Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that my steering tube on my fork is not perfectly round. It is different in diameter by about 0.6mm from one measurement to the measurement 90 degrees from the previous. I believe I did this when I over tightened the stem without a spacer between the headset cap and the stem. Is there a way I can correct this or is my only option a new steering tube? Btw, its a Fox F100 RL 32, non tapered steering tube.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Try putting a stem on and crush it round again. Use a cheap stem so when you strip the threads you don't trash a nice one.

Then buy a torque wrench to help you say tight is good.

PK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I rotated the stem 90 degrees from normal and torqued it down hard. It got the steering tube nearly perfectly round by doing this. I put the stem on and torqued it correctly. I then took the stem off and checked the tube again. The top of the tube measured 28.65mm one way and 28.35 mm the other. As I measured farther down the tube it was closer and closer to perfectly round. Is this an acceptable difference?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've never been that anal about my steerer tube circumfrince (sp?) so I'm nost sure if there are toleralnces for such a thing. I would say if it isn't cracked, crack-ing or creaking it should be fine.

FYI, only manufacturer I know of that will replace just a steerer tube is marzocchi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.