Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 Hollowpoint Expert and am wondering what the head tube angle is based on.

I bought it used with am 80mm SID and the head angle seems steep with that fork. I know that an inch more of fork is about a degree less of angle. I have a Black Elite 80-100 I am going to try but am considering 120mm. Of course feel is what counts, I know more about that in a few days.

Iron Horse website says 71 degree angle. Is that with a 100mmm fork?

Thanks,

Mr. P
 

· Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,119 Posts
I don't know the angles well, and I've never got a straight answer if HT includes 25% sag or even a properly sagged rear suspension. I figure this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and always confuses me.

I do know what feels right to me, and my impressions were the 120mm fork was too slack for general trail riding, and that the 105mm fork I installed was spot on once I got the spring worked out to where I had an honest 25% sag.

The fork was a 19" (~483mm) axle to crown Manitou X-Vert Air.

I'm under the impression the geometry remained the same from '03 to '04, but hopefully somebody will confirm that.
 

· I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
I don't know the angles well, and I've never got a straight answer if HT includes 25% sag or even a properly sagged rear suspension.
Great point about the sag. Between sag, adjustable forks, and riding compressions it seems that the angles are constantly changing.

I'm keeping you busy today Speedub.Nate! Thanks for the info.

Mr. P
 

· Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
There's a guy on ebay who has a 04 Expert RL and a Sport (both brand new), both bikes spec with 100mm forks.

I put on a 04 Zoke Marathon S on my HP buildup which I think is 130mm and I like it a lot. I'll post more after some more seat time, though the handling on both street and trail has been far beyond what I expected. The HP is an awesome bike!

h1pst3r
 

· Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Measured headtube angles

I once owned a 2003 Hollowpoint (which was a warranty frame from my original 2002 Hollowpoint that broke) and I actually measured the headtube angles with my Black 120/100 on it. In the 100mm position, it measured 70 degrees and in the 120 position it measured 69 degrees. Now, taking into acount a proper 20% (leaving 80mm of travel) sag on the fork, a Hollowpoint should have a 71 degree headtube angle with a 100mm fork. So it might seem that your Hollowpoint with an 80mm fork might leave you with a steep headtube angle. Personally, I had my fork in the 100mm position for long climbs (as this also stiffened my fork for less bobbing) and pretty much left it in the 120mm position for all other trail riding.
 

· New project, TBA shortly
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
just FYI, an 80mm sid is shorter than some competitors 80mm forks, so not only was the bike originally desinged around a 100mm fork, but you're also losing additional axle-crown height in the fact that the SID is shorter than other 80mm forks. Try it with your 100mm Black and see if you like it.

Hope this helps. :cool:
 

· www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,756 Posts
measuring frame angles at topout is standard

Hayduke1972 said:
I once owned a 2003 Hollowpoint (which was a warranty frame from my original 2002 Hollowpoint that broke) and I actually measured the headtube angles with my Black 120/100 on it. In the 100mm position, it measured 70 degrees and in the 120 position it measured 69 degrees. Now, taking into acount a proper 20% (leaving 80mm of travel) sag on the fork, a Hollowpoint should have a 71 degree headtube angle with a 100mm fork. So it might seem that your Hollowpoint with an 80mm fork might leave you with a steep headtube angle. Personally, I had my fork in the 100mm position for long climbs (as this also stiffened my fork for less bobbing) and pretty much left it in the 120mm position for all other trail riding.
Measure frame angles at top out. Frame angles at static sag is normally the same as top out measurement or very close to the same (unless its a hardtail, of course!).

So 100mm fork = 70 degree head angle at topout and at sag on a Hollowpoint.

- ray
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
derby said:
Measure frame angles at top out. Frame angles at static sag is normally the same as top out measurement or very close to the same (unless its a hardtail, of course!).

So 100mm fork = 70 degree head angle at topout and at sag on a Hollowpoint.

- ray
Right, what he said. Because the back shock would be set at it's proper sag too, so that's why the angles should be about the same...
 

· I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dante said:
just FYI, an 80mm sid is shorter than some competitors 80mm forks, so not only was the bike originally desinged around a 100mm fork, but you're also losing additional axle-crown height in the fact that the SID is shorter than other 80mm forks. Try it with your 100mm Black and see if you like it.

Hope this helps. :cool:
Thanks, it is exactly as you said, I put the Manitou Black and SID side by side during the swap and the SID is shorter than the Black at 80mm. Yikes!

The Black feels much better at 100, but I can see how I can easily go to 120 without feeling too slack. I have to go on a serious ride to know more but 100 feels good now, and I have a feeling that I would like 120 in Tahoe.

Strange how I try to shave grams on the bike, but when I put on the 4.5 pound Black at 100 in place of the 3 pound SID at 80, the bike feels so much better, far better than the weight difference.

Mr.P
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top