Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Seemed pretty damn lively

Well, it seemed pretty damn lively to me last weekend Francis. You were KILLING me with that thing by the end of the ride. 19.5 lbs!!!!! I wish it was dead - then I wouldn't have worry about chasing that flippin single-speed through the woods again.;)

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jms said:
Well, it seemed pretty damn lively to me last weekend Francis. You were KILLING me with that thing by the end of the ride. 19.5 lbs!!!!! I wish it was dead - then I wouldn't have worry about chasing that flippin single-speed through the woods again.;)
Aha... that was a nice ride JMS. I have a feeling you will be taking me and Paul out when we start doing 5 hour rides. Paul and I are like little rabbits jumping on every hill while you ride like a steady diesel.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damm fine test ride today, pink eye and all. The bike is faaast. There's something to be said about a light SS bike with an I9 wheelset. I have three issues I'm working with on the I9 wheelset though:

- 3 degree ratchet was making a crunching noise every once in a while. I talked to I9 and a 'slow' pawl might be the culprit. I took out three of the slower pawls to make it 6 degree and it's working fine now

- my Chris King cog would not fit in it. DARN. I have to put another bigger cog now. Bonus.

- on the 5th ride on this wheelset, one spoke came completely loose. I have yet to investigate.

Mesmerizing wheelset but I've been unlucky so far.

francois

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
This batch of i9s has been way less than spectacular.

Both of my sets also had slow paws. My red set ordered 6 degree and got 3 degree. This set went way out of true in the first ride, loose spoke as well. It was making that nasty popping sound as well. Once every few minutes. This set essentually had stuck paws. Once repairing the paws, I now can hear 120 clicks, whereas it was only 60 since new.

I ordered silver wheels and got black. I ordered 3d on these and got 6d. I just put in the extra paws they sent me last week. These paws weren't as slow as the red set.
Doesn't detract from my liking of i9, just ran into a few snags this go around. The i9 guys jumped right on it and got me the paws within 3 days.

This inside of that freewheel is just like jewelry; screams craftsmanship.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
francois said:
Damm fine test ride today, pink eye and all. The bike is faaast. There's something to be said about a light SS bike with an I9 wheelset. I have three issues I'm working with on the I9 wheelset though:

- 3 degree ratchet was making a crunching noise every once in a while. I talked to I9 and a 'slow' pawl might be the culprit. I took out three of the slower pawls to make it 6 degree and it's working fine now

- my Chris King cog would not fit in it. DARN. I have to put another bigger cog now. Bonus.

- on the 5th ride on this wheelset, one spoke came completely loose. I have yet to investigate.

Mesmerizing wheelset but I've been unlucky so far.

francois
Nice to see you on the trails mang! You're bike is looking uber these days.
The King cog will fit, you really have to force it on there. Others have had this same issue. My Boone was very snug as well.

Light 29ers, major cheater bikes.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Every time I try to open someone's blog, I get a message saying I "do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

What's up with that?
It seems like everyone else can see blogs.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sasquatch said:
Every time I try to open someone's blog, I get a message saying I "do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

What's up with that?
It seems like everyone else can see blogs.
I checked it out and you were especial. You were in a group called 'Photographers' and that group had no access to blogs. That's all fixed now pardner.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rensho said:
Nice to see you on the trails mang! You're bike is looking uber these days.
The King cog will fit, you really have to force it on there. Others have had this same issue. My Boone was very snug as well.

Light 29ers, major cheater bikes.
At the top of the hill, I hooked up with Ed & Pierre from the Waterdog demo. Ed's still drooling for a Niner. Pierre ordered an Evolve the next day after the demo.

Also racer-boy Genshammer was there and was curious about the bike. He thought 29ers were heavy and slow climbers. He rode around my bike for a while and was purdy impressed.

fc

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
francois said:
I checked it out and you were especial. You were in a group called 'Photographers' and that group had no access to blogs. That's all fixed now pardner.

fc
Thanks. My mom always told me I was special.:D

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rensho said:
This batch of i9s has been way less than spectacular.

Both of my sets also had slow paws. My red set ordered 6 degree and got 3 degree. This set went way out of true in the first ride, loose spoke as well. It was making that nasty popping sound as well. Once every few minutes. This set essentually had stuck paws. Once repairing the paws, I now can hear 120 clicks, whereas it was only 60 since new.

I ordered silver wheels and got black. I ordered 3d on these and got 6d. I just put in the extra paws they sent me last week. These paws weren't as slow as the red set.
Doesn't detract from my liking of i9, just ran into a few snags this go around. The i9 guys jumped right on it and got me the paws within 3 days.

This inside of that freewheel is just like jewelry; screams craftsmanship.
Ok I9 support has been responsive despite these problems:

Crunching noise - The new 'quieter' grease they're using is causing the slow pawls. Flush all the grease out and put in some very light grease is their respone.

Loose Spoke - This can happen with the Stans rim since it is light and flexy they say. The wheel has to be retensioned after 5 rides. Hmmmm.

Tight King cog - They say it will fit. Just force it in.

fc

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
- Francis

Take a Jewelers File to that Cog! That's what I had to do to a Boone/Hadley wheel.

- So far (knocking, no, pounding on wood) my I9/Stans combo took a lickin' for it's first semi-muddy SS beating. :) Fingers crossed. :D

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DMFT said:
Take a Jewelers File to that Cog! That's what I had to do to a Boone/Hadley wheel.

- So far (knocking, no, pounding on wood) my I9/Stans combo took a lickin' for it's first semi-muddy SS beating. :) Fingers crossed. :D
You got your bike homeslice? Where's dem pics???

fc

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well....kinda....mostly

I'm waiting for the RIP & Magura still, so I've upgraded my SIR for the time being with the
I9's. :)

- Pic's SOON, we just got a new computer & Comcast net service. Life in the FAST lane. :D Not to mention viewing MTBR on a dig. 20" widescreen is pretty nice too!

How are you liking the AVID's so far??? - They told me with the "new" pads that the noise issues of the 7's etc. are a thing of the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.