Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I read somewhere, possibly here that the nomad now has a 1.5" headtube. Can anyone confirm?
Looking on the SC site they still list 1 1/8" headsets shipping with the builds?

If I was to order one whats the likelyhood I end up with a 1.5 or 1 1/8" headtube?

Cheers

·
SC fan
5 Posts
1.5 is not available yet

I ordered a Nomad earlier this month and was told that the 1.5 headtubes are not out yet, and that I would get a 1 1/8. If you download the 2007 catalog from the SC site it lists the headtube as 1.5, but I think I read here somewhere that they won't be available til March. It didn't make enough difference to me to delay my purchase. Good luck if you decide to wait.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, not really concerned either way really... only reason I ask is that I already bought a CK headset in anticipation of buying a nomad... and then found out this.

Looking on CK website they plan on producing some 1.5" headsets this year. Sent them an inquiry seeing when they expect them to be available. And if they are doing a 1.5 one to suit a 1 1/8" steerer as well.

Will post if they answer my query.

Otherwise, if I am using a 1 1/8" fork in a 1.5 headtube what are my options?

·
SC fan
5 Posts
I asked my LBS the same question, and they said there are reducers available for that purpose, and they have been using them for years on frames with 1.25 headtubes. They also said that the 1.5 headtube SC bikes will ship with the reducers whenever they start to ship them.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well...

HillAZ said:
Yeah, that's what my LBS told me. Can any real bike mechanics out there confirm this?
I'm not a "real" bike mechanic, but I play one on nights and weekends and alternate Tuesdays when the moon is full...

The reducers that we have used in the past are made by problem solvers and they allow you to install a standard 1 1/8" headset into them. They raise the stack height a bit, but if you want to use a king headset, its your only option. I'm not sure what SC will be shipping their 1.5 bikes with, the problem solvers or some other proprietary reducer, but it will probably work the same way. The other option is to abandoned the king headset and use a "reducing" headset. There are 2 types of these, one that uses integrated headset bearings like the E-13 reducer cups, and then there is the standard reducing headset that has the bearings built into it, like the FSA and Cane Creek models. The cane creek model were "alleged" to have cracked a few 6.6 headtubes a while back, from what we could tell, because the error margin on the 1.5 standard was a bit screwy +/-, yada yada. Anyway, we started putting the calipers to both our 1.5 headtubes and 1.5 headsets, just to be on the safe side, with lighter 1.5" frames. Stronger, larger 1.5" frames, like the Knolly, Uzzi and Yeti ASX didn't seem to have any issues at all.

the last few Nomad frames we've gotten are all 1 1/8". Not sure when the 1.5" will be available.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reply from Chris King below

Hello Craig,

Thank you for your email regarding Chris King Precision Components. Yes, it is hard for us riders to keep up with this ever-changing industry and its standards. We do not have any further information regarding our soon-to-be-released 1.5" headset. We do plan to produce one similar to our Devolution headset which will allow for a 1 1/8" steerer to be used.

Please let us know if we may be of any further service to you.

Have a great day!

Megan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.