Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going from a 1993 Cannondale M500 rigid hardtail to a 2022 Trek X-Caliber 9 which I just ordered for $1899. It can easily be refunded, the bike will not be in until Dec. 27th. My style of riding is well rounded, a little bit of everything- single track trails, technical stuff, gravel roads, etc. No downhill or racing. I am not looking for a full suspension but do want some quality front shocks. I don't have any experience with SRAM, have always had Shimano, I guess I prefer Shimano XR. Thanks...

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
The Recon fork has the Motion Control damper. It's poor performing. Very little small bump compliance and stops working at higher speeds over bumps. Plus the Recon stanchions have a different internal dimension than better RS forks. So you can't put a better damper in to upgrade.
But there's more bad. The rims are outdated skinny 23mm inner width. 30mm is a common minimum.
More. Trek hasn't updated the geo from 7 or more years ago. Steep head tube angle and short reach.

Compare it to a Ragley Big Al 1.0 you can find at CRC or Wiggle bikes. Really good Z2 fork, wide rims, good geo and the aluminum frame was designed with some rear vertical compliance so you don't get beat up. Get on the notification list. 4-9 day free shipping no tax. It can restock within 4 weeks. $1699 delivered. $200 cheaper. Any shop can work on it and order parts. Even a Trek shop will work on it.

Youtube channel Hsardtail Party has reviews to watch.

Paying $1900 for an X-Cal is throwing money away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sadly you won’t get a lot of love for Trek on this board.

The 2022 X-Caliber 9 is an awesome bike out of the box! The dropper post and wider bars are a nice upgrade from the 2021 bikes. You will love that thing. Congrats on the purchase.
The 23mm wide Kovee wheels will be just fine on the 2.35” stock tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
You've already ordered, but I wouldn't buy a bike with that frame in 2021. Unfortunately, stock of just about everything that is a good value (good component spec, geometry, etc.) in that price range is typically sold out. Like the Marley eb1888 described. There are definitely better values, but it will take persistence and patience to get one.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Other choices with current geo and wide rims from major manufacturers.

From Specialized is the Fuse. Only the higher priced Expert has a good Fox 34 Grip damper fork. Find near me will show you all in stock shops nationwide.

From Giant the Fathom 2 29 is less money at $1460.Giant is sometimes supplying it with a better fork. The 2 is better than the more expensive 1 model. Giant will show you all the shops with current stock.

From Trek the Roscoe was updated with better geo by Trek several months ago. Only the 9 has a good fork. The 8 has a RockShox 35 Gold RL fork with the bad Motion Control damper. You cannot fit a better Charger damper in. Junk fork.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other choices with current geo and wide rims from major manufacturers.

From Specialized is the Fuse. Only the higher priced Expert has a good Fox 34 Grip damper fork. Find near me will show you all in stock shops nationwide.

From Giant the Fathom 2 29 is less money at $1460.Giant is sometimes supplying it with a better fork. The 2 is better than the more expensive 1 model. Giant will show you all the shops with current stock.

From Trek the Roscoe was updated with better geo by Trek several months ago. Only the 9 has a good fork. The 8 has a RockShox 35 Gold RL fork with the bad Motion Control damper. You cannot fit a better Charger damper in. Junk fork.
Ok, what do you think of the Santa Cruz Chameleon MX "D build"?
Santa Cruz Bicycles MX D Mountain Bike | Competitive Cyclist

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Recon fork has the Motion Control damper. It's poor performing. Very little small bump compliance and stops working at higher speeds over bumps. Plus the Recon stanchions have a different internal dimension than better RS forks. So you can't put a better damper in to upgrade.
But there's more bad. The rims are outdated skinny 23mm inner width. 30mm is a common minimum.
More. Trek hasn't updated the geo from 7 or more years ago. Steep head tube angle and short reach.

Compare it to a Ragley Big Al 1.0 you can find at CRC or Wiggle bikes. Really good Z2 fork, wide rims, good geo and the aluminum frame was designed with some rear vertical compliance so you don't get beat up. Get on the notification list. 4-9 day free shipping no tax. It can restock within 4 weeks. $1699 delivered. $200 cheaper. Any shop can work on it and order parts. Even a Trek shop will work on it.

Youtube channel Hsardtail Party has reviews to watch.

Paying $1900 for an X-Cal is throwing money away.
I do like the Marley 1.0, find me one and i'll buy it today, and why arent' the 2022's out yet?

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Fine me this bike and i'll buy immediately. Credit card in hand....

Ragley Marley 1.0 Hardtail Bike (2021) | Hard Tail Mountain Bikes | Wiggle
29 will perform better.

(828) 301-7700 NC.
Ride Smooth Brother is the US distributor shop for Ragley including the Marley and Big Al.
Call and he'll let you know what the timing is.
If you get on the email notification list at CRC you'll get a message when your size is available.
Respond right away and a bike comes to you in 4-9 days. Free ship no tax.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
29 will perform better.

(828) 301-7700 NC.
Ride Smooth Brother is the US distributor shop for Ragley including the Marley and Big Al.
If you get on the email notification list at CRC you'll get a message when your size is available.

I'm on the list!! Thanks...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
29 will perform better.

(828) 301-7700 NC.

Cool video!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Marley and it’s a treat to ride. Such a fun bike. I think EB posted the Big Al that’s a more versatile Ragley.
Yeah, i'm coming off of a 26" rigid hardtail, a huffy from walmart would be a great improvement, LOL. So far i'm sticking with the Trek xcal9, unless the Marley or Big Al becomes available. 27.5 or 29 will work great for me at this point. I would even get the frame alone at this point and start building. I was thinking about going all out for the high end santa cruz chameleon, but for $3k what am i paying for, fox float shocks and some sram components? I don't think so....

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
I went from a Cannondale 26" F400 to a 29" FS. So glad I didn't go with a hardtail. But then, my regular rides also feature rocks.

Why, may I ask are you looking at a hardtail?
…asks the guy who craps all over e-bikes any chance he gets 😳

The answer is because hardtails rock. Including on double blacks and pro lines (let alone “rocks”…Pfffftttt) 😝

Imagine that - a guy with an e-bike, a Honzo hardtail, a FS Druid and numerous other bikes, including a rigid Unit (so to speak) 🤔

OP - stick with the game plan. Don’t let any soft posters convince you otherwise. You’re going to love it!!! 🤘👊👍

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, the RSD bikes (and frames) are nice, just a tad over my $2k budget though. Gonna stick with my xcal-9 unless a Ragley becomes available, great bike at $1699! I'm on the mailing list for both Marley and Big Al.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
29 will perform better.

(828) 301-7700 NC.

Oh, BTW, I am on the list for the 29" also, (big al). Wiggle told me Jan 2022... wish I could pre-order but can't.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts