Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my LBS to order a small aluminum frameset and it seems to be totally unavailable in my size (small). Is the Anthem the only cross-country option out there? I'd be open to a 120mm bike, but I have to have a headtube angle of at least 69*.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tested the Spark and the Anthem - both are excellent. My choice is the Spark. It is light, fast, and nimble. It has 120 mm front and rear. But the geometry on the Spark is a bit more relaxed than the Anthem (68 deg head tube angle vs 69.5 on the Anthem.) I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one soon.

My other choice is a Turner Flux. 125 mm light trial / XC. I can't demo one but, the DW link rear suspension is supposed to be fantastic!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Morewood makes a great option. Give me a call and we can get a complete bike quote to you.Frames

Cheers,
KP
Hey Kirk, the 2014 Zula pics show a thru-axle but the specs describe a 135mm axle. Also, a similar conflict with the brake mount exists. Hate to have a conflict on such a great looking bike. Thanks for a 100mm option and the BSA standard bottom bracket.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Hey Kirk, the 2014 Zula pics show a thru-axle but the specs describe a 135mm axle. Also, a similar conflict with the brake mount exists. Hate to have a conflict on such a great looking bike. Thanks for a 100mm option and the BSA standard bottom bracket.
Pictures are 2014 frames, descriptions are 2013 frames... Time to fire my copywriter! ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have been more specific, but I'm looking for a cross country race bike and 142x12 is mandatory. I'd also prefer a suspension a little more sophisticated than a single pivot.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
B,

Fwiw, the 2014 Zula has a 142x12 rear end, post mounts and direct mount FD boss.

As for the SP, its pretty well accepted that with 100mm or less, it *literally* does not matter what type of suspension you have. The rear wheel simply doesn't move enough to make any difference to the overall feel or performance.

** Assuming its well designed in the first place.

I should have been more specific, but I'm looking for a cross country race bike and 142x12 is mandatory. I'd also prefer a suspension a little more sophisticated than a single pivot.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt see the 2014 in size small

B,

Fwiw, the 2014 Zula has a 142x12 rear end, post mounts and direct mount FD boss.

As for the SP, its pretty well accepted that with 100mm or less, it *literally* does not matter what type of suspension you have. The rear wheel simply doesn't move enough to make any difference to the overall feel or performance.

** Assuming its well designed in the first place.

·
Registered
755 Posts
02a) El Bastardo left side.jpg

Here is a picture of my El Bastardo taken when it had 5 1/2" rockers. I have since changed the shock to a Kasima Fox with 2" stroke and the rockers to 4". So now my bike is 4" travel with a 69.25 degree headstock angle.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Scott Spark has 120mm on the 700 series and 100mm on the 900 series. The 700 has a head tube angle of 68.3 to 68.8. I have the 920 and really like it so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts