Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No its a Rush!

Last night I was ridding a local trail I have ridden many times over the years. Unfortunatly I made the mistake of not accounting for a new storm errosion gully. I was flying down a familiar downhill around 8pm and approaching dusk, when I crossed said gully running parrallel with the trail. The rear end of my bike fishtailed a good 18" left of centre, then 18" right of centre. [Edit - I was trying not to exagerate but it still may have been _more_ than 36" total]

It all happend so fast and apparently my first instinct was a heads-up peek to the softest looking piece of forest ahead of me to dive in to. But some how after the third semi-airbound fishtale, my whole bike planted, and the suspension pretty much bottomed out, and I was steering again.

I wasn't going super fast probably about 45km/hr but it was my first scare on my Rush, but yet again my Rush continued to amaze me with the recovery.

NS2000X

·
Registered
879 Posts
Haha, not as scary, but something cool happened to me on my Rush the other day. Was just taking acasual ride around my neighborhood for the fun of it and rode into a dip in the road. Well, right then I had a spasm in my muscles and shifted a little forward. The bike jumped up from the other side of the dip with the rear wheel in the air and it shifted right about half a foot. Wasn't really scary at all and it actually felt pretty cool!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Glad you are OK guys and Another Rush Crash Story

Glad to hear you made it ok NS200X and Talon- a few weekends ago I flipped my Rush over my head about ten feet and flew into a thicket of bushes/trees trying to climb a relatively small technical climb at the Olympic Mt bike trail in Conyers GA.

Scared the hell out of me. When I hit the ground one leg was still clipped with my Rush laying up in the air against a Pine tree upside down- damn I wish somene could have taken a pic- it looked funny as hell.

If there had been a sharp trunk or rock the way my head hit on the side under the helmet coverage I'd have been toast. But thank God just pinestraw and the Rush was OK just a little Georgia red clay and a minor scratch or two is about all.:)

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wick said:
Glad to hear you made it ok NS200X and Talon- a few weekends ago I flipped my Rush over my head about ten feet and flew into a thicket of bushes/trees trying to climb a relatively small technical climb at the Olympic Mt bike trail in Conyers GA.

Scared the hell out of me. When I hit the ground one leg was still clipped with my Rush laying up in the air against a Pine tree upside down- damn I wish somene could have taken a pic- it looked funny as hell.

If there had been a sharp trunk or rock the way my head hit on the side under the helmet coverage I'd have been toast. But thank God just pinestraw and the Rush was OK just a little Georgia red clay and a minor scratch or two is about all.:)
Wow Wick, that sounds like it was a little close for comfort, but with a comic result!
The injury free wipe outs always make for entertaining stories.

NS2000X

·
Registered
879 Posts
One of the things that convinced me that perhaps I needed my Cannondale mountain bike for some of my riding was a nasty crash on my road bike back in 2004. Was just cruising around my neighborhood at only 18 mph through a bunch of leaves on the ground and hit something hard like a rock. It immediately jerked the hadlebars to the right, right out of my hands, and I kept going straight. I landed on my knees and palms and a little on my belly, and both elbows were sprained for several days.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Bonus points.

NS2000X said:
Wow Wick, that sounds like it was a little close for comfort, but with a comic result!
The injury free wipe outs always make for entertaining stories.

NS2000X
50 points for the injury free digger.

100 for being clipped in at the end of the tumble.

500 for ending up on your back while clipped in, without injury.

Great mental image.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I crashed on my Cannondale recently but I was not so lucky. It was my commuter, a single speeded F1000. I was on my way to my LBS to get some oil to lube my Crossmax SL freehub, in a narrow street between the parked cars and the heavy traffic when... well, you guessed, someone opened his door quickly, right in my face. Normally, I always look in the parked cars to see if someone's there but that one had tinted windows so dark, I never saw him.

I braked as much as I could, tried to avoid him but traffic was rolling and was way too close so I hit the door, went over the bars and door, fell on my hands then, thanks to years of skateboarding and snowboarding, I just rolled smoothly to end up on my back. My bike flipped and landed on the next car parked and I was laying on my back with the traffic less than a feet away from me...

The bike was fine, I thought I was but when I went away after a discussion with the guy, I realised my hand was sore. I ended up bruising my wrist, my palm got big and blue, I cut my hand a bit too, I bruised my forearm and my knee was also bruised and scraped. The bike was fine. I got my oil at the LBS then went home and held a cold beer to act as an ice pack for my palm. :p

I skipped my big weekend ride the next saturday as I could barely hold my handlebar but I kept commuting everyday. I didn't go mountain biking since but I'm fine now so I'll go ride this week-end.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wow Dan you got us beat

:eek: Glad you made it ok that could have been disasterous- no damage to bike is amazing. Skateboarding will teach you some good falling techniques-I'm an old rider from the late 70's and early eighties and still ride ocassionaly- love to collect vintage boards. Well enjoy your ride this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts