Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So I am looking to get a new ride. I have my eye set on the Banshee Spitfire. It's beautiful. I was hoping to get some input from Spitfire owners about it. I have lurked in the Banshee forums for a while, reading all I can, but I want more information!

So I have my eye on the Spitfire, but actually testing one out is a bit of a problem. The nearest Banshee dealer to me is about a 5 hour drive one way in Chicago. From all that I have read on here and the rest of the internet, the Spitfire sounds like what I want. The trails near me go from smooth and even to pretty damn rugged with lots of ups and downs, but nothing like actual DH. I currently ride a rigid GT SS 29r that I'll ride on all but the roughest trails around me and a 2001 GT XCR3000 ( a 4 inch XC bike). I'll ride all the trails on the XCR, but it does get rough and overwhlemed from time to time. Its geometry is also very steep with a 71 degree HA. I am looking for a bike that I can easily climb with and something that I can use to help me push the edge (for me) on the downs. I will also use it for some epic rides as well. I am a smaller guy at 5'6" 150# so the 5" should be fine. As far as I have read, the Spitfire can take some punishment, which is good as I don't want to baby the thing.

Do you guys think the Spitfire could be the bike I am looking for? I'm not against looking at the Rune as well, although I think it may be a bit more than what I need. It will still be a couple months before I make a final decision.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Hey. Based on what you posted, the spitfire is a good choice. You do NOT need a rune for your terrain. I ride a spitty in the colorado front range, and it easily handles 90% plus of my terrain, and I'm an X-downhiller to add to that comment. The bike climbs VERY well, and rips the descents.It will boost your confidence, and your fun level.
Do it. You won't regret it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Sounds like a Spitfire could very well be in my future!

·
Code Burr
1,381 Posts
Do your reasearch if you cant test ride one. Look at the geometry, sizing, bb height, and wheelbase. Compare them to what your riding and then ask if its going to work. One thing to also consider is the seat tube angle. Its pretty steep so you may have to move your seat all the way back to keep your knees happy. But it makes launching the bike and getting behind the seat in rough patches a snap.

When I was researching the spitfire I think I found that a Trek Remedy has almost the same geometry and a similar feel. I think the anti squat is dialed up just a bit more on the spitty though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read everything about it that I can find multiple times. I think the geometry will work pretty well for me. The bikes I am on now have pretty steep geometry which isn't too confidence-inspiring while going downhill (although my 29r is more so). I am also used to the steep STA. When I go downhill (especially on my XCR) I feel like I have to consciously make an effort to not get too far forward of the handlebars. That isn't such a problem on my 29r, due to the larger wheels, I think. As far as the Trek goes, I just don't care for the looks nearly as much as the Spitfire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts