Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article on 29ers' the other day are they better for bigger people. Are the welds better? What are the major differences between ZR 9000 and regular butted alum.? Is the GF Paragon a good buy? This is the the message From last night I still can't get answers to:

whats up people? I am planning to buy a bike soon and have a few questions. first of all, I'm 6'1 260. I have heard that Gary Fisher makes excellent bikes. Made mostly for taller people. I know ideally MTB aren't made for guys as big as I am, but looking at getting the Hoo KOO e Koo or Tass. Which do you suggest? Are they built as solid, if not more than Specialized bikes? I am particularly interested in a frame I can build off of later down the line.Because of my size should I get a bigger (19 inch or 21 inch) bike? I will basically riding on the streets and some trails, but may go further. Thanks for the help.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
UNITH said:
I was reading an article on 29ers' the other day are they better for bigger people. Are the welds better? What are the major differences between ZR 9000 and regular butted alum.? Is the GF Paragon a good buy? This is the the message From last night I still can't get answers to:

whats up people? I am planning to buy a bike soon and have a few questions. first of all, I'm 6'1 260. I have heard that Gary Fisher makes excellent bikes. Made mostly for taller people. I know ideally MTB aren't made for guys as big as I am, but looking at getting the Hoo KOO e Koo or Tass. Which do you suggest? Are they built as solid, if not more than Specialized bikes? I am particularly interested in a frame I can build off of later down the line.Because of my size should I get a bigger (19 inch or 21 inch) bike? I will basically riding on the streets and some trails, but may go further. Thanks for the help.
A Paragon or Xcaliber would be great for you. It would be a sin at your size to get a baby-wheeled bike.

19 vs 21 - either will work. If you're all legs, get the 19, if you're all arms and torso, get the 21. If you're average, pick based on moon phase and product availability.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Gary Fisher bikes come in the same sizes as most brands, just have longer top tubes which in some cases can favor tall folks in the 21" size.

Most burly frames are often the lower end bikes, lots of material, cheap striaght gauge tubin, more weight. People gladly pay a lot extra for a light frame, so that's what they're offered on high-end bikes.

Fisher 29"ers are great bikes, and use quite light a frame. You wouldn't be the heaviest rider on one, but these babies not directly aimed at clydes.

The Paragon is a great buy, lots of good parts that folks on MTBR often pick as aftermarket upgrades.

If you're into a solid feeling frame, like it'll kick your ass rather than the other way around, you may want to get a Surly Karate Monkey frame to put in the Paragon bike. Sell the Paragon frame with little or no loss. If you can live with a rigid fork, you can even be cheaper off, the Reba on the Paragon sells for $400. Frame around $250-350. Karate Monkey's, if you can get them, are $400 incl fork, or a bit less used.

You could also get a worthy LBS (list above on forum) spec you a Surly KM part-by-part to be burly and kick YOUR ass. The frame can take some, and the parts to make it a bad bike are relatively easily available. 2.3" badass WTB tires, wide Unicycle rims, Downhill disc brakes, etc. You want it, you get it.

You'll love 29". All at once biking IS a sport for big guys. And you can compete with tiny race geeks much more easily.

Good luck choosing!

J

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Paragon or Xcaliber

UNITH said:

I am 6'2" 215 and purchased a XL Rig SS. Fell immediately in love sold all of my 26" wheeled bikes and purchased a XL Sugar 293. If I had more time to ride I would consider adding a Paragon or Xcaliber to the stable (best value in the 29'er market).

I also will never purchase a 26" wheeled bike again.

Good luck and go Niner!!!!!!!!!!!

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Paragon?

Had an '03. The frame is unchanged I understand. Fine choice if you have got to have a hardtail. Since you are heavy get a Thudbuster (with the Crudbuster cover) and save yourself and the bike a lot of abuse.

Sold the Paragon and bought the '04 293 & put a Thud on it for a total of over 7" rear travel. Awsome setup!

The evil kiddie wheels (26er) were never intended for adult use!

29erchico

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm 6'1" with a long-ish torso, and always liked Fisher geometry. Had an older, fully rigid 26" Paragon and loved it. The only problem was the bottom bracket (pressed in) got loose and the pre-Trek Fisher company said "use Loc Tite." I got pissed and put all the components on a Stumpy frame, a frame that I never learned to like.

Now I'm leaning towards heading back to Fisher -- this time 29" looks fun. I don't want (and can't afford a top-line) full susser.

Looking at the X-Caliber vs. Paragon, I'm leaning towards the Xcal because of price ($1269.99 vs. $1539.99) and the fact that mechanical disc brakes seem less of a maintenance hassle than hydraulics. Looking at the Rock Shox website, seems like adjustability is the only difference in the Reba SL vs. Race. Rims are also different, but I could use the difference in price to save for a really nice set of race rims down the line.

Anyone have a good reason I've missed (other than color) to like the Paragon over the X-cal, considering bang for the buck?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.