Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
video

Bike is a 2005 specialized stumpjumper fsr pro 120 with a manitou minute 100mm travel fork.
Last service is unknown since I got it used.
What can this be? Will a standard service fix this? Its not the wheel I tried it without it on.

EDIT:
So I found the source of the clunking its a thinner spring that's in the main big spring and it's a tad bit too short, so whenever the fork is compressed, it clunks. Or its the SPV mechanism opening, that probably needs servicing ?

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
SPV clunks when the snap-valve gets sticky. Literally just a clean out and regrease of the valve under the piston will fix that.

Those forks had a 10lb/in booster spring inside the main. It'll go quiet with enough grease. Use a lithium grease that clings well to the steel spring.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
Yea it looks like it can support very little weight, so if it happens again I'll definitely take it out. Anyway there's not enough sag, and I like a softer fork.
Taking it out will move you down a spring-rate. Super helpful if that's what you're after. Best removal method is to lever the end-coil open with a screw-driver and wind the coil out with a set of needle-nose pliers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SPV clunks when the snap-valve gets sticky. Literally just a clean out and regrease of the valve under the piston will fix that.

Those forks had a 10lb/in booster spring inside the main. It'll go quiet with enough grease. Use a lithium grease that clings well to the steel spring.
It was definitely the SPV, you're right, but for my fork it was actually because there was 0 air pressure in the SPV mechanism whatsoever. I pumped 100 PSI's and the clunking went away completely.

Taking it out will move you down a spring-rate. Super helpful if that's what you're after. Best removal method is to lever the end-coil open with a screw-driver and wind the coil out with a set of needle-nose pliers.
Thanks for the explanation, it is very helpful :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.