Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Just some guy
169 Posts
Do any of these really add value to your bike?

Hard or sharp impacts still scratch through it.

The edges eventually peal and get dirty/ dirt under them.

If it has any UV exposure when you peel the wrap off the UV has been magnified and now you have two different colors of paint.

The areas not covered still get dulled from wear and tear exacerbating the above.

What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I have two bikes, and before the pandemic bike shortage, I would replace one bike every year. Before wrapping the frames, bikes would get pretty beat up looking in the two years of riding in rocky and dusty conditions. I don’t have any paint chips on my current frames so I think the wraps did their job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My new bike came with invisiframe pre-installed from factory. 2021 Vitus Escarpe CRX. Looks great and I'm really happy with it, as I'd likely not have bothered doing it myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i guess my question about using tape of any sort on a frame is what happens after it's been on for a long time and it starts to peel? So you go to remove it and, oops, does it take some paint off or will it remove your decals? Will the tape discolor over time?

·
Registered
525 Posts
i guess my question about using tape of any sort on a frame is what happens after it's been on for a long time and it starts to peel? So you go to remove it and, oops, does it take some paint off or will it remove your decals? Will the tape discolor over time?
I've tried a lot of various tapes and only non-bike specific tapes have peeled and needed re-application.

Use a heat gun/hairdryer to warm the tape up and some goo gone once you peel an edge far enough back and you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,597 Posts
I got the invisiframe kit for my last bike, but I didn't get it for my current bike. I don't see a point if you aren't planning on turning around and selling it in a year and even then, no one is going to care that you have invisiframe on it, it's only your hope that it'll keep big dings and scratches from happening.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The cost difference is not that large if you use quality materials and the same amount of coverage. XPel or other quality film is like $50-60 minimum for a dual suspension bike, and many many hours to cut templates that will overlap almost perfectly. To put things in proportion, the Invisiframe generic kit is also about that price (but it is not as extensive coverage).

If you use fake 3M from amazon or ebay then it does get substantially cheaper.

Protection from those tapes is fantastic. Even the Amazon 3M knockoffs are fine. They hold to abuse much better than bike paint, absorb some energy of small rocks, and zero abrasion from knee pads and shoes.

After doing it by hand on a few bikes, I cannot imagine not getting a kit again. It's way too much time if you want to cover the two triangles without gaps. I have to say that Invisiframe is little ridiculous providing full coverage for suspension links and such.

Two bikes after 5 and 8 years look almost new. The only paint chips were there before I put the tape, or on areas that the tape does not cover. Needless to say the bike looks great when you sell it which helps.

Peeling: 100% installation. A properly installed tape lasted 5 years of major beating. You can see these tapes on many cars with no peeling whatsoever. The guys that do the cars are usually experienced because they do this every day.

If anyone thinks the pieces are too big, you can cut them with scissors. But you really should not, they already make the kit from too many parts.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
Excellent post CrozCountry, So when you sell a bike do you remove the tape before selling to show how good of shape it’s in?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Excellent post CrozCountry, So when you sell a bike do you remove the tape before selling to show how good of shape it’s in?
I leave it on. Many people know this from cars, so they see the additional value. If the frame was ridden before taping, the tape gives it a nice gloss shine that paint loses over time.

If some part is peeing and looks ugly, I cut it out. That's not so common.

·
40,768 Posts
I leave it on. Many people know this from cars, so they see the additional value. If the frame was ridden before taping, the tape gives it a nice gloss shine that paint loses over time.

If some part is peeing and looks ugly, I cut it out. That's not so common.
That’s what I was thinking. I have Invisaframe on mine, do you know if they will send out a specific replacement cut from a kit upon request?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. I have Invisaframe on mine, do you know if they will send out a specific replacement cut from a kit upon request?
As far as I know they don't, but maybe things changed. Cutting one or two pieces is OK, but if I was selling a bike I would just remove it.

If you are careful you can cut out an ugly edge and leave the rest of the sticker intact. Clean well, peel an inch, cut the edge with sharp scissors, use the wet method to apply that inch back again. Use a lot of liquid to keep things clean when you reapply. It usually happens to me around the rear triangle.

·
40,768 Posts
As far as I know they don't, but maybe things changed. Cutting one or two pieces is OK, but if I was selling a bike I would just remove it.

If you are careful you can cut out an ugly edge and leave the rest of the sticker intact. Clean well, peel an inch, cut the edge with sharp scissors, use the wet method to apply that inch back again. Use a lot of liquid to keep things clean when you reapply. It usually happens to me around the rear triangle.
I did exactly what and how you mentioned. Came out ok but it’s not cut straight enough. I’m going to check out my leftover sheet that still has some oddball small sections I never installed, maybe I’ll get a piece big enough to work. If not I’m going to give them a call and see if they’ll send just that one section from my bike models kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my last bike second hand and the PO had done a generic 3M tape job. It looked awful, easily visually worse than scratches. Plus, there were already scratches on many other parts of the frame that had no tape, so I peeled it all off and never looked back.

New bike is big money and carbon and new, so I sprung for a Ride Wrap full coverage kit. I can't even fathom anyone's desire to cut their own pieces for something like this. If you just want to hit the big areas it's one thing, but a full coverage job would take way more time I'm willing to throw at it.

At the end of the day, a Ride Wrap barely costs more than a single new Maxxis tire. Or, for me, I plan on keeping the bike for at least 3 years and I ride it 4 times a week, so the wrap cost me like 16 cents per ride.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
I suppose it might make more of a difference to me if they made kits for my bikes. Since they don't, there's no real advantage to buying a kit. It's just as easy to cut the tape myself.

·
40,768 Posts
I suppose it might make more of a difference to me if they made kits for my bikes. Since they don't, there's no real advantage to buying a kit. It's just as easy to cut the tape myself.
Did you check if Invisaframe makes a kit for yours? I had the same issue with Ride Wrap, they weren’t up to speed yet on the newer version Intense Primer frame so I called Invisaframe and they were.

·
Registered
67 Posts
3M automotive vinyl tape over key areas. I buy the 2 and 4 inch rolls, which is still cheaper than a tailored kit and can cover 2-3 bikes. I don’t need to cover every little crevice. Just the areas that would be prone to rock chips.

In addition, 3M tape can be installed crappy with bubbles and said bubbles will eventually go away even without poking them with a needle. 3M tape also has some stretch which does aid in installation, especially on curved or angled surfaces. 3M tape doesn’t have to be applied absolutely perfectly and it will still offer protection equivalent to(or exceeding) a $100+ frame specific kit.
Where do you buy rolls? Better yet, 3m part numbers for what you use and I’ll order it through grainger. Currently I buy a “kit” off Amazon but the price is high for what you get and I’d rather purchase in bulk.

·
Magically Delicious
10,580 Posts
You do not want overlap. Overlap creates a raised edge and dirt will migrate under the overlap void. Butted seams if the application dictates.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts