Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i serviced everything on my manitou marvel. Before service its damper fluid leaks. So i observed it while servicing. No damage on the rebound damper. So i serviced everything and rebuilt it back. But the issue still persist. Everything works fine but i just hate it because the rebound knob is always wet. Is my fork trash now?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You probably just need to replace an o-ring somewhere in the vicinity of the rebound damper. Or better yet - replace all seals. The fork is, if memory serves me, at least several years old at this point, so replacement of seals is long due..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably just need to replace an o-ring somewhere in the vicinity of the rebound damper. Or better yet - replace all seals. The fork is, if memory serves me, at least several years old at this point, so replacement of seals is long due..
Sadly, it's not an O-Ring problem bro. All of them are new, and the leak comes from the rebound knob, no o-ring is attached from that system :( i guess will just ride this thing like this. I love this fork, but the replacement dsmper is not available in my country.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sadly, it's not an O-Ring problem bro. All of them are new, and the leak comes from the rebound knob, no o-ring is attached from that system :( i guess will just ride this thing like this. I love this fork, but the replacement dsmper is not available in my country.
Unless the damper has a crack or some type of physical damage, if it leaks, there must be some type of seal that has failed, is badly assembled, or is missing somewhere. And that probably is an o-ring as @uzurpator said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the damper has a crack or some type of physical damage, if it leaks, there must be some type of seal that has failed, is badly assembled, or is missing somewhere. And that probably is an o-ring as @uzurpator said.
i think i fixed it earlier after 3hrs of frustration. I rebuilt it 4x. 500ml of 5w oil was used due to some experiment so i ended up putting 10w40 multi visc. Oil on damper side (it won't damage the seal i guess). What i did is removed everything that i can remove on the damper rod, cleaned it, dried it. Put teflon 5-6 wraps on leg thread (but this isn't the issue cause no leaks on my semi bath). After i rebuilt it, i went on a 5km ride and saw a too little amount of oil. Very little almost no bearing unlike before it drips. And until now it's dry even tho i cycled the fork many times. I wish this is a good sign, idk what i did good enough to stop the leak or lessen it so i cannot give a proper advice on anyone who experienced it. I guess all i can say is try to rebuild the rebound damper. It's your last chance anyway before replacement. Cheers.

TL;DR I THINK I FIXED IT AFTER 3 HRS OF FRUSTRATION

1 - 5 of 5 Posts