Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an F500 hand-me-down and I've been checking it out to see what it needs. It looks like something is missing at the top of the headshok - where I would think the shock adjustment would be. It is just a flat metal with a couple of holes in it. Is there a piece missing here? Can I get a replacement somewhere? Oh, the bike is around 10 years old if that helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Do you have a lock out lever? That's probably all I would expect. Don't expect it to have rebound adjustments like the DLR 80mm on current bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. You'll have to forgive me as I know nothing about this bike. Do you mean a lever to keep the shock from moving? Here is a pic of what it looks like. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and in the large hole in the center are what look like threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've signed up just to reply to this so I'm slightly late on the scene here, but I have the exact same problem! I bought an F500 F+F from a well known auction site and there's no top cap.

Furthermore, when I compress the suspension, a little rod pops out of the centre hole (the one with the thread shown in the pic) but it doesn't rebound. I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing that the cap isn't solely there to keep the rod in place!? I've put a bolt in there to test and the fork rebounds OK but feels a bit rough.. Is it just a case of getting hold of one of these top caps do you think? I can't find them anywhere! :-( Does anyone have access to one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,394 Posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Top cap I can't help with, but the rod popping out means you are missing the preload adjustment screw. It's a headless bolt that threads into that hole, has a 3 mm allen hole and goes down inside to push that rod downward, thus increasing preload on the spring.

Try a home center or McMaster Carr perhaps?

Should look like this, and be a standard 6mm thread IIRC....

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
That makes sense! I'm based in the UK, so I'll have a route around to see what's about. Maybe screwfix direct might be able to help.

Do you know of anywhere I can buy the top cap, or is it a case of keeping an eye on ebay?

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,394 Posts
Do you know of anywhere I can buy the top cap, or is it a case of keeping an eye on ebay?
Ebay is about it. They haven't made those forks in years, and the cap was plastic with plastic threads that stripped when you looked at them sideways.

It's cosmetic, just FYI, no actual function....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks again for your help. I ordered the grub screw from ebay for 99p. I had the Headshok boxed up and ready to go for repair at Thumbprint Tuning so you've potentially saved me £95!

Now I just need to buy one of those installation tools and get the forks back on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went through this with a '96 F500. The part you need is called a "mud cap"..good luck finding an original style cap.

I found a replacement cap through my local Cannondale shop, they said that they ordered it from Cannondale.

If you search google for "cannondale headshok mud cap"...check the third link down from cannondale experts...you'll see a pic of what I received.

I just got the cap, had to source a 7mm cap screw to hold it down. It works and looks much better than the bare shock.

You can find CNC'd aluminum caps on eBay...those run about $20 US each.
I'm not 100% positive that it'd work for your application though.

search ebay for... "Cannondale Headshok Lockout Knob Dial Cap Fatty Ultra"

HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just found a company who can make me a 1.5" black disc with a 7mm hole in the middle... Unfortunately, they thought £15 was a good price! I think I'll give it a swerve if it's purely cosmetic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I should say thanks again for your help.

I'm new to the whole forum thing and was surprised about how helpful everyone is and what great advice has been offered. Forums tend to get a pretty bad press due to issues such as trolling, so I've always been pretty wary about joining one. Very glad I've got somewhere to learn more about the 'dales I own and hopefully at some point offer advice to others!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts