Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 14.5" Trek 6500, and it has the stock shimano no-name cranks which are 170mm lenth. I'm thinking of upgrading the cranks with LX , and I've found a good deal for the 175 size. Would she even notice the difference, and if yes - is it a beneficial one?

·
Registered
205 Posts
175's

Tag1 said:
My wife has a 14.5" Trek 6500, and it has the stock shimano no-name cranks which are 170mm lenth. I'm thinking of upgrading the cranks with LX , and I've found a good deal for the 175 size. Would she even notice the difference, and if yes - is it a beneficial one?
I would say she will climb better the extra leverage, but she may also notice catching her pedals on things (tree roots and rocks). I would go ahead and get the 175's, and if she catching on things once in a while, she will just have to adust her riding just a tad. Not to mention, if you found a good deal on them, go for it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I haven't tried it but from all I've read in posts to this question and on/in training guides I would say she would notice a difference and I don't think it would be a good one. She is riding a size 14.5 bike so that puts her somewhere in the 5'-5'4" range and there's a reason the bike came with 170 cranks and that there is it - she's short, has short legs, the bike prob has a low BB and proportinally those cranks are the right length (if not too long) for her. Try to find a set of 170's for her. Try CRC they have very good pricing on cranks, length selection and shipping is good, that is if you can't find them anywheere in the US .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been riding 170mm cranks on bikes for years, even shorter on fixed gear road bikes, but I am looking forward to my new MTB build (Friday!) with a Sugino 175mm triple crankset. I wanted the longer cranks for climbing leverage to get me up into the east bay hills. Its an experiment of sorts - if I don't like them I'll put the 170mm-s on the bike.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Many factors can affect this. I think Sheldon Brown's material has some interesting comments on the crank length issue. I use 170s on a Nomad because I'm a "spinner" rather than a "masher". Even though I'm 6 feet tall, I'm not a power pedaler. And I've found that these longer travel bikes don't respond as well to stand-up-and-mash techniques as they do to smoother crank spinning during climbs and such. Other riders who are stronger pedalers may prefer and can usually benefit from the longer crank. So IMO there are both preference, physiological, and mechanical issues to determine what works best for a particular rider. Your wife and her bike are on the small side and sounds like the more ideal setup for the 170mm cranks. On the other hand, singlespeedinca's situation sounds like the perfect application for longer cranks. He's riding a SS and is probably a power pedaler where the longer crank will probably be a benefit.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I am going 5-11.

I am going to go from 170mm to 175mm as soon as the come in.

Yes there is a leverage difference. Also though the longer movement in the leg should allow for smoother pedling I hope.

It seems to me that a longer legged rider would like longer cranks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guess I will hold out till I find some 170's. The wifey is really loving mtb, so the last thing I need is for her to start getting knee pain or something...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.