Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
How does it ride at 64.5 vs 66?
Interesting line of inquiry....

Currently Low with 150mm fork (Fox 36) and ~142mm rear (Superdeluxe spacer removed) with HTA showing ~66 degrees (2.5 tire up front and 2.4 rear) on my phone anglefinder.

Have been considering going full open on this rig to 160mm fork. This is not difficult to do, but messing with fork innards always gives me apprehension.

According to this calculator (approximately):https://bikegeo.muha.cc

Using Evil standard geo spec:

HTA 66.4 (150mm) > 65.91 (160mm)
STA 74.8 > 74.31

So, about 1 degree? Thoughts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely gained a little bit of the "**** it, huck it" attitude. I would say if you rode them back to back, it might feel slightly less playful, but I can't tell anymore (still the most playful bike I have ever had). If you don't ride a lot of steep stuff, it may not be worth it, but I like it.
Thanks for the response, very helpful. Did you notice any difference up hill?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Curious how many tokens people are using in the RS SD? I have had 2 in mine for the last year and just removed 1 last weekend and upped psi by 10. I need to get more rides to determine what is best for me and my trails. I’m 205 lbs all kitted up for reference and running 270 psi. I also removed the travel spacer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
...how many tokens people are using in the RS SD?
Travel spacer removed, original token removed and replaced with the Gnar Dog (2.5 x single). My Fox 36 is at 150mm... so 150Fx142R more or less.

I'm +/-168lbs and 30% SAG is ~180psi, though I always think I lose psi when I remove my shock pump.

My general understanding is that if you have set SAG at 30% and are consistently bottoming out your shock at that psi, its time to add more volume reducers (tokens).

This was the case for me as the 0-ring was popping off the bottom most of the time...has not been a problem since and 0-ring shows I'm using full travel without bottoming out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking for something less firm, and I never feel the suspension bottom out, so I'm going to remove the travel reducer and the volume reducer. That should give me more air volume, so more plush suspension.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just curious how many early buyers still have their Callings? This is one of the bikes I have owned the longest, shoot I can’t even remember when I bought it. I keep thinking about selling it, but I never do.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Just curious how many early buyers still have their Callings? This is one of the bikes I have owned the longest, shoot I can’t even remember when I bought it. I keep thinking about selling it, but I never do.
1F091414-CC4C-4A11-A931-4B4C1C2CE8E0 (1).jpg

Mine is about 3 years old. I just giver her updated parts to keep here fresh. Here she with her new cranks and bb.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I’ve had mine for three years also. I’ve also changed out some parts. Shorter cranks Pike to Lyric I just realized my Enve wheels have held pretty well also. I’ve tried other bikes bigger wheels etc. but calling fits me and
my riding needs

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I purchased my Angry Dolphin in 2017 and still ride it regularly. It's still an amazing bike and I feel no urge to replace it.

For changeup days, I ride a YT Decoy

Most recent upgrade: Replaced stock e-13 wheel set with Crank Bros Synthesis, which I really dig. Upgraded drivetrain to AXS

Pic from 2019 trip to the Pyrenees

IMG_1926.jpeg

·
Registered
733 Posts
So just got this built up as my flow trail budget bike. It is great and I am loving it, but having a bit of a time getting the shock figured.

I weigh ~165lbs and am running 200psi and getting to the bottom marker for travel pretty easily on small jumps. Not blowing the o-ring off, just getting to the 50mm marker on the SD.

Rebound is set to 2 clicks from fully closed (turtle)

Thing is I don't feel like there is a lot of pop to the rear, but it still feels like it is bucking. Right now my Wreckoning w/ 11-6 is poppier.

I get that for more pop I need either more air or less rebound dampening, but won't that increase the bucking nature?

Fork feels great where it is. I believe it is 80psi and 8-10 clicks from closed rebound. 1 click HSC, 2 clicks LSC

Any ideas?

IMG_3525.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same weight as you. If you handed me your bike I would:

Make sure PSI is consistent at 27-30% sag. Set the shock rebound in the middle and likely add clicks toward open until it got too pogo. If still bottoming out on smaller stuff then open that can up and add a token. Adjust LSC as needed after riding.

Fork: PSI at 25% sag. Add a lot more LSC. 10-12 clicks from full open. Some bucking might be fork dive rather than shock buck.

Make sure everything is wide open when setting sag.

·
Registered
733 Posts
30% sag was met at 185psi. I take sag recommendations for what they are, recommendations. LSC is not adjustable. It is the three way RC3 shock.

Went to a little test trail and did some laps and some more bracketing.

I am at 210psi. Still hitting bottom out line on the shock. This shouldn't happen on the trail I rode today. Tested the stroke with no air and that is indeed where it stops. Don't know how people are blowing 5-10mm past that and blowing the o-ring off. I have read that some people say you need 40-50psi over body weight for this and I am entering that territory.

Shock is at 5 clicks from fully closed on rebound

Fork is fine, but did mess a little with rebound. It is 13 clicks from closed. I was mistaken earlier on LSC. It is 8 clicks from closed. HSC is open, but I will adjust that mostly for park, etc.

Bike maybe is getting the pop my Stumpy Coil gets. And less supple to boot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pretty sweet ride for a 'budget bike'....

I am 165lbs as well and 30% is 182-185psi. Rebound 5-6 clicks from closed. Plenty of pop!

*I clipped the travel reducer (so now 140ish mm travel) and added the 'Gnar Dog' token.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Pretty sweet ride for a 'budget bike'....

I am 165lbs as well and 30% is 182-185psi. Rebound 5-6 clicks from closed. Plenty of pop!

*I clipped the travel reducer (so now 140ish mm travel) and added the 'Gnar Dog' token.

Yeah I got a pretty sweet deal on the frame. Supposedly a blem, but I can’t find anything. Then found some really good deals on the fork and wheels. Everything else was just looking on the bay and for sales. Cost me a little more than a new Evil frame.

So I started at 185psi. That gave me 30% sag, but I was bottoming. I am up to 220 now. I am wondering if I am missing a band or something, but I have also read that you need 40-50psi more than weight.

I am thinking about the snipping the travel reducer at some point, but want to get it feeling good stock first. Also if you do snip the reducer don’t you lower your psi a bit like 10-15?

Edit: just went and checked sag and at 220psi I am also at 30% sag. Hence why I don’t put too much faith in the sag. Use it a starting point and then tailor based off travel usage

·
Registered
733 Posts
220psi was good today. Have about 5mm or 10% of stroke left. Probably not enough for park days, but fine for trail.

Bike is just not popping that much though. I know part of it is me, but kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting line of inquiry....

Currently Low with 150mm fork (Fox 36) and ~142mm rear (Superdeluxe spacer removed) with HTA showing ~66 degrees (2.5 tire up front and 2.4 rear) on my phone anglefinder.

Have been considering going full open on this rig to 160mm fork. This is not difficult to do, but messing with fork innards always gives me apprehension.

According to this calculator (approximately):https://bikegeo.muha.cc

Using Evil standard geo spec:

HTA 66.4 (150mm) > 65.91 (160mm)
STA 74.8 > 74.31

So, about 1 degree? Thoughts?
did you ever give this a go? 142/160? that should put you right in SB140 territory with a shorter reach

I just sold my 2018 Pivot Firebird and have a brand new 2020 Calling frame with DPX2 being delivered tomorrow.

The FB was an absolute point and shoot sled, but was overkill for 90% of the riding I do. It wasn't making me a better rider, and was a bit boring unless being pushed to the limits.

I wanted something poppy and nothing I was riding in 29" was doing the trick for me. I haven't ridden the Calling (or an Evil) but i've read every review and every post in this thread.

I'm moving over all of my components from the FB & picked up some new parts
- E13 TRSR carbon wheels with DT 240 hubs
- KS Lev Integra post
- Ergon Enduro Saddle
- Complete 2021 Shimano XT 12s components
- 2021 XT 4 pots w/ 180 f/r
- 2020 RS Lyrik Ultimate w/ 2021 Debonair C1 upgrade 150mm air shaft
- Renthal 31.8 50mm stem (looking to reduce to 40mm)
- Renthal carbon fat bars
- Maxxis 2.5 aggressor out back, 2.5 DHF up front EXO, MAXXGrip
- full ridewrap

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Funny you should ask...

did you ever give this a go? 142/160? that should put you right in SB140 territory with a shorter reach
I was just putting the photos together for a post on this when the world caught on fire... evac'd from the SLV now.

I have been running 142/160 for most of the summer. My notes are back in the barn, so I don't recall the specific numbers, but this is what I recollect on level ground

Tires: 2.5 front (Vigilante) 2.4 rear (Hellkat)
Fox 36: 160mm
Rockshox SuperDeluxe: 142mm
Head tube angle (with my phone) measure with phone: 65.4+/-
Seat tube angle: Unfortunately can't recall.

Cockpit: Stem stack height reduction through Fork travel changes: 140mm=20mm, 150mm=15mm, 160mm=13mm (this is absolutely worth more experimenting). Stem length 50mm for all. Attempting to keep the basic fit/stance/reach while increasing travel. Hoping the little bit of extra reach at 160 will help with trail/climbing.

The ride: As you might expect, at 142/160 the bike moves away from its trail capabilities and towards DH. I have definitely liked the DH changes...have taken on some steeper stuff that is just that smoother at 160. I'm sure this would work well in a bike park type situation.

Do miss the trail aspect enough that I will probably go back to 142/150 whenever I can get back to my shop...best all-mountain-earn-your-turns setup for me anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do miss the trail aspect enough that I will probably go back to 142/150 whenever I can get back to my shop...best all-mountain-earn-your-turns setup for me anyway.
That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thank you, i'll continue to build mine up as a 140/150 sled.

981 - 1000 of 1026 Posts