Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a new bike coming in that I spent a pretty penny on and want to protect it as much as I can. My current bike I used generic 3M tape and while it was a ***** to put on, I did an ok job and it does well protecting my frame.

Now I’m thinking about getting a kit from ridewrap that is specifically tailored to my frame. But it’s like 4x the cost as 3M tape. So my question is, is it worth it? I want to cover as much of the frame as physically possible and I just remember how difficult it was cutting out the 3M tape in specific shapes and sizes to cover every nook and cranny. But I did just spend a **** ton of money on a new bike so I would also like to cut costs where I can.

Thoughts?

Gesture Line Elbow Knee Font

·
Just some guy
169 Posts
I honeslty cannot imagine what it would be like to cut tape like a ride wrap tailored kit. I barely had the patience to install the kit on my bike, but it did a really good job. Took me four hours that very first time, I would like to think the next one will be easier.

I made the mistake of paying the shop that i purchased my most recent bike to install a Ride Wrap, and I did a much better job my first time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honeslty cannot imagine what it would be like to cut tape like a ride wrap tailored kit. I barely had the patience to install the kit on my bike, but it did a really good job. Took me four hours that very first time, I would like to think the next one will be easier.

I made the mistake of paying the shop that i purchased my most recent bike to install a Ride Wrap, and I did a much better job my first time.
right after I posted this I ended up buying the ride wrap. The saved time and detail alone with the tailored kit is worth the extra money imo. I’m very ocd and I’m sure I will appreciate it in the long run.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It depends on the frame in my view. Some have much easier tubing to cover with generic tape.

I had Ride Wrap put on my latest bike and the fitting is 99%.

After fitting invisiframe protection on my last bike it was a slow PITA I'm keen to avoid.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I recently RideWrapped a forbidden druid. The rear triangle was a total pain due to all the tight shapes. Eventually I just said "F" it and stopped worrying about perfection — the bike is going to be covered in dirt most of the time anyway.

Ultimately, I think it is worth it if you have an expensive carbon frame, but I definitely hated the process. When I go back to an aluminum frame, it will be lamin-x.

RideWrap would be much easier if they doubled the pieces by halving their size, especially for difficult areas.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
While I understand the desire to keep any bike looking good , the reality is the bike is going get bang up to some degree just because how and where it's ridden. Saying that I don't bother for the most part , I did put some tape on the down tube of my Tallboy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're already set on adding frame protection then it's definitely worth it if you can afford it. Takes a few hours vs more like a whole day trying to measure and cut pieces yourself. Good way to give yourself a migraine.

·
Magically Delicious
10,580 Posts
I much prefer tape over the expense of precut product. I can get about four bikes from a roll. I dont go OCD on any measurements. I cut an acceptable size for what I intend on covering and rough cut and trim to fit.

No doubt, there is a learning curve, but it advances quickly. I do strive for a quality and sound application. No bubbles and solid edges are not that difficult with some practice.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
I came here to say exactly this, thanks for saving me the trouble.

I used Invisaframe and was extremely happy with the detail of the cuts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I came here to say exactly this, thanks for saving me the trouble.

I used Invisaframe and was extremely happy with the detail of the cuts.
Same. I used Invisiframe and it works well, looks good, but takes a while to apply. It definitely helps if you can set aside a day, be patient, and take your time.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I got all OCD and made templates for my 5010 frame. It looks pro, has 99% paint coverage, and better downtube protection, but I wouldn't do it again. Time savings alone make the kit worth it. I might still use the EM Shelter Tape on the DT again though.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The kit is worth it. Tailored to the frame.

Is not for the cheap bikes. But when the bike cost so much, keeping it fresh and mint is a good idea. If it get scratched up, is only the skin. Peel it off and bike is fresh for sale to second owner.

If you intend to ride the bike til it cracks, then throw away never worrying about resale value, then ridewrap type protection isn’t really for you…

Why throw money away? Fresh bike sells much better than scratched up one. Given a choice I d k too many people will voluntarily choose a beat up frame over a clean one.

·
40,768 Posts
Same. I used Invisiframe and it works well, looks good, but takes a while to apply. It definitely helps if you can set aside a day, be patient, and take your time.
Yep, a four hour job but worth it. I’ve got a spot or two where a rock flew up and hit the frame. Didn’t hurt the frame but a battle wound in the tape so it did it’s job.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Do any of these really add value to your bike?

Hard or sharp impacts still scratch through it.

The edges eventually peal and get dirty/ dirt under them.

If it has any UV exposure when you peel the wrap off the UV has been magnified and now you have two different colors of paint.

The areas not covered still get dulled from wear and tear exacerbating the above.

What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
3M automotive vinyl tape over key areas. I buy the 2 and 4 inch rolls, which is still cheaper than a tailored kit and can cover 2-3 bikes. I don’t need to cover every little crevice. Just the areas that would be prone to rock chips.

In addition, 3M tape can be installed crappy with bubbles and said bubbles will eventually go away even without poking them with a needle. 3M tape also has some stretch which does aid in installation, especially on curved or angled surfaces. 3M tape doesn’t have to be applied absolutely perfectly and it will still offer protection equivalent to(or exceeding) a $100+ frame specific kit.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

If it has any UV exposure when you peel the wrap off the UV has been magnified and now you have two different colors of paint.

The areas not covered still get dulled from wear and tear exacerbating the above.

What am I missing?

I think they add value and some piece of mind. Why spend 6K on a bike, and then not spend $150 and 4 hrs for some frame protection? Worst case, you wasted $150 + time on a broken frame, and maybe you'll never know if that thin rubber layer actually prevented something worse, but resale value though, I'd bet it pays for itself there.

I wrapped my bike before I built it up. The first ride, still getting used to the new geo, I didn't turn wide enough and skimmed the length of the chain stay against a large rock on the inside of the turn. Only superficial scuffing on the wrap. I was super happy about it then, I can tell you that. Another spot is from heel rub that I notice a good bit of unexpected abuse on the wrap. My downtube protection {thick Shelter Tape) has a couple of good chunks in it, that surely would've left a mark on the frame, or worse.... we'll never know.

·
40,768 Posts

What am I missing?

Its not to add value to the bike it’s to protect and extend its value. Of course there’s going to be direct impacts that go right through the tape. But most glancing impacts the tape will protect. As far as the edges lifting and dirt getting under that can be a problem but it goes back to the quality of the installation. If any edges do peel up just put a new one down using more care on the edge. My bike which I did a year ago with Invisaframe has 32 pieces in the kit. All pieces stuck without issue except one small piece did peel in time. I plan on replacing it soon, no big deal it’s still doing its job and is only cosmetics. Like I said earlier there are a couple spots on my frame that a rock flew up. The tape protected it and there’s just a pin sized hole in the tape where the rock hit. Without the tape the frame would have taken the hit directly. The tape acted as a cushion and defused the force.

My prediction is: Companies will start offering a frame protection tape kit pre-installed as an option when buying a new bike.

·
40,768 Posts
Skim much Finch? 🤣

·
Class Clown
3,341 Posts
Used invisiframe on 2 $$$ bikes, worth it for me to not have paint chips and scratches.

You could definitely cover major areas with a sheet but I like the coverage of the precut kits.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts