2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.onzatires.com/

There seems to be some interesting offerings,

Lynx Light tires 26x1.95 @ 390g, 120 TPI
Canis tires 26x2 @ 410g, 120 TPI
IBEX 26x2 @ 455g, 120 TPI

an interesting point they make on teh website is that:
Out in the woods we are guests in nature's living room. The onza® joined his friend the IBEX in Switzerland and has created a new tire profile for various riding styles. It leaves small IBEX footprints to show respect towards nature and future generations.

Not sure how that works, as if you use smaller knobs sometimes you end up essentially drifting the corner which would probably hurt the trials more than if you were not drifting.

Anyone seen or used any of the new Onza Tires?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cheers! said:
http://www.onzatires.com/

There seems to be some interesting offerings,

Lynx Light tires 26x1.95 @ 390g, 120 TPI
Canis tires 26x2 @ 410g, 120 TPI
IBEX 26x2 @ 455g, 120 TPI

an interesting point they make on teh website is that:
Out in the woods we are guests in nature's living room. The onza® joined his friend the IBEX in Switzerland and has created a new tire profile for various riding styles. It leaves small IBEX footprints to show respect towards nature and future generations.

Not sure how that works, as if you use smaller knobs sometimes you end up essentially drifting the corner which would probably hurt the trials more than if you were not drifting.

Anyone seen or used any of the new Onza Tires?
The Onza brand name has sure been passed around a lot in the last 15 years. This company has no relation at all to the original that sold the Porc.

I do not see that the knobs of the Ibex model are any smaller than most tires. I think they are referring to the tracks being small in relation to those of the ibex animal (a mountain antelope). It looks like a pretty "standard" tread. Nothing new. Lots of marketing hype.

"Small" knobs may or may not drift more than "large" knobs. Really depends on the overall tread design: tread height, knob spacing, shape, rubber compound; and the specific trail conditions and riding style.

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Bringing back an old thread, but I have just spent a few weeks on the Onza Ibex 2.0, reviewing it for Mountain Biking Australia. I've been quite impressed with it. Good volume for the stated size, good weight (right on 480gm), rolls pretty quickly, and has very good grip in all areas for such a lightweight XC tyre. I think on hardpack there are faster tyres, but in softer conditions it is a very strong contender. Only caveat; the casing is very light, so pinch flats are a concern, although no more so than a maxxis exception casing. FWIW

·
Registered
51 Posts
The seatposts are back in the game....
Just ran into the fellow who designed that unique no-tools seatpost for Onza - his original ad follows. If anyone wants those posts - hit him up at his shop in Northern UT. I'm sure you can get a post for under 50$

Jeff keller
Sunrise Cyclery
sunrisecyclery.net
[email protected]

NADS old ad

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
Me and a few buddies have tried the Ibex and Canis extensively including the UST. The Ibex grips far better than any other tires we've tried for the mixed conditions of our trails. The Ibex especially is the XC tire to use when you like to go rocky downhill at 65kmh or more. It is also super durable, the molding and rubber compound are far better than Maxxis. The cons? Very high rolling resistance which is proven by BIKE mag and felt by our legs. Another minus is they don't have a tubeless ready model and I don't feel like running ghetto tubeless. All in all, if I want a pair of tires that are proven and to be used with tubes, I'd use the Ibex everytime even though I'm a bit of a weight weenie.

The Canis on the other hand doesn't grip much when things get wet so I'd rather use a Hutchinson Cobra instead. Never tried the Lynx...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.