Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering new disk brakes for my 05 Blur with a 05 fox float rlc. They need to know which I want, IS (international standard) or Postmount. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in plain english. Thanks for any help.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
If you read the disk brake FAQs...

askjones said:
I'm ordering new disk brakes for my 05 Blur with a 05 fox float rlc. They need to know which I want, IS (international standard) or Postmount. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in plain english. Thanks for any help.
... in the brake forum, you would see that everybody is IS mount except for Manitou forks these days. There was an older pseudo post mount that Hayes used a few years ago.

If you get disk brakes for post mount, there is a simple adaptor to use it on IS mount. This adds weight, but lets you use whatever fork you want in the future.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
'06 Marz=Post mount

pimpbot said:
... in the brake forum, you would see that everybody is IS mount except for Manitou forks these days. There was an older pseudo post mount that Hayes used a few years ago.

If you get disk brakes for post mount, there is a simple adaptor to use it on IS mount. This adds weight, but lets you use whatever fork you want in the future.
I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that Marzocchi has gone post-mount for their '06 forks.

As for an answer to the OP's original question, The simple difference is in how the brakes have a sort of slotted tab for mounting and ISO threads directly into holes on the tabs. Not a very good explanation, but what you do need to know is that Fox uses ISO mounts.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.