Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 3 MTB's over the years. 2 budget Haro's, and my most recent bike was a 2011 Giant XTC 1 29er. XtC 29er 1 (2011) | Giant Bicycles | United States

I used the Haro's mostly as an around town / commute bike. Some dirt trails (nothing fancy).

The XTC I used for semi flat dirt trails with scattered rocks. Sometimes I'd climb up dirt hills (around 5-7 stories high) and zip back down. But 90% of my usage was flat / semi flat.

I originally purchased the XTC because I wanted a bike that was kinda light, durable components, nice fork, and that I could ride hard. At the time I was a little overweight and I wanted to use the bike to lose weight and build endurance. I even thought I might enter a local XTC race after a year or so of using the bike. But that hadn't happened before I sold it.

I would put on anywhere from 15 - 30 miles on the XTC each time I used it (according to google earth).

The XTC might have been expensive overkill for how I used it (?), but I absolutely loved riding that bike!!! It killed me to have to sell it (needed money badly). Loved the momentum and rolling of the 29 inch wheels.

So here's where you all come in.

In a perfect world I would just buy another 2011 XTC 1 29er (if I could find a used stock / mint one locally) but my bike budget is around entry level.

Since selling my XTC, i've gotten in the worst shape of my life and I probably have about 80 lbs to lose. The good thing is I know a lot about nutrition and dieting and can lose weight fast when I want to. I'd say i'm about 5'10 / 270lbs.

I actually considered the Overdrive before I purchased the XTC. It felt okay in the parkinglot of the bike shop. But I researched hard and found a great deal for the XTC.

Would the Overdrive (regular version or sport) be a good choice if I wanted to ride semi flat dirt terrain, around 15-30 miles per ride, at my weight? Once I start riding again my weight will drop FAST.

My plan:
To have fun on the Overdrive, improve my health, get stronger, build endurance, and in the future either upgrade components, or buy an XTC (or something similar) once I can afford it again.

I like to ride as fast as my body will let me. Will the Overdrive hold up well for how I plan to use it? I'm worried about the quality of the components. I don't want to have to upgrade / replace anything for at least 3 months. I plan to go on rides about 3-4 times per week. Any recommendations for other inexpensive 29ers that could work well for me? Or do I need a higher end bike with higher quality components?

Thanks.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Going from the XTC, there is a LOT about the overdrive you won't really enjoy, especially being at a higher weight (between mediocre mechanical parts that won't cope with your weight well, and less efficient parts that will really make you feel that difference too), if you'll lose weight fairly quickly you'll want something better in short order anyway - hardtail is fine, but you'll need something that comes with better spec, and the Overdrives that come with better component spec start to become a lamer value by comparison, but I would be looking at a slightly higher end hardtail.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Had the Overdrive and hated it.
Best thing that ever happened to me was crashing it bending the frame because it meant I had to get something else.

It will make a decent gravel road bike but if you want to do single track, technical terrain, jumps, etc. Forget it. As a grave grinder it will do but so will just about any 29er.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What if you bought something like the Overdrive Comp? Little bit more $, but comes with nicer stuff without getting into the XTC price range. If not, the Sport is a good little bike.

I've been riding/racing the Pro for about a year. I'm 6'2 245# No problems, and had a few little crashes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The DB IMHO is a very good bike, but to go from a Giant XTC to a DB Overdrive is a stretch....but I've had to downsize in my personal life and build up. So do what you have to do and make it work, because on your way back up, you will make better decisions about future purchases....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holy... 5'10 and 270. What have you been doing man !

If you are starting to get back to regular weight... start with GM diet. When I take break from workout and get back to it after long time, I usually start with GM diet. I am no expert... but it feels like it conditions my body, gets rid of toxins and gives me the start I need.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

What would be a good price for a used stock 2013 Overdrive Sport in "like new" condition?

Brand new they sell for $562 at Sport Chalet. Locally I found a like new version in my size for $400. Personally I'd like to pay closer to the low-mid $300's but I don't know if that is reasonable or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A neighbor just bought a Diamondback Overdrive from Sports Authority. Don't think it was the Sport model, but it was on sale and with the 25% off coupon found on their homepage, got it for a good deal. As a basic starter, he was happy. Not sure what other bikes they may have.

Just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.