Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

is Specialized just re-branding the control casing tires

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  36Miles 
#1 ·
I have 3 bikes that currently run the Purgatory Grid 27.5 x 3.0" tires.

• The original control casing version sucked wind!!!
  • The current GRID version absolutely rocks!!!

IMO, there isnt a better tire out there for intermediate level trail riding in a 27.5 x 3.0"

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/specialized-fuse-2020/

this article seems to indicate a downgrade of the purgatory tire. Is it really just a re-branding of the original control casing??? I sure hope not!

Note: the butcher doesnt come in a 3.0"

Ive reached out to specialized for some clarifications and will let the forum know what i hear.

Does anyone else have any info/comments to add?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Never heard back from the big S. Was in my lbs today and ordered 4 of the purgatory Grid 3.0”. Website shows out of stock. Price reduced to clear. Thats all i know.

Glad i got a few spares.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about "downgraded". The bike in the picture and on the specialized site: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fuse-expert-29/p/171068?color=263307-171068 .
Definitely has the new purgatory tread on a grid casing. You'd have to ask specialized with that one.

@kevin_sbay I just don't like the somewhat drifty feel on the rear of the purgatory. Full disclosure, my favorite rear of all time was the slaughter. I wish they made that in 2.6. I like the kind of skittish rear then solid hookup. I think my issue with the old purgatory was the bite of the corner knobs or lack thereof
Good catch!

I see Purgatory - Grid and Butcher - Grid Trail in the image.

Wonder if the original article got it wrong saying its a control casing???

No word yet from Specialized. Will wait and see if they respond.

If the purgatory has been changed to make it a better rear, then i wonder how well it will work as a front?

The purgatory stands as the most aggressive 27.5x3.0 tire offered.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Did you read the article?

"Grid Trail falls in as the second toughest casing in Specialized's tyre lineup and is claimed to offer 29 percent more pinch-flat protection and 30 percent more puncture resistance than the standard Grid version.

The casing itself sees more sidewall support, said to improve handling at lower pressure, and the knobbies are made with a stickier Gription T7 compound for increased traction. The Grid Trail casing will be available on the Butcher, Eliminator, Hillbilly and Slaughter.

On the other side of the spectrum is the Control casing, which sits just below the lightweight S-Works XC Race. This casing is for cross-country riders who are finding themselves in increasingly rowdy terrain using lower tyre pressure and wide rims.

According to Specialized, the Control casing offers a 29 percent increase in flat protection and uses a fast rolling Gription T5 tread compound for the centre and shoulder blocks. The Renegade, Fast Trak, Ground Control, Purgatory and Butcher will all come in a Control casing option."

Sounds like both grid and Control casings are stronger, with the Control tires getting faster rolling rubber.

On a side note I'm kinda interested to try that new purgatory. Not a huge fan of the old tread pattern.
the article states that the grid trail is not available in the purgatory. i would want that tire.

the control casing is what? better than the old control casing? it doesnt say what its better than? this is why im confused. Did they drop the purgatory from the grid line or just rebrand the old grid as control and then make a new grid trail that really is a tougher and grippier tire line.

I have run the control casing tires in both the purgatory and ground control patterns.
  • The control casing tires sucked!!! (in both patterns) leaky, weak, poor rubber grip.

the ground control tire is less than half the tire of the purgatory. great to pedal a fire road i guess.

i currently run the grid purgatory front and rear. its only ever spun up on me when things get wet (think roots, rocks etc). its got great transition knobs for excellent feel from vertical to lean. its not for the point and shoot crowd who go from upright to full lean.

it would be a shame to see the purgatory tire downgraded as we have 3 bikes in the family that run it! If it is being downgraded, then i got to buy a couple sets of the old grid one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.