Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

this is my first post on the site and it couldn't have come at a more crucial time. Having spent the last 14 years thrashing myself on my 1995 Orange P7 (rigid) the time has come to retire the old girl and replace her off-road duties with a fresh and new model. I'm teetering on the verge of ordering a brand new 09 Anthem X2 but before I do I wanted your thoughts on the following;
  • I'm 6' tall with a 33" inseam. I weigh 85kg (189lbs) and I'm leaning towards a Large frame - is this suitable do you think?
  • I'd consider myself an all-mountain rider, not that we have many mountains in the East of England alas, but that's besides the point.... we've plenty of decent hills & the like so staying in good shape isn't too difficult. Beyond XC how capable would you consider the bike to be at the occasional (infrequent) downhill and shore? (*UK 'Shore' is much smaller than the real thing with drops tending not to be much higher than 5 feet). In a recent MBUK review the writer ask's for the reader not to pigeon-hole the X2 as they'd be missing out on a trick.
  • How robust is the build?
  • What type of riding do you use yours for?
  • My next bike (very likely to be the X2) has to be versatile enough to do marathon XC rides, the odd bit of 'play' riding (dual, shore, etc) and once or twice a year take to the mountains of Wales. Can the X2 fit this brief?
Thanks in advance folks, am looking forward to your thoughts.

Buzz. :D

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
I'd go with the Trance X instead of the Anthem for what you're talking about. It gets another inch of travel, but the angles are more relaxed. The Anthem is really a longer travel XC bike, and I really don't know how well it would hold up to the drops and occasional hits it might take using it for that. It seems a bit under built for that. As for size, ride one if you can. Some people at your size want the Large, some want the small. Good luck tho.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I wouldnt put the x2 up for what you are looking for. The geo is way to racey. If it had a HT angle of 70 then yes it would be a great all rounder. I have ridden many fast/quick handling bikes and the x2 is by far the quickest of them all.

I think the problem is that most manufacturers have fore gone the 4 inch XC bike, which in my mind is the most versatile.

The old 4 inch trance, the old 4 inch SJ were to me the perfect do it all bikes. I think the only thing left there is the Turner Flux. A bike I have really wanted but is not "racey" enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks, it's a sticking point alright but what I keep coming back to is the fact that I've had my rigid Orange (XC thoroughbred) for a long long time and (believe it or not) she's got me through virtually everything - Downhill, Dual Slalom, Freeride/play area's and so on.

What this has done for me (over hundreds of hours in the saddle) is enhance my skills and ability on the bike to the point where I think that modern day bikes are perhaps over-engineered for what they're designed for. I think that the X2, when compared to my current bike, can offer me a whole lot more than the Orange and could take the odd bit of jumping once in a while. I know it sounds a little crazy perhaps, taking an XC racer on UK Shore or my local dual slalom once in a while (that's just wrong isn't it!? :D ) but it looks as though it's made of sterner stuff.

The Trance looks a little too easy going for me as I prefer a more focussed and pointed ride. It's also slightly more than what I can afford so that makes it quite easy for me to choose.

Cheers,

Buzz.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The Anthem is designed to be a pure cross-country race bike. If you want a trail/all-mountain bike, get the Trance or even Reign (if you don't plan on racing cross-country at all). You are about 30 pounds above the average cross-country rider, which would already be pushing it. Over-engineered or not, companies need to stay light for a cross-country race bike. Get the Trance. If you can't afford it, get another hardtail (not carbon fiber).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the concensus is that the Anthem should be used for XC and XC alone? Is that what you folks use your Anthems for and no other type of riding? @ mountainbiker24, my Orange isn't even a hardtail (it's fully rigid) and so my point is that by spending the last 14 years on that, 4" of travel will be PURE luxury. I think the X2 could take a bit of a non-XC beasting once in a while.. though not too often. My riding comprises of XC 90% of the time so I dont' think there are many issues... so long as I'm careful.

Thanks for your comments people.

Buzz.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
.. just get the trance :lol: theres no reason not to, it'll pedal like mad and actually work for the riding you want to do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
tomsmoto said:
.. just get the trance :lol: theres no reason not to, it'll pedal like mad and actually work for the riding you want to do.
I agree. I am 6' and 33" inseam and the large Trance X is perfect.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think the Anthem will more than fit what your after with the exception of the 5' drops, You better add at least a couple more inches of travel for that. I have a handful of rides on my new X and it is not only a great XC racer but it doubles as a super quick trail bike.

·
May contain nuts
2,402 Posts
mountainbiker24 said:
The Anthem is designed to be a pure cross-country race bike. If you want a trail/all-mountain bike, get the Trance or even Reign (if you don't plan on racing cross-country at all). You are about 30 pounds above the average cross-country rider, which would already be pushing it. Over-engineered or not, companies need to stay light for a cross-country race bike. Get the Trance. If you can't afford it, get another hardtail (not carbon fiber).
Yes, the Anthem is strictly a XC race bike and should never be used for any 'Tom-foolery' :prft:

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Haggis said:
Yes, the Anthem is strictly a XC race bike and should never be used for any 'Tom-foolery' :prft:
Nice. Catch that guy at ~2:42. There's a high quality version at YouTube.

Haggis, is that you?

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nxPXxeV5y2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

If I ever make it to NZ, I'll be planning my trip around this race.

Edit: I just watched it again, and you can see the same Anthem rider buzz the guy who crashes--in full armor riding a bike with bar-ends!--at around 1 minute in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ Haggis,

awesome work my friend. In the right hands the X2 is nicely versatile (clearly). What was funny was seeing the guys wiping out on bikes with slacker (less focussed) geometry and longer travel. As a certain Mr Armstrong once said - 'It's not about the bike'.

Thanks again guys/girls, enjoy your riding.

Buzz.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Sure, you can jump the Anthem a bit, like Haggis has shown, but how often and how big can it go before it breaks? Me, I'd rather have a bit more cush and a bike that was designed for riding trails. You could probably jump a road bike off of those jumps once in a while, too. They might even make it for a little while if you never land flat or case anything. My point is, unless you're racing, get a trailbike like the Trance. You could maybe get away with an Anthem, but why? By the way, nice pics, Haggis, but you're risking more than I would. All it takes is one time, and you're done.

·
May contain nuts
2,402 Posts
perioeci said:
Nice. Catch that guy at ~2:42. There's a high quality version at YouTube.

Haggis, is that you?

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nxPXxeV5y2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

If I ever make it to NZ, I'll be planning my trip around this race.

Edit: I just watched it again, and you can see the same Anthem rider buzz the guy who crashes--in full armor riding a bike with bar-ends!--at around 1 minute in.
No, it's Tom.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Have you guy's even been on a new Anthem? They are a different animal than the 1st gen which I also owned. The new X is a perfectly capable trail/race bike and with a life time warranty what are you worried about? The added travel has greatly enhanced ride quality and the 1 degree slacker head tube angle will promote a lot more rider confidence.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I guess with a lifetime warranty, they won't question how it broke? A 190 pound rider doing 5 foot drops on a fairly regular basis? I could buy a Glory for long road rides, but it'd be stupid. At least I wouldn't be risking my body from "unexpected" failure. There are better bikes out there for aggressive trail riding, like the Trance and Reign, but it's your bike. Do what you want with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Folks, as I've said, my riding is 90% trail/xc, the other 10% is free-ride/play area's and perhaps, twice a year I'll get to our Welsh trail centres for a sound thrashing.

@ MTB'er24, you raise some good points but there'll be no 'regular' 5' drops por moi. If I can do 2 to 3 foot drops on my ancient rigid P7, I can certainly do them on a modern 4" machine.... just not too often.

Cheers,

Buzz.

Ps - My new steed (X2) should be with me very shortly, will post some pics when she arrives.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts