Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A few days ago i tried the 19,5" Superfly 5 at the local trekstore. The dealer said that the 19,5" was the proper sizing for me (I am 6' 3 tall). I asked to try a 21", and unfortunately they were sold out.
As I thought the bike a nice fit (also got a discount), I e-mailed him the next day, asking for larger sizes in the superfly series to try out.
The e-mail reply also said that 19,5" was my right size, and that he only had a 21" superfly 9 carbon.

The question is: Is he tricking me into buying a 19,5", because he's out of 21'ers? After browsing through a couple of threads here, it seems that 21" should be the right size for me. However, the 19,5" bike felt okay.

Could anyone who owns a superfly 2014 help me out?
thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
He should have let you try the 21" 9 Carbon version, for sizing purposes only.

It's no skin off their nose and the geometry will be (almost?) identical to the alloy 5 version. There is no 1 magic 'correct size' for someone of a certain height as everyone has their own idea of a good fit for them.

Also, your perfect size might be 20.25" so you'd be bang in the middle and you'd either need to try another model or tweak the one that feels best with stem/seatpost (layback/inline)/bars changes.

FWIW, I would be expecting someone who is 6'3" to be looking at a 21" but would try you on the 19.5" too. If the 21" felt better I'd probably try the next size up too and eliminate the least ideal fitting one just to be sure.

It does sound as though he just wants you to buy the 19.5", rather than because he's eliminated the other size(s) for not being good enough.

I.M.O.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
The difference turns into this:

19"' with lotsa post and a 90mm+ stem OR
21" with 2" less post and a 50mm stem...

I'm 6'3", and had the exact same issue with my Kona, and have been happier with the larger frame. My 19" cracked and was replaced with the larger version. The cockpit setup has given me much greater confidence and control.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
At 6'3", I ride a 19" (HiFi/Superfly) frame. I have a short inseam (33"), long torso, and cannot stand over the 21".

Many people will tell you that stand over height is not an important aspect to frame fit, and that ETT is key. Perhaps this is true for neighborhood streets, and rails 2 trails, but... IME on steeper / technical stuff I, and the man parts, prefer smaller sized frames.

(tapa)

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
Many people will tell you reach is a key fit factor because riding is about control not standover. Most of those people are experienced enough to know you can adapt to a wide range of dimensions and still have a good time.
But you have to ride the sizes to know enough to choose.
Ride the carbon 21" for size and if you like it have him check stock with Trek. They can add it to their next order at no extra cost. Trek Fest is on so tell him you need 15% off. And if that carbon 21" is a 9.6 get the 15 off that and buy it--the best deal for the best in the line.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you have long legs and a short torso, the 19" might be the right size. I would try to 21" to double check if you can. I am 5'11" and ride a 19", but have test riden 17" frames and thought they felt OK in the parking lot. Once on the trail, the smaller size tended to put too much weight on the front wheel, and made the bike less likely to roll over stuff, and more endo prone.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Just go back to the shop and insist on trying the 21".....only you can say what fits, they can offer their opinion and that is all. If they don't want to let you there are a lot of Trek dealers

·
Banned
726 Posts
Just go back to the shop and insist on trying the 21".....only you can say what fits, they can offer their opinion and that is all. If they don't want to let you there are a lot of Trek dealers
Pretty much. The world won't end if you rode either of those bikes, but I know for myself, also 6'3", I went with a 21" and my back thanks me for it every ride!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.