Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 z150 and a 2005 Pike Race. The z150 does not make any noise unless I increase the rebound considerably and even then it is barely noticeable. My Pike makes a "squishy" noise regardless of rebound and makes a dull "squishy" noise when I increase compression. I have had several forks, but I cannot remember the typical sounds of different manufactures. I do remember another older Rock Shox Sid being "loud". All I know is that my Pike is "loud" compared to my z150. Considering both forks have springs and oil I would think they would have similar sounds even if they perform differently. Is it normal to hear this from a fork? Am I just being completely anal? Please help!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some experimentation

After writing my first thread I decided to go experiment with the PIKE. I noticed that the noise was much more noticeable with an increase in rebound,compression,and flood gate. If I were to use no rebound control (jack rabbit), no compression (fully open), and leave the flood gate wide open (fully open) both forks sound identical. Maybe since the z150 only has rebound, it has less noise. Once the flood gate is cranked up, along with the compression and rebound, the fork becomes quite loud. These are the usual settings for urban and trials so I can make the fork as stiff/progressive/rigid as possible. It sounds like oil is squishing around due changes in rebound and compression dampening.

:confused: Anyone noticed this or am I really that anal? :confused:

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
My Pike also makes noise while working. But I like. It is the good kind of noise, lets me know that it is working.

seriously, I hear a faint squishing on bigger hits and some deep rebounds. All normal.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.