Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's hard to say when all you have are pictures, but just from looking, what do you think?

It's my 2004 Marin Bear Valley, a steel bike that I was about to sell. This is on the derailleur side rear dropout.

Let me know if the pictures don't work.
-Thanks

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,209 Posts
RideFaster said:
Let me know if the pictures don't work.
-Thanks

By looking at the pictures it's too hard to tell.

·
Registered
511 Posts
All I can see are some deep scratches from chain rub? I would take it to your local shop and ask the chief mechanic (not the high school kid there for the summer) to look at it.

·
Stone Jack Baller
544 Posts
It looks like a deep scratch to me. I have never seen a crack on a weld like that.:skep: It would more than likely crack along the edge of the weld. Just my opinion though.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
It looks like a gouge caused by the chain jumping off the smallest cog. I'd burnish it out, slap a bit of touch up paint and be done with it.

·
38,209 Posts
Zanetti said:
It looks like a gouge caused by the chain jumping off the smallest cog. I'd burnish it out, slap a bit of touch up paint and be done with it.
The OP did say he was selling it right? So you're saying "hide it" by doing an Earl Shieb job on it and bondo over the crack and re-sell it as "in like new condition". Telling him to be a shiester because the world needs more people like that.;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
The OP did say he was selling it right? So you're saying "hide it" by doing an Earl Shieb job on it and bondo over the crack and re-sell it as "in like new condition". Telling him to be a shiester because the world needs more people like that.;)
That's not the impression I got from reading his post. He's saying it is a gouge, caused by chain rub, and to smooth it out and repaint it. What is wrong with that?

Maybe I can help with the definition of burnish: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burnish

Has nothing to do with bondo.

·
38,209 Posts
1996cc said:
That's not the impression I got from reading his post. He's saying it is a gouge, caused by chain rub, and to smooth it out and repaint it. What is wrong with that?

Maybe I can help with the definition of burnish: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burnish

Has nothing to do with bondo.
The bondo statement was a joke. I know the difference between bondo and burnishing it out and repainting it. Either way, what I was referring to was the fact that he as a seller is "hiding" a flaw whether it is a gouge or a crack and then selling it with the buyer none the wiser. I as a buyer would rather purchase a mountain bike with all of its war wounds in tact without any of them being disguised by restoration. This way I can see the kind of treatment the bike has lived through. I then can make my decision on whether or not I want to purchase it "as is" with no warranty.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought it to the very knowledgeable people at my local REI (they really are pretty good w/bikes) and the guy said it was definitely not a crack.

I was kinda hoping it was so I could get a new frame and sell it for more, but oh well.

Thanks everybody!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts