Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front gear is stamped, so I cant just take off the little and big gear to make it 1x drivetrain in the front.

Its a 2012 Mongoose Switchback.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
"fixed gear" is not the right term. look up "fixed gear bike."

you want to convert it to a "one by" or 1x drivetrain. a single ring in the front and a derailer with multiple gears in the back. that's what most modern bikes use. you will need to replace the crankset to do that, and probably the bottom bracket.

I discourage this on that particular bike. it's not worth the effort for the return on performance on a bike like that. it will quickly escalate into a Steamed Hams Situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yeah I was looking to turn it into a simple "one by", mostly just to eliminate the chain slippage and just ride it as a beater or have as a backup incase a friend without a bike wants to ride with me.

So yeah, just looking for a quick fix other than trashing it.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
quick fix: replace the crankset. You can do this for under $100. check around the classifieds. most cranksets can be changed to 1x, just not the really entry-level ones. most cranks have a way to remove and replace the rings.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,828 Posts
If the chainrings are worn on a crankset with riveted chainrings, you have to replace the crankset anyway.

I wouldn't call $100 for a crankset for such a bike "cheap" but you should be able to find a lot of stuff below that, especially on the used market, that will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts