Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive decided to get a stumpjumper. but im not too sure which model to get. im on somewhat of a tight budget but i dont mind spending a little extra for better stuff. i was sort of torn between getting the elite model and a model with the brain. can anyone sway me in either way. argue for or against the brain? is it better on the pro model compared to the expert. or is it even possible to put a brain on an elite frame? my main concern is to get a brain or not. is it worth the extra X amount of dollars to step it up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Linga, good article in Mountain Bike Action this month on the Stumpjumper expert with the Brain. Check it out. I have an Enduro, but seriously considered the SJ. The brain looks pretty cool - once you set it up, you really aren't going to touch your settings again. It looks like the position allows the best sensitivity to rear wheel forces and controls the shock settings accordingly. Not sure of the mechanics of the whole thing, but pretty innovative. They've had them on the epic for a few years now, so it's not brand new experimental technology.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you are going to get the stumpy , get the pro carbon, the brain suspension is just the coolest and it really raises the bar up on suspension ,

i have an 08 stumpy pro and an 08 enduro in expert build,

the design and suspension on these bikes are just to good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the article tip off bifford.

the pro carbon is out of my budget. i was considering the pro for a while but decided i cant afford it on a college student budget. is the brain better on the pro vs the expert?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good to know.

does anyone know if it is possible to buy a brain seperate and put it on an elite frame or is the elite missing that bracket to hold it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't know if the elite has the bracket.
Buying the brain aftermarket is not possible, only via ebay.
I also thought they are really expensive to buy.

If you really are looking at the elite or the expert, take the expert.

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
Having now experienced the Brain(s) in both front and back, I couldn't go back to non-brained bikes. If you can afford it, you should have it. The brain makes the world of difference and (in the rear at least) is tried and tested technology. I could ride my stumpy the whole day it is so comfortable, and go so much faster uphill as well as downhill. You won't get this feel without the Brain.

Beg, borrow or steal to get one, you won't regret it. :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, ill be sure to look into getting the expert now. it seems like the hop in components is not that big price wise. everything is the same between the expert and elite cept that the expert has a brain and better rear shifter and levers. thats about it. does that justify the $800 price jump? or is there more that im missing?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The price jump is a bit heavier at your side.
I had to pay 400 euro more.
3000 in stead of 2600 euro.
This represents around 15% increase.
At your side it is 28%, I have to admit that that is quite an increase for so few changes.
But heck, I still had to pay $1000 more :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guess i should use the type of currency im referring to. i was referring to american dollars in mine. the elite is $2900 and the expert is $3700 in american. back to the original question. is the brain worth the near 30% price hop? any tips on how to bargain with the dealer to get a better price? best time to go in and all that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The main reason I bought a Spec is for the brain shock. It is much better performing than the RP3 on my Scalpel.

I went for a comp as it was the cheapest frame with the best suspension (front and back).

Would have loved the carbon, but getting a custom build ZeroFour carbon HT soon, so didn't want to pay the extra.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 06 epic & just bought the 07 expert stumpy both with the brain. I love the brain! The brain on the stumpy is the best of both worlds. The pedal platform is rock solid and the switching from lockout to open is unnoticeable (compared to the epic). You will not regret by the expert!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would avoid the 07 Stumpy with the Specialized brain. I have the 07 carbon pro and will soon be on my 5'th rear shock. Everytime the brain ends up giving out and the bike bobs like crazy on climbs. Specialized says it is my fault becuase I ride with the shock set to firm most of the time. Doesn't make any sense to me since they market this bike as a cross country bike with extra travel. Great bike but their shock sucks. If you really want the brain I would make sure to buy an 08.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Epic w/o brain

tg26 said:
I have 06 epic & just bought the 07 expert stumpy both with the brain. I love the brain! The brain on the stumpy is the best of both worlds. The pedal platform is rock solid and the switching from lockout to open is unnoticeable (compared to the epic). You will not regret by the expert!
So the Stumpy bobs badly with the brain "open"? How does the Epic behave with brain "open"? My Epic's got the original non-adjustable brain.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My stump doesn't bob. It is solid on my bike. I have the expert with the fox shock and it performs flawlessly. Same with my 06 epic, works perfectly. Well worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.