Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bipolar roller
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot adjust my rear deore LX derailleur to go into low and high gear. I have tried every adjustment I could, increasing and decreasing tension on the cable, as well as messing with the adjustment screws. I can get it to go into either the lowest gear or the highest gear, but not both.

The closest I can get to having the derailleur get to both high and low gears is to end up having both adjustment screws as loose as possible, to the point where they are almost all the way out. This doesn't seem right and it's not getting it into both the low and high gear anyways.

Might be a dumb question, but before I buy a new derailleur I figured I would ask if this means it's shot to make sure.

Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I cannot adjust my rear deore LX derailleur to go into low and high gear. I have tried every adjustment I could, increasing and decreasing tension on the cable, as well as messing with the adjustment screws. I can get it to go into either the lowest gear or the highest gear, but not both.

The closest I can get to having the derailleur get to both high and low gears is to end up having both adjustment screws as loose as possible, to the point where they are almost all the way out. This doesn't seem right and it's not getting it into both the low and high gear anyways.

Might be a dumb question, but before I buy a new derailleur I figured I would ask if this means it's shot to make sure.

Any help would be great.
Disconnect the cable.
Reset the limit screws.
Reattach the cable.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Bipolar roller
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Still on kid duty so i will give it a try when he goes down for a nap. But before I do I wanted to know what this 3rd screw does.

It's the screw to the right of the two limit screws in the middle of the pic.

What is it for?

Attachments

·
Bipolar roller
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed. Thanks so much.

Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it and the adjusting the limit screws worked perfect. I used the third screw in the pic above to fine tune the lowest gear. It was bumping a little and turning the screw clockwise a few turns fixed that.

However, I think it might be time to replace my cables. It's been a while.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Fixed. Thanks so much.

Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it and the adjusting the limit screws worked perfect. I used the third screw in the pic above to fine tune the lowest gear. It was bumping a little and turning the screw clockwise a few turns fixed that.

However, I think it might be time to replace my cables. It's been a while.
that screw in the back is called the "b" screw, it's used to adjust the throw and closeness of the upper jockey wheel to the cassette... you adjust it by shifting all the way to the larges cog on the cassette and measuring the distance from the teeth on the jockey to the teeth on the cassette.. most drive trains it should be about 6-8mm from the point of the teeth to each other.

some older and many of the newer high gear (10 and 11 speed) derailleurs are now different so check for your actual model derailleur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.