Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two bikes from the same manufacturer, both are 140mm, 29". The lower end model lists "Rock Shox Revelation" while the higher end lists "Rock Shox Revelation RC". Looking on the Rock Shox website, the lowest Revelation *is* the Revelation RC.

Any ideas what a "non-RC" Revelation would be?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think that REI has a typo on their page... if you go to Ghost's website the S1.7 has a Suntour Auron on it and the S2.7 has an RS Revelation RC (does not say charger so assuming it is the lower end MoCo).
I called REI about the specs and they said they had special builds done for them, so the specs don't match what is on the Ghost website for most of their bikes.

I asked them specifically whether I had to take the bike if it arrived with spec in any area that was downlevel from what was shown on the web and they said they wouldn't even charge my CC until the bike was picked up. If I rejected it, they would put it on the floor. I specifically wanted to know about the motor. It is apparently the E8000 motor and battery with E7000 display and controls.

Other than the goofy name, the S1.7 looks like a killer deal. If I don't like the fork, I'll move it to another bike I have that could use it, and get a 160mm Yari or Lyric, which they put on some of the models in Europe. That would slack out the steep head angle a little as well.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went and looked at the Ghost SLAMR 1.7. The fork is a Revelation, 140mm. On the left it says "DebonAir". The right leg has a blue and black compression adjuster on the top and a rebound adjuster on the bottom. I assume this is the MotionControl version. I'm guessing the higher model has the Charger damper.

The price difference between the two levels of bike is $700. I actually like the spec on the 1.7 version better than on the 2.7, other than the fork. I'm thinking get the 1.7, get either Lyrik or Yari and either move the Revelation to another bike or sell it. I could put the Charger damper into the Revelation and keep it, but I think I want to go to 160mm travel anyway.

Any ideas what a brand new takeoff 29" 140mm Revelation with the Motion Control damper would go for? $200? $250?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I called REI about the specs and they said they had special builds done for them, so the specs don't match what is on the Ghost website for most of their bikes.

I asked them specifically whether I had to take the bike if it arrived with spec in any area that was downlevel from what was shown on the web and they said they wouldn't even charge my CC until the bike was picked up. If I rejected it, they would put it on the floor. I specifically wanted to know about the motor. It is apparently the E8000 motor and battery with E7000 display and controls.

Other than the goofy name, the S1.7 looks like a killer deal. If I don't like the fork, I'll move it to another bike I have that could use it, and get a 160mm Yari or Lyric, which they put on some of the models in Europe. That would slack out the steep head angle a little as well.
Interesting but I guess not completely unheard of.
As for the blue/black adjuster, if it is all one piece then it is definitely MoCo. Cheap and easy upgrade would be to throw a Charger 2.0 damper in (as responses so far show that there is very little difference between the 2.1 and the 2.0) and go from there. Should be around $250 unless you can find a used one that someone pulled out of their Pike/Revy to put in a new 2.1 or Avy cartridge.

Other option is to find a used Yari on eBay/Pinkbike/Etc. and drop a Charger damper in there (if it doesnt have one). No real need to pay for a Lyrik since they are pretty much the exact same thing minus a bit of weight and some cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting but I guess not completely unheard of.
As for the blue/black adjuster, if it is all one piece then it is definitely MoCo. Cheap and easy upgrade would be to throw a Charger 2.0 damper in (as responses so far show that there is very little difference between the 2.1 and the 2.0) and go from there. Should be around $250 unless you can find a used one that someone pulled out of their Pike/Revy to put in a new 2.1 or Avy cartridge.

Other option is to find a used Yari on eBay/Pinkbike/Etc. and drop a Charger damper in there (if it doesnt have one). No real need to pay for a Lyrik since they are pretty much the exact same thing minus a bit of weight and some cosmetic changes.
A 2018 MotionControl DebonAir 160mm Yari is $490:

https://www.backcountry.com/rockshox-yari-rc-debonair-160-boost-fork-29-27.5-2018

Used ones don't seem to be very common and are usually $350 or so anyway.

A question. Fox has 34s and 36s that are specifically made for ebikes. They have heavier/stronger stanchions, beefier crown, and different tuning out of the box. I didn't see anything like that for Rock Shox of any kind. Do Rock Shox have ebike specific versions?

An ebike specific Fox 36 Performance is $700 if bikebling.com is a real place to get stuff. Might be easier just to go with that rather than getting a Yari and putting an upgraded damper in there.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yeah if you keep your eyes open you can find them. I got a good deal on a Lyrik from a friend so I purchased that and sold my Yari for $350, so your are about spot on.

If you are not into "name brand" being on the front, SR Suntour has been killing it lately.
https://www.srsuntour.us/collection...-boost-rc-pcs-15qlc-29?variant=15991933861982
That is E-Bike specific. I had the Auron RC2 PCS and loved it on my old trail bike, no frills fork that just worked and worked well. If the Lyrik didn't work out I would have swapped for a Durolux and pretty much called it good. SR Suntour continually has sales (like the Summer2019 coupon code) and they are usually anywhere from 15-25% off. Plus they have a rep that is pretty active on the forum, Nick, so if you have questions you can ask him here.

And yes, BikeBling is a real place. Have ordered from them in the past, not super fast or anything but have been legit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.