Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1026 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling 1.jpg Calling 2.jpg Calling 3.jpg Calling 4.jpg Calling 5.jpg Calling 6.jpg Calling 7.jpg

Brown Santa (UPS) came a knockin' this week and delivered me an Evil "The Calling". It just makes sense for me, the way I ride and what I mostly ride. I went with a high-end build. It's not the lightest nor the heaviest (7.34lbs. frame alone). I just built it up last night, so only the street test, but if that's any indication....woohoo, KW was right. You feel like you stole it and have to ride it as a getaway. :cool:

The build was pretty easy. Might be easier since this is my 5th EVIL that I've built on my own, not too mention the few others I've built for friends. The seat dropper inner tube allowed for it to pop up vs. having to use a coat hanger. :thumbsup: The Eagle DT was a little weird, but nothing I couldn't figure out. I used (2) spacers on the drive side of my SixC cranks to line up the built in chain guide. I am using the front wheel for both the Calling and the Insurgent. Would have used both wheels if it weren't for Boost. The Muddy Waters coat is like a primer (I'm sure it's not), so we'll see how it holds up!? :skep:

p.s. Yes a water bottle fits. It even fits the Specialized tool kit mounted to the bottom of the cage, but it will be challenging to remove the tool as it is right on top of the Monarch. You have about 3/4" of space below the cage, to the shock top, and the "normal" sized bottle with no problem.

Here's the build:

(M) The Calling - Muddy Waters
Super Deluxe RC3 Debonair
2016 Fox Float 36 RC2 - 150
SRAM Eagle XO1 Drive Train
I9 Torches laced to 40mm Carbon Derby Rims
Maxxis DHF WT
Maxxis DHR WT
ENVE RSR Bars
Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
Ergon GE1 Grips
Shimano M820 Brakes
XT 180 Rotors
Race Face SixC Cranks
ROTR BB
Blackspire 32t Oval Chain Ring
Gamut Podium Pedals
9point8 Fall Line 150 Dropper Post
Specialized Control Dropper Remote
Specialized Phenom Saddle

29.38 lbs.

Reactions: pvflyer

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
:green: w/ (insert your bar brand)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Nice! Somehow I knew one of those would show up at your door. Looks great. Weighs almost exactly the same as my Endorphin.
I'm sure it goes without saying, but let us know how it rides.

·
I fix choppers
992 Posts
Brown Santa (UPS) came a knockin' this week and delivered me an Evil "The Calling". It just makes sense for me, the way I ride and what I mostly ride. I went with a high-end build. It's not the lightest nor the heaviest (7.34lbs. frame alone). I just built it up last night, so only the street test, but if that's any indication....woohoo, KW was right. You feel like you stole it and have to ride it as a getaway. :cool:

The build was pretty easy. Might be easier since this is my 5th EVIL that I've built on my own, not too mention the few others I've built for friends. The seat dropper inner tube allowed for it to pop up vs. having to use a coat hanger. :thumbsup: The Eagle DT was a little weird, but nothing I couldn't figure out. I used (2) spacers on the drive side of my SixC cranks to line up the built in chain guide. I am using the front wheel for both the Calling and the Insurgent. Would have used both wheels if it weren't for Boost. The Muddy Waters coat is like a primer (I'm sure it's not), so we'll see how it holds up!? :skep:

p.s. Yes a water bottle fits. It even fits the Specialized tool kit mounted to the bottom of the cage, but it will be challenging to remove the tool as it is right on top of the Monarch. You have about 3/4" of space below the cage, to the shock top, and the "normal" sized bottle with no problem.

Here's the build:

(M) The Calling - Muddy Waters
Super Deluxe RC3 Debonair
2016 Fox Float 36 RC2 - 150
SRAM Eagle XO1 Drive Train
I9 Torches laced to 40mm Carbon Derby Rims
Maxxis DHF WT
Maxxis DHR WT
ENVE RSR Bars
Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
Ergon GE1 Grips
Shimano M820 Brakes
XT 180 Rotors
Race Face SixC Cranks
ROTR BB
Blackspire 32t Oval Chain Ring
Gamut Podium Pedals
9point8 Fall Line 150 Dropper Post
Specialized Control Dropper Remote
Specialized Phenom Saddle

29.38 lbs.
Very handsome and congrats. Now the questions...

• You had an Insurgent prior, yes?
  • Was the Insurgent "too much" bike for your day-to-day excursions?
  • or were you looking for something that was more spirited, better climber, faster, etc?

I've demoed the Following and the Insurgent and felt more confident on the Insurgent for my style of (or lack thereof) riding. Next year I will likely retire my current steed ('14 Banshee Rune V2) and replace it with a newer version of the same thing (yeah, I liked it that much) or an Insurgent. The Insurgent is the only bike I've demoed (I've ridden pretty much everything) since acquiring the Banshee that rivals it in all aspects. We'll see.

:thumbsup: :devil:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This: •or were you looking for something that was more spirited, better climber, faster, etc?

Let's call it "snappier"! I just feel that the Insurgent is an "Apache Helicopter" and I want something with a little less firepower. I, also, had a Following and regretted selling it, but this is a better substitute. I think that the Insurgent will get used, more than the Following would have if I had those 2, but this bike seems to be very capable and the fun factor should be through the roof.

·
I fix choppers
992 Posts
I just feel that the Insurgent is an "Apache Helicopter" and I want something with a little less firepower.
Nice. I lean more towards wielding a Falchion or Battle Axe than a Katana, but you get my drift.

It has been suggested that one should ride the bike that suites them for the bulk of their riding versus something at the infrequent end of the of spectrum. On the contrary, I prefer to never want to feel that I am limited by the bike's capability when I reach that infrequent end. Then the rest of it may be taking a FN P90 to go duck hunting, but I like having the "firepower" when shiz goes sideways.

:thumbsup: :devil:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice, my large muddy water should be here mid next week now !

I would be scared the Calling and the Insurgent kinda overlap ? The insurgent is obviously bigger, but not by much !

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took her out for a proper thrashing this afternoon. We are supposed to get hit with a deluge tomorrow, so I wanted to test her out before. It was still pretty wet out there from last week's storm, so I think it's going to be a bit before the area dries out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1481766835.417253.jpg

Anyways, no surprises. I wasn't expecting to be surprised, one way or the other, so it was par for the course. Last week I rode Dude's SB5c V2. He thought it would be very similar to the Calling and it was. His being a bit small for me, but it railed and was fun as hell. Well the Calling was, as well. The things that stood out were the turns, felt way more over the front. I was ripping corners that I haven't ripped in a while. Suspension, very smooth. The shock/metric/trunion combo really is good. I'd say it feels better than the Insurgent with the 11/6. I'm not saying more capable, just feels better. No holding back, was the last thing. I never felt under biked, even through some pretty good high speed chop. The bike handled everything.

The overlap. I, too, was concerned that there was too much overlap between the two bikes. As of right now, I think it'll be fine. I am planning on using my Insurgent for bigger days...all the way up through bike parks days. I'm going to give the Insurgent a good run at being a bike park/shuttle/big hit bike. It really showed it's true colors in Retallack and on the North Shore this summer.

One ride only, but to me it's a perfect bike for what I ride 85% of the time. Completely happy with this one. I'll keep posting up reviews about things I notice as I get it more dialed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sweet ! So how was it compared to the Yeti when it comes to pedaling hard ? Climbing, or out of a turn.
Just asking because I'm not worried at all with the DH performance ;)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah. The bike pedals just as well as the Insurgent, which is a great pedaler. I didn't climb a bunch today, but from what I could tell it's right on par with the best of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome, Dom, good for you! Please keep the reports coming as you settle into this "little" beast. I am very curious how it will directly relate to The Insurgent, of which mine just laughed at it's first 7 months of flogging. I've had Wreck remorse since the day I pulled the trigger but have let sanity prevail. The Calling may prove to be a real problem, though. I want one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
About the crankset, I'm always confused with the chainline thing. The Sixc has different values, maybe you have the 48.5 ? That would make sense you added one spacer to reach the 51mm chainline of the Calling ?

I have a Next SL listed @ 51mm, so If I understand this thing correctly, on the Calling, I'll only need one spacer on the drive side ?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will. I thought about the bike quite a bit after the ride. I thought the Insurgent was the "one bike" solution, with the X-Low and Low and it still might be!? However, it depends on how/what you ride. Most people that get an EVIL bike are on the more aggressive side of riding. At least, they should be because that's where these bikes shine, even the Following. The Insurgent has the ability to go on all day epics and taken directly to the bike park and you be would happy. The Wreckoning, as I understand, could handle everything at the bike park with a SEG and then you could take it on all of your trails and be fine. The Following is a trail monster. You really have a great bike between your legs for semi-aggressive trail riding, but when you start to get more into the gravity oriented realm, it lacks a bit of confidence inspiring travel.

This is where the Calling fits in. I now understand the name. It's "Calling" is to be one for all. You really do get the Following/Uprising playfull/sanppy/poppy-ness from riding this bike on the trail. You get the aggressive trail riding, all out let her rip through the ups and downs of the Insurgent...trail slaying ability. And finally, I think this is NomadCV3esque capable. If that makes any sense. Meaning, it is bike park capable. You could take it there and go through everything. You could hit big jumps with confidence, even though it's only 131mm of travel. That being said, it's not going to down right destroy a bike park like the Wreckoning or Undead, but I think it'd handle it.

Wreckoining: Bike park bike. Very Aggressive trail riding is it's sweet spot.....EARTH RAPER! Can trail ride on regular trails with ease. A bit too big for all day epics.

Insurgent: Very bike park capable. Amazing on jumps and anything that speed is needed, or wanted. Aggressive trail riding is also spot on. Will rocket you up and down any other kind of trail. Fine for all day epics.

Calling: Can take it to the bike park. Probably has it's limits, speed wise, through the big stuff. Aggressive trail riding is fine. Again, it's probably has it's limits, but really feels capable. Unreal trail feel. Feels like you need to go faster. Turns every turn into a blur. You feel like every straight away the wheel should be up in the air due to you trying to get more speed to nail that next turn and rocket through it. All dayer's are great for this bike. Go at it.

Following: Wouldn't really want to take it to the bike park. It could do it, but why? Fairly aggressive trail riding is okay, but it's a bit of a pucker. General trail riding is a blast. Fun, poppy and snappy. Bigger wheels don't turn as easy...at least for me. All day epics are kick ass on this bike.

These are my .02. There is no "One Bike", but EVIL has thrown a few punches at trying to get one.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so, is the Calling the 27 version of the Uprising or Following?
Not sure if it's either!?

I took it out again yesterday and the dirt was unbelievable. It rained hard a few days ago, so I was expecting slop, but the high winds and freezing temps made the dirt as good as it gets. Rode the bike hard and was able to determine that it climbs better than the Insurgent (I had the Insurgent in X-Low). It rails the corners. I mean really rails them. And finally, just kicks ass on the DH. I never noticed, nor thought, that I was on a short travel bike. It could be the combo of a great bike and me riding Evil's for the past few years, but it was one of the best rides I've been on in recent times.

I can't compare it to the Following, because I never felt as confident on the Following. I can't compare it to the Uprising, because the length give you more stability. It definitely would be more like the Following for overall trail riding fun and flickability. More like the Insurgent for downright assaulting the mountain. The Uprising was an anomaly. I have never felt anything, except the Undead, that feels that way.

I'm not going out on a limb here when I say, this bike could serve the majority as their "one" bike.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Not sure if it's either!?

I took it out again yesterday and the dirt was unbelievable. It rained hard a few days ago, so I was expecting slop, but the high winds and freezing temps made the dirt as good as it gets. Rode the bike hard and was able to determine that it climbs better than the Insurgent (I had the Insurgent in X-Low). It rails the corners. I mean really rails them. And finally, just kicks ass on the DH. I never noticed, nor thought, that I was on a short travel bike. It could be the combo of a great bike and me riding Evil's for the past few years, but it was one of the best rides I've been on in recent times.

I can't compare it to the Following, because I never felt as confident on the Following. I can't compare it to the Uprising, because the length give you more stability. It definitely would be more like the Following for overall trail riding fun and flickability. More like the Insurgent for downright assaulting the mountain. The Uprising was an anomaly. I have never felt anything, except the Undead, that feels that way.

I'm not going out on a limb here when I say, this bike could serve the majority as their "one" bike.
alright, more than i was expecting. appreciate the direct comparisons

·
Registered
596 Posts
Great write up. How would you compare and contrast it to the Yeti SB5 you rode. Out of interest what didn't you feel was comfortable about the Following?

1 - 20 of 1026 Posts