Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking for a bike for my housemate as he wants to get into downhill with me but only wants to spend 400-600. He will be completely new to the sport.

I've been looking around for bikes and came across a 2012 Kona Operator in very good condition for $600. Does anyone own one of these and are they any good? We will mainly be riding at the downhill tracks such as Cressy/Turbulance/Bandages at the you yangs. How will the Kona Operator hold up?

I myself am getting back into riding after 10 years off. Last time I rode in 2008, Kona had a reputation for breaking frames. So I just want to get an idea of how good they are.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I have one. If you're going to use it strictly as a DH bike...yes it's a good bike. Its a solid confident bike to ride fast through rough stuff...but if you want to pedal it up anything resembling a hill...lol...good luck. I haven't ridden mine in quite some time though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one. If you're going to use it strictly as a DH bike...yes it's a good bike. Its a solid confident bike to ride fast through rough stuff...but if you want to pedal it up anything resembling a hill...lol...good luck. I haven't ridden mine in quite some time though.
We will strictly ride downhill - he just needs something to get into the sport that will hold up to some pretty rough trails. The trails are feature lots of rock gardens, drops and jumps if that helps at all. Does it jump quite well? Thanks man!

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,179 Posts
I have the 2011 model. The summary provided above by RS VR6 is spot on.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.