Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title really, sure I read that it'll be superseded by a 120mm travel frame. Anyone know anything about it and when it's likely to happen.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
That would be an unusual move in that the Element is still the XC FS race bike, and 100mm is a nice spec for a XC FS race bike. 120mm would seem a bit hefty for XC racing, that's pushing into the Altitude territory.

I think we're supposed to see the new Element in 2011, I wonder if it will look like my Photoshopped creation from last year. :confused: :skep: :D

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
It would be nice if they finally dropped the damn faux-bar design and made the element into a proper virtual-pivot 4-bar. Just take the Altitude and scale it down (its already got better standover geometry and pedals and brakes better) for 100mm.

·
kabouterclan member
501 Posts
On second thought... why?

3D link works okay for me. and I like the postition of the damper (to reach for the ProPedal switch)

Standover is no issue for me. And I really, REALLY dislike the swoopy tubes of the Altitude. It's form above function, imho.

Minor tweaks to the geometry might be nice though :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Respect to DeeEight, who I’m sure knows more about mtbs than I do, but I hate the use of the term faux bar. AFAIAA, it’s just a marketing scam by Specialized to get people to think that any four-bar suspension system that differs from the one they had the brass neck to patent is in some way fake. I’ve never seen any proof that the form of four-bar on the Element is inferior to the patented design. Virtual pivot is another issue, but have they been shown to be superior for Element-level travel?

Rocky can’t be looking for more travel for racing, as the Element Team already has only 3” by choice, rather than 4” like the 70 and 50. They’ll be looking at the sales figures which we don’t know, but they’ll be interested in whether each Altitude model out-sells the equivalent Element, as well as competition from other makes. Everybody knows there’s an up-side and a down-side to more travel, so it isn’t necessarily the case that 4” has to become 5”. It’s just a matter of market research to find out what people want.

I’m sure Rocky is right about swoopy carbon, and I also agree with de lars cuevas, but to be fair to swoopy carbon the fugly carbon Altitudes aren’t anywhere near as fugly as the mega-fugly aluminium Altitudes. Is it just marketing though? I suspect they made them that ugly because buyers would think ‘cripes that must work well – they wouldn’t have chosen a design as fugly as that unless it really worked’.

·
10,938 Posts
Ok, single-pivot linkage... happy now? The element is no better at what it does than the Kona single-pivot linkage bikes, or any other SPL with a similarly located main pivot (and that is basically ALL of them now). An element doesn't pedal any better than a Jamis or a Kona or a Cannondale or any other brand using a SPL with the main pivot behind/above the BB shell. They all suffer brake jack just like regular single-pivots do.

·
Registered
543 Posts
rockyuphill said:
Even the Element Team jumped up to 100mm of travel for 2009. If they can take weight out of the Element the way they did the carbon Vertex, that would be a big change.
The RM website says the rear travel of the 2010 Element Team is 3". Is that wrong?

I'm not sure actually of the relevance of racing needs as far as retail customers are concerned. Clearly many of the world cup courses are fairly smooth, so you don't even need full-suspension for optimum speed, let alone long travel. That doesn't mean that's what customers need, a contradiction that RM used to point up by having a bike called a Team Only and then trying to sell as many of them as possible. I guess people like the thought of having the same bike the team uses, regardless of whether it would actually suit their needs.

For me it's the same issue with carbon. If I were a team member who had my bikes given to me, I would welcome a half a pound weight saving. But I like bikes to last a long time, which pretty much rules out carbon. I have no concern about there being a carbon Element, but I think it would be a pity if RM abandoned scandium as a result and just focused on carbon and 7005. For some of us, scandium is the best frame material for fs.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
One would assume that one of those two details is wrong, it's either 3" or 4".

The Element Team that Lea Davidson had at the BC Bike Race in 2009 was a 100mm travel version, as the fork was noticeably longer than Alison Sydor's fork on her Vertex, so I'm pretty sure that the switch to 100mm happened in 2009.

·
10,938 Posts
If we're talking world cup level XC racing then actually 29ers are the way of the future if last years results are anything to go by.

·
aka Taprider
997 Posts
please no ugly curves for the 2011 Element (the majority of the 5 Elements I've owned have dents underneath the down tube, and girl's bike bent top tubes are ugly).
keep rear shock mounted under top tube to access lock out lever easily
keep 2 water bottle mounting locations INSIDE main triangle
make a quick release standard for seat tube and make the cut out face forward (enables one to mark inside the circle/bottom part of the cut out to be able to remove saddle or change saddle height and return to proper height easier, many people need to slam saddle for storage or transport).
Make the bike look like Rocky Uphills photoshop version, but just Altitude style rear linkage pivot. Don't make lower linkage/pivot of shock half down seat tube (like all your competition) keep it up near top tube like on existing Element.

I won't buy the 2011 Element if it loses all the past advantages of the past Elements.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DeeEight said:
If we're talking world cup level XC racing then actually 29ers are the way of the future if last years results are anything to go by.
Last years results were dominated by carbon 26er hardtails. If we went by "last years results" we'd all be riding Scott Scales (1 and 3 at worlds) and Orbea Almas (Absalon).

·
Registered
143 Posts
ccm said:
please no ugly curves for the 2011 Element (the majority of the 5 Elements I've owned have dents underneath the down tube, and girl's bike bent top tubes are ugly).
keep rear shock mounted under top tube to access lock out lever easily
keep 2 water bottle mounting locations INSIDE main triangle
make a quick release standard for seat tube and make the cut out face forward (enables one to mark inside the circle/bottom part of the cut out to be able to remove saddle or change saddle height and return to proper height easier, many people need to slam saddle for storage or transport).
Make the bike look like Rocky Uphills photoshop version, but just Altitude style rear linkage pivot. Don't make lower linkage/pivot of shock half down seat tube (like all your competition) keep it up near top tube like on existing Element.

I won't buy the 2011 Element if it loses all the past advantages of the past Elements.
I cant agree. There is only one thing I'd like RMB to do with the next Element. Make it the best cross-country bike... by all means.

Lighter, stiffer, faster!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.