Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a call for a 29er almost as fast as a road bike but with a comfortable upright riding position that you can jump and beat on good. I am in the process of trying to build one because I have been unable to find one offered by manufactures to suit. The closes thing I found was the Marlin by GF. My Trek 4300 I felt was more comfortable and more upright but not a 29er.

Before I end up with 2000 $ in a Trek 4300 input from those who know would be nice help. Thanks!

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
Is there a call for a 29er almost as fast as a road bike but with a comfortable upright riding position that you can jump and beat on good. I am in the process of trying to build one because I have been unable to find one offered by manufactures to suit. The closes thing I found was the Marlin by GF. My Trek 4300 I felt was more comfortable and more upright but not a 29er.

Before I end up with 2000 $ in a Trek 4300 input from those who know would be nice help. Thanks!
Maybe there is a call for this by one person - so yes.

When you say "fast as a road bike"....:confused:

Road bikes are fast due mostly to aerodynamics, but you are talking about "a comfortable upright riding position".
Of course, tires help, too.

I think you want some kinda monstercross bike with less aggressive medium-sized tires.

-F

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
I agree with the monster cross idea. A bike like the fargo with a fat slick would be good for rolling around town rapidly but still capable for hurling down stairs and such.

But I would also say that a rigid 26er frame with stout wheels would be a better choice for this. Put on some slicks, use a good aero rim like those from velocity and a crankset from a road bike and it should be fast nimble and fun.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I put 110mm 40° stem on my GF Trek Marlin and it made all the difference in the world for me. Now the seat is even or just slightly higher then the bars and my neck and shoulders no longer hurt after a ride.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the monster cross idea. A bike like the fargo with a fat slick would be good for rolling around town rapidly but still capable for hurling down stairs and such.

But I would also say that a rigid 26er frame with stout wheels would be a better choice for this. Put on some slicks, use a good aero rim like those from velocity and a crankset from a road bike and it should be fast nimble and fun.
Why do you say a 26? I had not been riding bicycles seriously for 30 years and I started with a 22.5 Trek 4300 26er because of comfort and this is where I am now. Trek 4300 with Sun MTX 33 29er rims FnR,BB7 balipers modded with 203mm FnR, new crank set that is 52 tooth with 8 speed cassette, Shimano XT hubs ? able for my weight, XR1 1.9 Rear tire 40 CM front tire,top of the line nickel plated chain. The bike needs a fork update cannot decide on a rigid or telescopic suspension fork High $ WEIGHT???able. The bike is heavy but I am 300 pounds so I want a tough bike. The bike turned out awesome,I was just racing a guy today and he was on a carbon fiber all the way Schwinn road bike High $ and on the bike riding path I was keeping right up with him with no problem and then some stupid pedestrians were in the way blocking his path and he was screwed and had to come to a crawl and I just went around them on the outside and jumped a small ditch and left him sitting there. The bike for what it is is real fast but heavy but I need that. Next I need to be able to launch off small stairs and drop offs so I can trash these road bike punks in most all in town riding. I will post pictures when complete. I am thinking of going back to V brakes to save weight?. The bike is a real pig and needs to lose a few pounds but would a few pounds make a difference if I weigh 300? Thanks for any replies.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
Why do you say a 26? I had not been riding bicycles seriously for 30 years and I started with a 22.5 Trek 4300 26er because of comfort and this is where I am now. Trek 4300 with Sun MTX 33 29er rims FnR,BB7 balipers modded with 203mm FnR, new crank set that is 52 tooth with 8 speed cassette, Shimano XT hubs ? able for my weight, XR1 1.9 Rear tire 40 CM front tire,top of the line nickel plated chain. The bike needs a fork update cannot decide on a rigid or telescopic suspension fork High $ WEIGHT???able. The bike is heavy but I am 300 pounds so I want a tough bike. The bike turned out awesome,I was just racing a guy today and he was on a carbon fiber all the way Schwinn road bike High $ and on the bike riding path I was keeping right up with him with no problem and then some stupid pedestrians were in the way blocking his path and he was screwed and had to come to a crawl and I just went around them on the outside and jumped a small ditch and left him sitting there. The bike for what it is is real fast but heavy but I need that. Next I need to be able to launch off small stairs and drop offs so I can trash these road bike punks in most all in town riding. I will post pictures when complete. I am thinking of going back to V brakes to save weight?. The bike is a real pig and needs to lose a few pounds but would a few pounds make a difference if I weigh 300? Thanks for any replies.

As far as a speed goes you would be able to get a lighter and similar strength wheel in the 26er format over the 29er format; less rotational mass = more speed.

That said you would also have access to more suspension forks that would handle your weight without emptying your budget (although I would recommend a rigid if speed and reliability is what you seek most: lighter and stiffer and hopefully stronger, perhaps the Instigator Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes would be perfect for you on your current bike).

V-brakes might save you some weight but they will be costing you a lot as your current rims will not work with them. You would need something like the Sun RhynoLites for a comparable width rim, although it probably isn't as strong as the Sun MTX.

I appreciate your bravado and your racing but you are going to take a lot of flak for your comments. Of all places to not race someone it is on a multiuser path. Hit a pedestrian and you will know why. Hit another oncoming cyclist and you may never know why.

Just like cars leave racing to the racetrack, a closed environment where everyone is on the same page. You were racing with this guy but I bet he wasn't "racing" with you. Join a team, go to races get it out of your system there, it will be much more enjoyable venue for your need for speed.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 26 wheels but find the 29s to be faster for me,he blew by me first so I had to attack and he returned the favor by passing me in the end as I got cut off by a truck. I always go 10 to 15 feet off the trail to go around pedestrians and as far as racing goes you have got to be kidding me a bicycle is for exercise as far as speed goes they are a joke.Thanks for the help on the fork.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
I have 26 wheels but find the 29s to be faster for me,he blew by me first so I had to attack and he returned the favor by passing me in the end as I got cut off by a truck. I always go 10 to 15 feet off the trail to go around pedestrians and as far as racing goes you have got to be kidding me a bicycle is for exercise as far as speed goes they are a joke.
I'll tell you story, there is a MUP in my hometown. 2 people on bicycles were coming at each other, the one slipped and fell into the path of the other, his head hit her chest. When it was over she was dead. They both had helmets and were travelling slowly. The impact from a slow fall plus the speed of their slow travel was enough that it killed her. Neither of them were 300lbs and neither was racing just enjoying a scenic ride along a river.

It can happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.