Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have XC hardtail bike with Manitou Minute fork (in 100mm,non boost), which is due to complete service.
I can get relatively good price for new RockShox Reba fork from 2018, so I wonder is it worth getting or should I invest almost half of the price of Reba into Manitou service?
The bike is used mostly for light trail riding. I weight about 170lbs, and would prefer to stay non boost since I have pretty good wheelset (dt 350).

Many thanks in advance,

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hum, what exactly is wrong with the Minute that it needs this full service that you can't do yourself? When I had mine it was very easy to service, just download the instructions and read them a few times carefully before you begin, can also probably find a tutorial video on youtube someplace and parts and oil are minimal cost.

Had a Minute years ago and it was a very good fork, really worked well and if yours has the Absolute + damper, I'd say it's a better option to a Reba.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like my Reba from 2013 for the most part. Easily servicable by myself, lightweight, cheap and easy access to service parts, nice manuals, stiffness, low stiction when freshly serviced, but that awkward motion control damper is a mess. When braking hard in city commuting situations the dive is unbearable and when riding on rougher roads I regularly bring it over the edge, thanks to its open bath design and resulting aeration. So while the Reba might be on first glance a good deal, you should set another 200$ aside for a Charger damper upgrade at which point you should think about a SID probably.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Get the Manitou serviced. There is nothing in Rock Shox's lineup short of the Pike that performs as well as the Minute. A Reba will literally feel broken compared to your Manitou and make you hate yourself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hum, what exactly is wrong with the Minute that it needs this full service that you can't do yourself? When I had mine it was very easy to service, just download the instructions and read them a few times carefully before you begin, can also probably find a tutorial video on youtube someplace and parts and oil are minimal cost.

Had a Minute years ago and it was a very good fork, really worked well and if yours has the Absolute + damper, I'd say it's a better option to a Reba.
Currently there is not much wrong with my Manitou fork, but it is three years old without a service, so it does not feel good anymore.

i have tried to service it myself, but I could not find specific manual. I have contacted Manitou for information, but they have forwarded my request to local distributor who does not want to send me required information. They say that Manitou does not allow fork service outside approved service centers, so I have asked for a quote and started thinking about new fork.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like my Reba from 2013 for the most part. Easily servicable by myself, lightweight, cheap and easy access to service parts, nice manuals, stiffness, low stiction when freshly serviced, but that awkward motion control damper is a mess. When braking hard in city commuting situations the dive is unbearable and when riding on rougher roads I regularly bring it over the edge, thanks to its open bath design and resulting aeration. So while the Reba might be on first glance a good deal, you should set another 200$ aside for a Charger damper upgrade at which point you should think about a SID probably.
I would like to get a SID, but there is no non-boost option, so I would have to rebuild my wheel, which require change of hub (dt 350) and all of the spokes. Since I am using my wheels tubeless, I would also have to make new tubeless setup, so it is a lot of work and cost to upgrade.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Currently there is not much wrong with my Manitou fork, but it is three years old without a service, so it does not feel good anymore.

i have tried to service it myself, but I could not find specific manual. I have contacted Manitou for information, but they have forwarded my request to local distributor who does not want to send me required information. They say that Manitou does not allow fork service outside approved service centers, so I have asked for a quote and started thinking about new fork.
Manitou has all their service manuals available on their website. You have the same fork as I do so this is the manual you need.
https://manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/08/2012-Service-Manual-REV2.1.pdf

Everything is pretty straightforward, all you need are basic hand tools, some grease, and correct fluid for the damper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Manitou has all their service manuals available on their website. You have the same fork as I do so this is the manual you need.
https://manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/08/2012-Service-Manual-REV2.1.pdf

Everything is pretty straightforward, all you need are basic hand tools, some grease, and correct fluid for the damper.
Many thanks! I have seen this manual, but I did not understand that it is for my fork. Do you maybe know which oil should I use? I have not seen specification in the document or on the Manitou site.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Many thanks! I have seen this manual, but I did not understand that it is for my fork. Do you maybe know which oil should I use? I have not seen specification in the document or on the Manitou site.
IIRC, any fork oil with a viscosity of around 15cSt will work in the damper, I used Maxima Plush 3wt which is pretty close and readily available in my area. For the splash oil in the lowers, I just used some synthetic motor oil I had lying around. There is an officially recommended semi-bath oil for the lowers but I can't remember what it is.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would like to get a SID, but there is no non-boost option...
I was in the same position as you and ended up getting a 2019 Reba RL into which I installed my RCT3 damper and rebound piston from my 26" SID. I really like this fork. It's light weight and with the RCT3 damper it performs well. I don't have a SID charger 2 fork to compare it to, but for a 120mm travel fork its performance is great. I do own a RS Pike with the Charger 1 RCT3 damper and also a Manitou Mattoc Pro. I'd say the Reba with RCT3 damper is actually better than the RS Pike and almost as good as the Mattoc. Clearly the Pike and Mattoc are stiffer (and mine are 160mm travel forks) but the Reba has great small bump sensitivity without any harsh spiking. I have never noticed any issues with the damper oil getting aerated.

I've also recently installed the SID debonair seal head but I can't really recommend that as it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Having said all of that, you've already got the Manitou so just service it. If you broke it, I'd consider going the Reba RL route as its the only way to get a new non-boost SID-like fork...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know that the manitou ABS damper is very good. You can probly service the fork paying much less costs than half the price of a reba If you buy the oils your self for the lower bath which might save some costs.

·
Registered
11,832 Posts

Who is telling you that Manitou does not allow fork service outside approved centres? Because that is total garbage.

Your fork is very easy to work on. It is three tools to remove the lower legs and change the bath oil. The thing to remember is the 8mm allen key turns clockwise into the leg to release the shaft.

Your minute will outperform the vast majority of suspension forks ever made. It will also outlast them.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Absolutely, never heard of this before, when I had mine they were the easiest and most user serviceable forks out. The bolded part in Dougal's statement is very important, pay close attention to this, or you will break the rod - I did it myself, first time I serviced I took my time, next time I "knew what I was doing" and tried backing it out and snapped the rod .

Who is telling you that Manitou does not allow fork service outside approved centres? Because that is total garbage.

Your fork is very easy to work on. It is three tools to remove the lower legs and change the bath oil. The thing to remember is the 8mm allen key turns clockwise into the leg to release the shaft.

Your minute will outperform the vast majority of suspension forks ever made. It will also outlast them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Mitja from Funsports, official Manitou dealer for Slovenia :)
Many thanks for all advices, I will service the fork myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IIRC, any fork oil with a viscosity of around 15cSt will work in the damper, I used Maxima Plush 3wt which is pretty close and readily available in my area. For the splash oil in the lowers, I just used some synthetic motor oil I had lying around. There is an officially recommended semi-bath oil for the lowers but I can't remember what it is.
Many thanks! I will use the same.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having said all of that, you've already got the Manitou so just service it. If you broke it, I'd consider going the Reba RL route as its the only way to get a new non-boost SID-like fork...
I will use the advice from this thread and try to service my fork. If I fail, I will probably go Sid/Boost route, I have one other non-boost bike that can use non-boost front wheel.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Based in the user friendly maintainability of a Manitou fork, my next fork will be a Manitou. Maybe I'll dump my Reba before I need to spend $ on service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.