Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first set of wheels and I'm so proud that I'd like to just hang them on the wall instead of ride them! I used both pitch and the TM-1 Park Tension meter to get it within 10% on each side. Very straight and true, but, the UST rims (819) sure take a bit longer.

I set the tension and it seemed good, but, noticed the tension meter seemed to have some resistance on the contact points. I decided to grease the contact points that rest on the spoke and now my reading is about 3 points lower on the meter. Are you supposed to lube those to get an accurate reading? I either have the correct tension, or, it's possibly way too much. What measurement is right??

without grease on contact points Drive side rear on 819s- 145Kgs
with grease- 100Kgs

HELP! I don't want my wheels to explode

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You mean the little metal nubs you place against the spoke by contact points, right? Can't imagine how you could get "resistance" on those, nor why you would put grease on them (or for that matter that grease would make a big reading difference, but never thought to try nor do I remember that being any sort of recommendation from Park).

Hopefully you don't have 145 kgf, that's too high for a Mavic rim...more like 90-110 range I think is recommended...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Any place there is motion between moving metal parts where you want to reduce friction oil or grease is a good idea.

I would personally trust the reading after grease was applied. I always apply a small drop of light oil to my TM-1.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll trust the reading after the grease. I noticed when stress relieving the wheel on one side (the lesser tension side), the rim seemed like it wasn't very solid. It sure seemed to not have enough tension.

After reading some other posts about people worried about too much tension, the reading with the grease on those points has got to be right. It's no where near the feeling that it's tight enough to round the nipple...even with a cheap spoke wrench.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.