Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no post....

I'm a 53 year old ex roadie/ex XC racer moving to Bellingham WA. Just want a fun trail bike. Had a mid-2000s Heckler for a few years which was a lot of fun. Can't quite get my head around the whole 29er thing. I'm a good climber but kind of a chickenshit descender, so I thought I'd lean toward a bike that gets me down the hill. I will be riding to and from the trails (about 2.5 miles on a mix of pavement and dirt path). Want to go with either Santa Cruz or Ibis but leaning toward SC right now (so also looking at the Mojo--sill have a 1995 Mojo hardtail I bought new). Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I watched a video a few months ago that compared the new 5010 and Mojo. I can’t remember if it was on one of the bike sites or YouTube. It might help you decide which one suits your riding style more. I don’t think you can go wrong with either bike though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched a video a few months ago that compared the new 5010 and Mojo. I can't remember if it was on one of the bike sites or YouTube. It might help you decide which one suits your riding style more. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike though.
Thanks! I think I have watched all of them. Keep flip flopping but I think the SC will keep me out of trouble. Might end up coming down to availability, too. I got my name down on a school bus yellow 2022 bike if the people ahead of me flake.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Long time no post....

I'm a 53 year old ex roadie/ex XC racer moving to Bellingham WA. Just want a fun trail bike. Had a mid-2000s Heckler for a few years which was a lot of fun. Can't quite get my head around the whole 29er thing. I'm a good climber but kind of a chickenshit descender, so I thought I'd lean toward a bike that gets me down the hill. I will be riding to and from the trails (about 2.5 miles on a mix of pavement and dirt path). Want to go with either Santa Cruz or Ibis but leaning toward SC right now (so also looking at the Mojo--sill have a 1995 Mojo hardtail I bought new). Thanks for any thoughts!
What are the trails like there?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a specific comparisons between Ibis Mojo and SC 5010. Out of the two, I've decided to go 5010......main reason, the fun factor going down and it's a decent climber.

One more note on this. Although sounds like the Ibis is a better overall climber, this review makes it seem like the 5010 is better in terms of traction on the more technical climbs, and that is important to me as well.

·
Rubber Side Usually Down
259 Posts
I have an early Heckler and a 5010 V3. Both make great trail bikes and can be built up light if you have the urge to weight weenie it. I still use both bikes regularly since they both make me smile.

The 5010 will make you happy, no doubt in my mind. You probably guess most of it - the 5010 can climb quite well but not as good as the Heckler I think mostly due to the longer and slacker geo. The shorter Heckler wheelbase seems to help going up a bit more IMHO. There isn't that much in it but you sit higher on the earlier Heckler. Both seem to love descents but the 5010 gives me more of an 'I've got this, just pedal and hang on' feeling. The lower 5010 BB takes a bit of getting used to but sure helps it to feel stable and planted too.

I also ride on path for about 10 minutes to reach the trailhead.

You have a great short list of bikes no matter which way you go but the best place to ask for an SC recommendation is on an SC forum.

Go and get spendy!

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
might check out a used bronson, I recently picked up a 2019 bronson in about perfect condition for $4k xo1 build plus extras and upgrades and just love the bike. It is becoming the bike I usually put in the truck in the mornings to head out to the trails with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.