Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two pictures of the cage plate near my lower pulley, looking at it from along the wheel. I don't have a bike stand, so the bike is upside-down, so the lower pulley is actually sticking up in the air. It's been like this for a while and I'm not sure if it's affecting the action of my derailleur or chain. I just wanted some comments on this: anything I should spend money on fixing?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looks fine to me. Are you asking because you are getting poor performance from your drivetrain? Or just the curious result of an eye test?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
The black chain plate is somewhat bent out in the right photo...

But rear jocky wheel appears to be still in-line....

If you want stripp the derailer down and gently hammer the chain plate back to flat and reassemble...

I wouldn't bother unless shifting is affected...and I doubt that it is because the wheel still appears straight.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The best way to check for a twisted cage is to watch the chain as it engages coming from the other pulley. If the chain appears to be in a straight line, and engaging the center of the pulley, rather than crabbing from either side the cage is straight.

The next thing is whether it's square (vertical) and you can eyeball that by looking from the back or top, and comparing to the cassette.

The last thing is whether it's twisted and check that by shifting to an aligned pair of sprockets say the 3rd and large chainring and seeing if the chain is feeding straight onto the pulley.

BTW- squareness depends on a square hanger, so check that first. If the hanger is square but the cage isn't the RD or cage are bent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts