coming from the bottom bracket. Pull the bottom bracket out and clean the BB shell, grease the threads in the shell, or even better use anti sieze compound. You can get it at the auto parts store, it's used to prevent galling of aluminum threads & it works great on aluminum frames. Anyway, when you put your cranks back on make sure everythings clean, grease your bb spindle if you have Splined Cranks, but do not grease if you have a Square tapered BB spindle.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I agree w/ BlueSid. Check your BB and cracks. If you haven't taken out the BB since 1989, it may be time for a little cleanin'.

I know that swirly paint scheme you're talking about. It had a DB road bike with that swirl paint. If you wanted to investigate the crack potential, use a bright flashlight at various angles. Sometimes it can highlight w/ enough contrast to see a crack.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
1989?!

That bike is going on 17 (model) years old. Especially since you're a clyde; give space for the posibility that the bike has far outlived it's time span.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, hey

well, the BB just got replaced a bit ago, I think any kind of real noise coming from that part would be looseness. And yes, the bike is probably past its prime (I'm being optimistic). The frame looks ok, but I will use the flashlight (that's a good idea, and a duh on my part-- thanks :) ) And hey if the bike is going out, I'll scrounge around for some racks and make it my campus/towny bike.

Oh, the bike did sit in a garage, practically untouched for about 14 years of its life span so far. Who knows? I think it's worth a check.

Thanks guys,

Nate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.