Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I rode for a few hrs yesterday. There were some muddy spots but nothing impassible. It was 60 deg, perfect riding weather. Thought there would have been more bikers out, mostly hikers & runners. Snow coming tonite so i'm glad i got a ride in cause it may be a few weeks till it dries out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rode for a few hrs yesterday. There were some muddy spots but nothing impassible. It was 60 deg, perfect riding weather. Thought there would have been more bikers out, mostly hikers & runners. Snow coming tonite so i'm glad i got a ride in cause it may be a few weeks till it dries out. :thumbsup:
I'm actually surprised they canceled the race.

·
My little friends
718 Posts
I don't ride Patapsco, I ride the shed in Frederick, but the same should apply: watch the overnight temperature the night before, and if it is well below freezing, head out early in the morning before it warms up and the ground thaws. Even the ice covered trails up here are great as far as traction goes, as long as the surface is frozen and dry. Once it warms up and the surface gets wet, it's all over. Same should go for mud.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I ride Ptap, not sure what people in this thread don't understand, but EABiker is 100% right. Patapsco is perfect right now, and has been for most of the winter IF you ride at dawn or close to it, as long as temps were below 28-30 the night before. During winter in the mid-atlantic, trails freeze at night and thaw when the sun hits them. This makes a mess that will lats until mid march. If its 60 degrees out anytime during Dec-Feb, the trails will be nothing but solid mud. You want to ride when its 25 degrees out, not 60.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Its really really really bad right now. I ride in the winter a lot, almost no matter what, but its melted and refrozen snow out there right now, it sucks your wheel in and stops it. All the other riders I know that normally are out there every day in the winter aren't even riding right now. We need like 2 solid days of above 40 temps to melt the snow, and then it should be good again in the mornings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.