Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is Snowshoe worth a very long drive???

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dartman 
TurnerConvert said:
...but you will almost inevitably still have to deal with some of the mud and slick roots that I have come to think of as being synomymous with Snowshoe.
You forgot the rocks. Rocks, roots, and mud constitute about 99% of our trails. Although, we did receive less than average snowfall this past winter and so far spring has not turned into monsoon season, so the trails should be in good shape this summer. Maybe even dry by August. I think the last time I saw "dry" trails here was August 2002 when we experienced a drought in that summer. Snowshoe's race trails usually suffer from to many wheels covering the same ground in a short period of time. The MNF trails actually suffer from underuse, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just learn to ride with a folding saw and forget about crazy light parts that just don't stand up to the abuse.

FloridaFish said:
I live in florida so I really wanna experience riding with actual elevation change, and long descents. I guess my riding would be considered aggressive xc or "all mountain", but I'm really interested in trying some downhill type stuff to see what it's all about. I ride a kona dawg so I'm not sure if my bike is up for downhill riding, but I guess I could rent too.
If you want to try a man-made park, Snowshoe's would be hard to beat east of the Mississippi. Intrawest, Snowshoe's owner, is the same group responsible for Whistler's park as well, I believe. They have good DH bikes and body armor available for rent at Snowshoe. I live about 20 miles from Snowshoe but have not ridden the "park" as its not really my cup of tea.

Elevation change and long descents are what Pocahontas County riding is all about. Over 70% of our county is inside the Monongahela National Forest, and its said that we have over 800 miles of rideable trails, although I've never bothered to do the math. We've had some Floridians attend the Slatyfork Shuffle in the past and I believe they got more than their fair share of elevation change and long downhills (and also uphills) while they were here. You may want to consider a "pay" day at Snowshoe and a few days riding the MNF around Gauley Mt. if you come up this way.

Just my $0.02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.