Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you liked your medium Insurgent, the Medium Calling will feel right at home. I rode my buddy's M insurgent for awhile before I decided about getting my calling and they feel very close. I'm also 5'10" and the good/bad part is that you can go either M or L a lot of the time. I would also say you nailed it about what the Calling is for. It's my "fun" bike. Still very capable and I'll take it on just about anything, but it's just not quite as fast as my longer travel bikes. Damned if I don't take the Calling out more often though...
Nice. So you're on a medium and feeling good? Seems like the general consensus is run 150mm fork???

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice. So you're on a medium and feeling good? Seems like the general consensus is run 150mm fork???
Yes, I'm good on a Medium, but if you have a long torso and shorter inseam, you could go large. My fork is a 140. It was designed for that originally, but I heard that the new build kits are 150. I could see it either way. I actually have a 150 airshaft that I thought about putting on, but decided I like the seat post where it is and didn't want to slacken it out. If I was going to go with a 150 fork, I would probably want a Large and slide the seat forward. Good luck. Awesome bike.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
For anyone riding some chunky climbs what am I in for with xlow setting with 175mm crank and 150mm travel fork? I focus more on descents but I enjoy chunky tech climbs too. Would I be better off in low instead?

·
Registered
742 Posts
For anyone riding some chunky climbs what am I in for with xlow setting with 175mm crank and 150mm travel fork? I focus more on descents but I enjoy chunky tech climbs too. Would I be better off in low instead?
I would say just get yourself some 170mm cranks. That's what I did.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Personally, I don't like the Calling in X-Low for chunky Colorado terrain. It makes a very playful bike feel more like a "plow bike". The handling becomes sluggish and the BB just gets too low. I much prefer it in Low with a 150 ACS3 Pike and 11.6 rear.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Short time lurker but have read all the posts. I ordered my Calling without a test ride or even reading a review. Lots of studying after the fact and I just can’t wait to get it out on the trails. I bought mine used(in great condition) Muddy Waters XO1 build and I still could get an eleven6 for it spending less than a brand new GX1 build. I plan on riding it some before I commit, but is the eleven6 worth it to just make the switch now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I rode a Cannondale Trigger Black Inc as my last bike. It had every high end part you could list. The suspension travel was enough for my riding conditions but I just couldn’t get along with the head angle or the proprietary parts. The Lefty Max was nifty and the switch adjustable geometry was cool, but it wasn’t confidence inspiring on descents. I loved the 650B wheels. I am hoping this Calling is the bike I have been searching for.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Short time lurker but have read all the posts. I ordered my Calling without a test ride or even reading a review. Lots of studying after the fact and I just can’t wait to get it out on the trails. I bought mine used(in great condition) Muddy Waters XO1 build and I still could get an eleven6 for it spending less than a brand new GX1 build. I plan on riding it some before I commit, but is the eleven6 worth it to just make the switch now?

I have an 11-6 and a Super Deluxe tuned by Craig at Avy. I swap back and fourth periodically, there is no doubt the 11-6 is superior in every way with the exception of weight. I had about 600 miles on the Calling prior to the 11-6 and about an additional 800 after the 11-6. I personally think its worth every penny!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have an 11-6 and a Super Deluxe tuned by Craig at Avy. I swap back and fourth periodically, there is no doubt the 11-6 is superior in every way with the exception of weight. I had about 600 miles on the Calling prior to the 11-6 and about an additional 800 after the 11-6. I personally think its worth every penny!
Is it a better idea to upgrade the shock , or update the fork

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Sweden,

Is it safe to run the Shock @55 stroke instead of 50 stroke? Im going to add 2 more botomless tokens today and wonder if i should remove the travellimiter too.

Will this harm my frame in anyway etc?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

I would start with the shock. The difference between the Pike and the Lyrik is noticeable at times, but the difference between the SD and the 11-6 is much more significant!

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts

Depending on how much you want to spend....

I'd update the fork first to 150 mm with the PUSH ACS-3 coil kit, then upgrade the rear to 11.6.

The coil converted Pike works great on the Calling and I think the additional stiffness benefit of the Lyric to be minimal, for this application.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great video on why the Evil suspension is so good...this is on the Offering, but I assume the suspension is very similar through the entire line from Following > Calling > Insurgent > Wreckoning > Offering.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Personally, I don't like the Calling in X-Low for chunky Colorado terrain. It makes a very playful bike feel more like a "plow bike". The handling becomes sluggish and the BB just gets too low. I much prefer it in Low with a 150 ACS3 Pike and 11.6 rear.
Yup I'd have to agree with you. I prefer it in Low setting after putting some time in on both on some of my most favorite trails. This bike is making me love MTB again. When I had my DB Release 5c I started opting to grab my roadbike and fixie 'cause I just wasn't enjoying the trails. Now I just want to ride my Evil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since the 66 degree head angle is a little steep compared to newer bikes, and the consensus seems to be that low rides better than x-low and x-low slackens the seat tube further...

Has anyone experimented running low with a Works -1 or -2 degree headset?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Calling stays in Low. The 150 fork with the -1.5° Works headset slacks the HTA angle to ~64.5° while keeping the STA manageable.

p5pb18380791.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve been riding mine in XLOW with 150mm fork for almost 2 years and love it! I recently switched it to LOW just for kicks and immediately changed it back to XLOW as it just feels so right to me. It still climbs great and descends/corners/jumps significantly better than LOW. I run 165mm cranks to minimize pedal strikes and ride in Southern California, for reference, where there are many rocky trails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does it ride at 64.5 vs 66?
Definitely gained a little bit of the "**** it, huck it" attitude. I would say if you rode them back to back, it might feel slightly less playful, but I can't tell anymore (still the most playful bike I have ever had). If you don't ride a lot of steep stuff, it may not be worth it, but I like it.

961 - 980 of 1026 Posts