Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I bet the advantages in manufacturing they learned with the DT will be utilized with the Vtach in the revision. look for Spring 2011 at the earliest. Too long to wait imo.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I love my v-tach but I think there's room for improvement/modernization there. Tweak the linkage a bit for a little more supple suspension and drop a pound or so off the frame and I'd buy another one. I'm not quite sure I want to go to the full on DH race setup podium but something a little racier with the v-tach adjustability sounds good. I imagine the guys are a little swamped with what they already have on the go though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree. I'm sure Noel has learned a lot about what these bikes are capable of since 2004, and could probably slim them down a bit while maintaining the rigidity, performance and reliability.

Just look at the Podium. The weight is 4.76kg, and the V-tach is 5.7kg. Looks like Noel already knows where to slim down the weight. Just a matter of time before the V-tach gets some surgery as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be nice if the V-Tach could recieve a "DT" makeover to lighten and update the frame while still retaining its numbers (travel, 150 mm rear, 83 mm bb shell). If it did it would def be my next bike.

It is a true free-ride bike and doesnt need to be made to race or be as versatile as the DT. I just hope that the Knolly line-up isnt too crowded now with overlapping purpose-built frames.

·
Registered
231 Posts
GaryM said:
I love my v-tach but I think there's room for improvement/modernization there. Tweak the linkage a bit for a little more supple suspension and drop a pound or so off the frame and I'd buy another one. I'm not quite sure I want to go to the full on DH race setup podium but something a little racier with the v-tach adjustability sounds good. I imagine the guys are a little swamped with what they already have on the go though.
Is the VTach lacking of suppleness ? I've ordered a Podium and one of my main criteria is comfort and plushness...I know that Podium is race oriented but I hope I won't be disappointed...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Septentrion said:
Is the VTach lacking of suppleness ? I've ordered a Podium and one of my main criteria is comfort and plushness...I know that Podium is race oriented but I hope I won't be disappointed...
Mine certainly isn't lacking any suppleness. The V-Tach is PLUSH. I can't imagine the Podium not being plush.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm very happy with the suppleness of my v-tach but there is always room for improvement. I was happy with my DT as well but they specifically state that they improved the downhill abilities with the revamp so I'm sure they could apply similar changes to the v-tach.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know when I went from a Progressive 5th Element to a Vivid on my V-tach, I got a whole pile of plush. HUGE improvement for me.

Makes me wonder if a slight geometry tweak for the revamp would be as noticeable as simply dropping down in spring weight on a coil shock, or messing with the mired of other adjustments.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm running a Push Factory tuned Vivid...doesn't get much more plush than that. It's miles ahead of the stock vivid or the rocco WC I have run on it.

I didn't mean to start a debate, I simply meant that based on the updates made to the DT and the slightly tweaked podium linkage I'm sure there are improvements to be made on the v-tach since it is the oldest design in the lineup.

I actually just knocked 3 lbs off my v-tach myself...switched to a 2010 Boxxer WC from my 2009 888 and added a ti spring. Now I just need straitline to release their new guide and I'll save another 1/2 pound over my first gen SRS.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've taken to just drilling random holes in all the thick parts of the frame. I'll stop when I have 3lbs of shavings on the floor, then go huck off an 8 footer to flat, and see if it stays together.

V-tach - Swiss Edition.

·
Registered
711 Posts
GaryM said:
I'm running a Push Factory tuned Vivid...doesn't get much more plush than that. It's miles ahead of the stock vivid or the rocco WC I have run on it.
Does the Push tune still provide a stable pedaling platform? One of the things I've always liked about the V-tach, is it barely bobs at all pedaling around XC or uphill. If the Push tune makes it more plush, that usually means your losing out on some of the initial pedal force induced shock resistance (did that make sense :confused: )

·
Registered
569 Posts
None of my push shocks have a stable pedalling platform because I always ask for it to be removed and made as plush as possible. Even the dhx on my endo was tuned for plush dh style feel. I personally would rather have a better performing suspension even at the cost of a slight increase in chassis movement under pedalling. In my experience Knolly's pedal very well without any platform anyway and don't tend to get the mushy wallowy feeling that some bikes do with a soft setup.

The pushed vivid is definitely smoother and more sensitive in the beginnning stroke but I run mine with the compression pretty much wide open. if you were to close it down I'm sure you would gain some platform feel. You couls also slow down the begining stroke rebound which would liekly quite it down for a long climb or something. To be honest I haven't really done any long pedals with my v-tach before or after the tune so I can't really comment on the difference. It does have some movement under hard sprinting on the flats now but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm kind of a loner in that I use my V-tach for everything. I will use it to ride to work one day (30 mile round trip, flat on pavement :eek:ut: ), XC ride with my spandex sporting buddies, then go hit DH trails and Freeride trails.

I find that using my V-tach on trails that are not freeride or DH, gives me a lot more exercise and overall fitness, so that I'm able to maintain my energy level on the more aggressive stuff, which hopefully keeps me from injury.

I'm willing to bet that if I emailed Push to tell them my riding style, they could still sell me on the advantage of their tune-up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Agreed. They tune based on your expected useage so they could add some LSC to keep it a bit more stable. They are also great to work with if you're not happy with the result. I always write a novel about my riding in the comments section of the order form to give them something to go by.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.