Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've bought a 2003 Kona Kikapu FS, and have been riding it XC and single track for about 6 months (bar the past 5 as I've been injured). I've been reading around and can't make my mind up whether my frame is too small. I knew I wanted a small frame because I like throwing the bike around a bit on the trails. My Frame is about 18" I think, and I'm 6'4". I ride with the seat post up and saddle right back, and it seems to suit me.

The only trouble is, is I'm new to all of this, and this is my first proper bike. It feels right, but I don't really have anything to judge it against.

Anyone with any experience please help! Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
First thing is that bike fit is MOST important. That being said it sound like you are comfortable on the bike. Depends on what you are riding as far as size goes. Sound like it is too small but if you are comfortable that is what matters. Is there any of your friends that have bikes that are bigger you could try for a ride to see if they feel even better? If not how about demoing or renting abike to see what it feels like.

·
Registered
175 Posts
After getting yourself a bike, it's time to have fun. Get out and ride hard as often as possible!!! That's a great bike, btw. I usually ride a 17" frame but could be on either a 15" or 19" depends on manufactures. Check these sites. http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/
http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp

griggaa said:
Hi,

I've bought a 2003 Kona Kikapu FS, and have been riding it XC and single track for about 6 months (bar the past 5 as I've been injured). I've been reading around and can't make my mind up whether my frame is too small. I knew I wanted a small frame because I like throwing the bike around a bit on the trails. My Frame is about 18" I think, and I'm 6'4". I ride with the seat post up and saddle right back, and it seems to suit me.

The only trouble is, is I'm new to all of this, and this is my first proper bike. It feels right, but I don't really have anything to judge it against.

Anyone with any experience please help! Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks evryone. much apreciated.

I'm looking at other bikes on the market at the moment to see if one takes my fancy. Any suggestions for a FS bike that I can race now and again, and that will also take a bit more of a beating than your normal xc bike... oh and one that will fit me properly too? I've been looking at the santa cruz blur... may be outta my price range tho.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love my Burner for race / tough trail rides.
griggaa said:
Thanks evryone. much apreciated.

I'm looking at other bikes on the market at the moment to see if one takes my fancy. Any suggestions for a FS bike that I can race now and again, and that will also take a bit more of a beating than your normal xc bike... oh and one that will fit me properly too? I've been looking at the santa cruz blur... may be outta my price range tho.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you tried Fisher?! The Cake line is awesome. I'm 6'3" and I ride a XL Cake 2 DLX. It runs about $2K, but worth every penny. It rides like a bmx. But if I were you, whatever you get, get a large or XL for sure, depends on inseam. Good Luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone. I've started to think that my frame probably is too small, and have looked around my LBS's for other bikes.

For some strange reason I'm drawn to the long travel HT's that are everywhere at the moment and have been looking at a Cove Stiffee, or even a Marin Rock Ridge. Has anyone got any opinions on these bikes at all?

Can I just take the bits off of my Kikapu (except fork) and buy the Cove frame??

Thanks Again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.