Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know what to wear for my races. Looking at pictures, I don't see many racers riding with a Camelbak. Is it a huge disadvantage to carry a Camelbak (small size), a multi-tool. I may not run with a tube/CO2 due to the races only being 15-18 miles and if I flat I am out of the running.

Should I grab a cage and a water bottle? Does it matter? I have raced twice and am a noob.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Camalbak causes me to drink MORE than I should. I get so thirsty during a race, that I fight not draining my water bottles the first 10 miles. I'd suck a camalbak down instantly, then cramp up from over-hydration.

As for being strange, definitely not. In sport I've seen people bring enough water to hydrate all the racers. Expert is more disciplined, but you will see a ton of camalbaks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not strange, but generally not necessary for XC racing. Teach yourself how to use bottles while riding and throw a multi tool/etc in your jersey pocket. In a beginner/sport length race you should be able to get away with a single bottle. My general rule of thumb is one bottle per hour of racing.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I used to use a camelbak but I found it to be constricting and making me overheat. Switched to bottles and I will never use a camelbak again. I keep a multi tool and co2 in my pocket and an inflator, tube, and tire lever taped to my seatpost.

·
UK XC and 'cross rider
37 Posts
y0bailey said:
So I don't know what to wear for my races. Looking at pictures, I don't see many racers riding with a Camelbak. Is it a huge disadvantage to carry a Camelbak (small size), a multi-tool. I may not run with a tube/CO2 due to the races only being 15-18 miles and if I flat I am out of the running.

Should I grab a cage and a water bottle? Does it matter? I have raced twice and am a noob.
Do whatever you feel is comfortable. Try to work out what you need for a race and then adapt based on weather (heat) conditions. It is very common to see dropped bottles on courses. If it's not hot I race that distance with nothing but pre-load fluids. In heat I take a small bottle and try to finish it early, longer races (several hours) I take a camelbak.

I don't like the idea of classifying yourself as out of the running if you flat. If you are quick at changing a tube then you should not lose too many places on a 15-18 mile race and you can still pick up valuable league points. I love to win, but also hate DNFs. It depends on what you're in it for, but if you have only raced twice then I doubt that you are winning, and if you are, you need to go up a class. If people are spaced at 30 second intervals and you can change a tube in 3 minutes, you only lose 5-6 places and are rested so should be able to make up a couple before the finish. OK - maybe that's a bit idealistic but you get the point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you have been using the camelback, that is what I would recommend you race with. Drinking from bottles can be tricky when you are going full gas in a race.

That said, I use bottles because local races are 6 to 8 mile loops so I can carry 1 bottle and pick up a fresh one on each lap.

Whatever you do, carry a spare tube! I had to run/jog 3 miles in the first race of the year after flatting 3 miles into an 18 mile race and finding my spare tube was bad as well. :madman: it sucked, but I made it back to the car, fitted another tube and finished the race even though I was 30 min behind.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I use a camelbak. I really dont see the difference between a 40oz camelbak and two 20oz water bottles. your still hauling the weight, just one is on you, the other the bike. I always see bottles on the ground.

During training rides, I wear a 70oz camelbak. So, the 40oz doesnt seem as bad come race day. Also, I race point to point races, so, no getting a new water bottle every lap.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I race with either or both depending on the course.

The hydrapak air scoop. Why in the hell did they stop making these?? Bought it for $25 years ago and still use it all the time.

I call it the hydration pack for people who hate hydration packs:
-Super light back pack construction
-50 oz max water capacity
-Has these pods that keeps minimal surface area on your back to minimize the wet spot
-Fits high on your back, so you still have access to the rear pockets on your jersey

I usually like having a bottle of mix on the bike, with an appropriate amount of water in the pack (for the course)

I thought the pack was pretty genius, but I guess no one was buying them. Bought a replacement reservoir for it a couple of years ago. Glad those are still available.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, I am going to stick with my tiny camelbak at least for the first few races. I have also been convinced to run with a tube and co2 cart just incase. I don't want to have to hike a bike. That being said I am running tubeless, so if I really flat I have to remove a valve stem, then install tire. Probably won't get that down to 3 minutes of change time. :eekster:

Thanks folks!

·
Vermonter to the Core
435 Posts
camelbak and bottle of mix on the bike.. i dont care what people think when im passing them..
JEM

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.